Ranking Tracks

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aliendancer84

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say you applied to two different tracks at the same program (categorical/primary care/advocacy/global health/etc), would it be silly to rank programs like:

1. Program A "other track"
2. Program B
3. Program A "categorical track"
4. etc

I know the majority of the training between the two tracks at any given program is very similar...

What are people's thoughts on this?

Members don't see this ad.

To fashion a rank list in this manner does not make a whole lot of sense to me. The only circumstance in which this makes sense is if you ABSOLUTELY feel the same about your top 2 programs, with nothing to differentiate how much you like them, AND they each offer similar tracks. Then perhaps this might make sense (if and only if A=B and categ>primary care):

1. program A (categ)
2. program B (categ)
3. program A (primary care)
4. program B (primary care)

My experience on the trail is that all of these tracks have very little differences in the grand scheme of things, maybe 3 rotations over 3 years. Not a deal-breaker for me.

To fashion a rank list in this manner does not
make a whole lot of sense to me. The only circumstance in which this makes sense is if you ABSOLUTELY feel the same about your top 2 programs, with nothing to differentiate how much you like them, AND they each offer similar tracks. Then perhaps this might make sense (if and only if A=B and categ>primary care):

1. program A (categ)
2. program B (categ)
3. program A (primary care)
4. program B (primary care)

My experience on the trail is that all of these tracks have very little differences in the grand scheme of things, maybe 3 rotations over 3 years. Not a deal-breaker for me.

I am going to rank by splitting tracks at programs. Sometimes I liked the program + special track far more than the categorical track, or vice versa. For me, it makes a big enough difference. I think it makes perfect sense. I'm sure there are people who will rank many primary care tracks above the categoricals at the same programs. I have a friend doing internal med who is doing the same for international medicine tracks.