Ranking of Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Opii

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
There has been numerous questions regarding ranking of schools. Since NBEO in the US doesn't publish their findings you can check out the Canadian rankings.

CSAO Examinations (PDF)
www.ceo-eco.org/2004 CSAO Summary Report.pdf

Members don't see this ad.

That's a report on students who passed the Candian boards. From what I can tell it has nothing to do with ranking OD schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry, the link i posted wasnt meant to midlead anyone that it was for a ranking of schools.

the link Opii posted didnt work, so i posted the most recent and updated report on the Canadian boards.

That's a report on students who passed the Candian boards. From what I can tell it has nothing to do with ranking OD schools.

Read Page 5 and 7 on Carizma's link. You can get a pretty good idea who does well.
Seems some schools toot their horns louder than they should.

CPW is not correct.

Read Page 5 and 7 on Carizma's link. You can get a pretty good idea who does well.
Seems some schools toot their horns louder than they should.

CPW is not correct.

The sample size is just not large enough to make any significant conclusion when it comes to Canadian students. You cannot rank the OD schools when 1) not all schools are included (no Canadian students) and 2) you are solely focusing on students that take the Canadian boards. You can make any personal inferences you want, but its not a valid ranking at all. I know that wasn't the purpose of posting the results of the Canadian Board passing rates but my point is your sample size is extremely small for those US schools included and biased. That's all, meaning cpw is correct. Not to say it isn't an interesting report.

The sample size is just not large enough to make any significant conclusion when it comes to Canadian students. You cannot rank the OD schools when 1) not all schools are included (no Canadian students) and 2) you are solely focusing on students that take the Canadian boards. You can make any personal inferences you want, but its not a valid ranking at all. I know that wasn't the purpose of posting the results of the Canadian Board passing rates but my point is your sample size is extremely small for those US schools included and biased. That's all, meaning cpw is correct. Not to say it isn't an interesting report.

Sample size is larger if you add the results from years past. And it looks somewhat consistant. I think it does say something....

So what is the purpose of posting the results of the Canadian Boards?

Sample size is larger if you add the results from years past. And it looks somewhat consistant. I think it does say something....

So what is the purpose of posting the results of the Canadian Boards?

To compare the two Canadian schools with eachother. These results may have a little credibility if you looked at just those two. The small sample sizes are not dependable for the US schools, there's no other way to say it. Even if you add the number of students for X number of years you will still have too small a sample size. Any inferences about those are not dependable and not backed up with real statistics.

To compare the two Canadian schools with eachother. These results may have a little credibility if you looked at just those two. The small sample sizes are not dependable for the US schools, there's no other way to say it. Even if you add the number of students for X number of years you will still have too small a sample size. Any inferences about those are not dependable and not backed up with real statistics.

I can't speak to this as I have never taken the Canadian boards but speaking to some classmates who did and did NOT pass, they said that essentially prescribing philosophy was different in Canada than in the USA. They claimed that they did not pass the case analysis section because for every patient who had some sort of binocular problem, they answered that the best treatment was vision therapy. The answer that was looked for was prism. ON the national board exam in the USA, the correct answer WOULD have been VT. When they retook the test and answered "prism" to every binocular vision question, they passed with flying colors.

It seems like the passing results of the Canadian optometry exam is probably not the best tool to use when judging the education of the various American optometry schools.

And what, exactly, do you think it says? I'm getting nothing over here...:rolleyes:

Listen, listen hard.

I suppose the Canadian boards are "irresponsable" for printing these statistics and all of you know it all:rolleyes:

I can't speak to this as I have never taken the Canadian boards but speaking to some classmates who did and did NOT pass, they said that essentially prescribing philosophy was different in Canada than in the USA. They claimed that they did not pass the case analysis section because for every patient who had some sort of binocular problem, they answered that the best treatment was vision therapy. The answer that was looked for was prism. ON the national board exam in the USA, the correct answer WOULD have been VT. When they retook the test and answered "prism" to every binocular vision question, they passed with flying colors.

It seems like the passing results of the Canadian optometry exam is probably not the best tool to use when judging the education of the various American optometry schools.

Yea, if Canadian or US boards were only that simple.

Listen, listen hard.

While your cryptic messages are entertaining... I'm still getting nothing. There is no formalized ranking of optometry schools because everyone's needs and desires for a school are different. What is right for me isn't right for you, and vice versa. Considering I won't be registering for the Canadian boards anytime in the near future, that article really isn't doing a whole lot for me. :sleep:

I don't know it all... but I do know that I'm not Canadian and am thus not worried about how well a school will prepare me for a test I'll never take. Doing well on the NBEO is my responsibility, not my school's. They give me the tools... I have to do the work.

Sometimes I wish I was a Canadian - what a great country. This is by no means meant to be sarcastic.

Sometimes I wish I was a Canadian - what a great country. This is by no means meant to be sarcastic.

You know that you don't have to be "Canadian" to live in Canada... You can just go live there...Just FYI.

Listen, listen hard.

I suppose the Canadian boards are "irresponsable" for printing these statistics and all of you know it all:rolleyes:

no, we're saying your logic is flawed. You can't rank OD schools based on who passes the Canadian boards. US OD schools don't prep students for the Canadian boards, so they're not going to perform as well. That doesn't mean they're sub-standard. Also, no one from UHCO (where I went ) and many other US schools are even shown in the results.. so you really can't make a general statement about US OD schools as a whole without a comprehensive comparison.

The Canadian board can post whatever they want. We're just saying you can rank OD schools based on the results because they're not comprehensive or even represent all of the schools in the US.

someone should really rank these schools and solve these "rank" posts that pops up every year

someone should really rank these schools and solve these "rank" posts that pops up every year

I agree that the rank threads are getting old. But, would you have gone to a different school if someone said, "Oh, School X huh? *cough* Well, that's not a very high ranked school, but whatever..."?

Yeah, for simple reasons.
1. people always like to compare themselves to others.
2. people like to seek out the 'elite' schools so they can brag to their friends.
3. people like to think by attending an 'elite' school they'd have an easier time after graduation. (sometimes that's a false sense of security)