• AMA with Certified Student Loan Professional

Join SDN on December 7th at 6:00 PM Eastern as we host Andrew Paulson of StudentLoanAdvice.com for an AMA webinar. He'll be answering your questions about how to best manage your student loans. Register now!

"Ranking" PA Programs?

tony1853

Career Switcher!
10+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
Staten Island, NY
    I was wondering if there is some "ranking" of PA programs, i.e., the top 3 or 5 or 10 programs. I haven't started my PA program yet, and there others here that I can investigate.

For example, do PA's that graduate from the program at Weill Medical College of Cornell University (in Manhattan) get more job offers, higher starting salaries, great initial responsibilities, etc., than one graduating from a school/program of lesser recognition (for example, I intend to enter the program offered by the College of Staten Island (CUNY)/Harlem Hospital Center)? :confused:

Any info/insight/data would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

Monika

PA-C
    7+ Year Member
    15+ Year Member
    Aug 15, 2002
    South Central USA
      Here is a list & old thread about PA school rankings from U.S. News.

You will see a consensus opinion on what most people think about this ranking list there.

Speak to grads, faculty, current students, & admin from each program. Do your homework & research the programs you are interested in. Visit the program & talk to current students there. That should give you a good gut instinct about the program & if it is a good fit for you.

M :)

hospPA

7+ Year Member
      15+ Year Member
      Apr 23, 2003
      USA
        tony1853 said:
        I was wondering if there is some "ranking" of PA programs, i.e., the top 3 or 5 or 10 programs. I haven't started my PA program yet, and there others here that I can investigate.

For example, do PA's that graduate from the program at Weill Medical College of Cornell University (in Manhattan) get more job offers, higher starting salaries, great initial responsibilities, etc., than one graduating from a school/program of lesser recognition (for example, I intend to enter the program offered by the College of Staten Island (CUNY)/Harlem Hospital Center)? :confused:

Any info/insight/data would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

In my experience and practice, it makes no difference which PA program you went to. "ranking" is a bunch of garbage IMHO. I guess the PANCE pass rate is important, but everything else is just too subjective to mean anything.

Pat

tony1853

Career Switcher!
        10+ Year Member
        Jan 29, 2005
        Staten Island, NY
          Thanks Pat. Coming out of the biz world, I am used to scenarios under which a city college BS will get you $50K out of college, whereas a Harvard BS will get you $110K out of college...

Regarding pass rate, I know that the Harlem Hospital program I am going into has had a 100% PANCE pass rate in the last 2 years.

hospPA said:
          In my experience and practice, it makes no difference which PA program you went to. "ranking" is a bunch of garbage IMHO. I guess the PANCE pass rate is important, but everything else is just too subjective to mean anything.

Pat

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.