ranking of programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGoodLife3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im interested in going for a master degree in health administration. I currently attend a small private university because my father is a professor there. They offer a masters degree in health administration that I would be able to attend for free. My career goals would be to run a hospital someday.. is the ranking of a graduate program more important than attending a free program?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, it really depends. You have to look at whether you see yourself overseeing a small community hospital or a major health system with thousands of beds. If it's the former, the ranking won't really matter as much, work ethic will be the biggest factor. But if it's the latter, the higher the rank, the more recognizable the "brand" which will help you move up the ladder a lot easier.

I would assume the amount of debt you would take up if you went to another program would play a factor as well.

If you can do it for free, that sounds like a no brainer to me. What connections you make and where you end up doing some sort of work will dictate your career far more than the university you graduate from.