Ranking of perio programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ip

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys & gals: I was wondering if there is any feeling about the best and worst perio programs. I'm specifically interested in those in LA or NY areas that pay. I'm narrowing it down quite a bit, I know. UCLA and NYVA pay a decent salary from what I see on perio.org. Thoughts on VA programs in general?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

maybe im biased but I hear nothing but the best about perio at san antonio. they do some amazing implant research here.

There doesn?t seem to be allot of people interested in Perio which is a shame, to me it seems to have a great future. Does anyone have any information on the average income of a Periodontist and competitiveness in private practice?

I can tell you that American schools apear alot better than the Canadian ones I interviewed at where you place on average only 10 implants in the 3 years.

Members don't see this ad :)
10? jeez, i know for a fact that most san antonio perio residents place at least one per week

texas_dds said:
10? jeez, i know for a fact that most san antonio perio residents place at least one per week

Most US perio grads have placed in the range of 15-40 implants. Not a lot.

I saw that someone here mentioned UCLA as a weak program... any thoughts on why?

After some preliminary research on programs, these have stood out to me for various reasons. Any thoughts?

Texas at San Antonio
UCLA
UI Chicago
Baylor
UCSF
SUNY Buffalo
Med College Virginia

Thanks.

(northcity: yes, that's me at dentaltown)

I asked a perio prof his opinion on the perio programs. I think he was being honest since he told me not to go to his program (which will remain unnamed). Of the programs you have mentioned, he only recommended UTSA and Baylor. According to the school's website, UIC has only part-time faculty, but I recently spoke to some UIC students and they say it's improving. The cost of living and tuition of some of the big-named schools in the large cities isn't worth it when you can go to some equally good programs at smaller schools. But if you need the city life go for it.