Ranking preliminary surgery programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

David>Goliath1

Reaction score
Below are the programs I am in the running to match for a surgery preliminary year. I have really no idea how to organize these beyond location. How would you rank if location is not a factor?

Stanford
BWH
NYU
Columbia
UTSW
Northwestern
University of Arizona
UC Irvine

Any advice and pros and cons would be great to keep in mind when I finalize my rank list!

Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Is your ultimate goal to match categorical GS?

If so, the questions to ask are: which ones take their own categoricals? Which ones help you get a categorical spot the next year?

Reactions: 1 user
Is your ultimate goal to match categorical GS?

If so, the questions to ask are: which ones take their own categoricals? Which ones help you get a categorical spot the next year?
I hope to end up in an integrated interventional radiology residency with the backup being DR. Even if I match DR, I will most likely rank surgery high because I think it's a great way to learn anatomy!

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah okay then yeah, just go with location or wherever you felt it was chillest during your interviews. For surgery prelim you hardly will be in the OR, just fyi - so if your goal is to learn surgical anatomy you should look into the programs that boasted about high case numbers during intern year.

Reactions: 2 users
I hope to end up in an integrated interventional radiology residency with the backup being DR. Even if I match DR, I will most likely rank surgery high because I think it's a great way to learn anatomy!
I have interviewed at TY programs w/o surgery residency where interns are first assist on all surgical rotations, write zero to minimal notes (and essentially 0 scutwork), only do procedures and develop incredible autonomy by the time they graduate. I am gunning DR, but haven't ruled out ESIR yet and plan to rank such a TY #1.

I strongly agree with the above comment. At any major university program with a surgical residency, you will be relegated to scutwork/floorwork and many not get much OR time. If I were you, I would want to speak with current surgical interns at those programs and clarify how much OR time they are getting.

Reactions: 2 users
Ah okay then yeah, just go with location or wherever you felt it was chillest during your interviews. For surgery prelim you hardly will be in the OR, just fyi - so if your goal is to learn surgical anatomy you should look into the programs that boasted about high case numbers during intern year.
Yeah, that's what I am afraid of. I noticed that during my surgery sub-I the prelims did all of the scut work while the categoricals were in the OR. I do NOT want this experience. I want to leave feeling as good as a surgery categorical does after PGY1. Thank you for the tip!

I have interviewed at TY programs w/o surgery residency where interns are first assist on all surgical rotations, write zero to minimal notes (and essentially 0 scutwork), only do procedures and develop incredible autonomy by the time they graduate. I am gunning DR, but haven't ruled out ESIR yet and plan to rank such a TY #1.

I strongly agree with the above comment. At any major university program with a surgical residency, you will be relegated to scutwork/floorwork and many not get much OR time. If I were you, I would want to speak with current surgical interns at those programs and clarify how much OR time they are getting

I've heard similar stories, which makes me wonder why advanced programs haven't picked up on this reality. Sure, surgery prelim sounds good on paper, but what actually happens is a division of labor where one is a glorified secretary and the other is cultivating useful surgical skills.

I will strongly consider the TYs at IR programs that don't mandate a surgery preliminary year! Thanks for the advice :D

I strongly agree with the above comment. At any major university program with a surgical residency, you will be relegated to scutwork/floorwork and many not get much OR time. If I were you, I would want to speak with current surgical interns at those programs and clarify how much OR time they are getting.