• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

• How To ACE Your Medical School Interview

In this webinar hosted by SDN with experts from BeMo Academic Consulting, you will learn a simple five-step process to help you translate your interview invitation into an acceptance.

newenglandgal07

10+ Year Member
Feb 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do any of you know people who ranked very few programs (because they would rather reapply than end up at a program they didn't want) and actually not match?
I am only ranking 5 maybe 4 programs in IM (3 of them very competitive, top tier programs) and I just wonder what people end up doing if they don't match? I don't know if I would have the energy or drive to do this all over again!

dynx

Yankee Imperialist
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2003
IN YOUR HEAD...let me out!
Status (Visible)
  1. Fellow [Any Field]
Do any of you know people who ranked very few programs (because they would rather reapply than end up at a program they didn't want) and actually not match?
I am only ranking 5 maybe 4 programs in IM (3 of them very competitive, top tier programs) and I just wonder what people end up doing if they don't match? I don't know if I would have the energy or drive to do this all over again!

Then rank more programs. I think that the standard advice is to rank any program that you would rather be at than scramble. You sound like you really don't want to scramble, which seems wise. So why not rank more?

EaglesPA

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

If 3 of the 4 programs you would be ranking are very competitive, top tier programs, then I will bet that most of the programs you interviewed at (and are thinking about not ranking) will be "better" than any of the programs that will have open Categorical positions during the Scramble. You have to ask yourself why you are thinking about not ranking the programs - 1. did you hate it there, 2. is it in a city you definitely don't want to be there etc.?
3. or is it just that you don't like them as much as your top 4/5. If your reason is more like #3, I would rank them to be on the safe side.
In the end you'll likely match within your top 4, but you never know.....
I'm ranking all 10 programs I interviewed at although I'm pretty sure I'll match within my top 3.

About the Ads

mig26x

15+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2004
Miami, FL
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Im ranking all 7 programs that I interviewed at, I think those 7 are better than the 90% of the program available at the scramble!!!

Shah_Patel_PT

MD
10+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2005
MI, NY, CA, Fl, NV
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

Ross Univ...recommends ranking up to 15 programs to its students to maximize matching.

US grads have nothing to worry about.

turkleton

Capeless Crusader
10+ Year Member
Dec 26, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Ross Univ...recommends ranking up to 15 programs to its students to maximize matching.

What the hell kind of advice is that? It barely even makes any sense.

As the another thread showed, there is about a 80-87% chance of matching in one of your top 3 choices in medicine so there is obviously a risk of you not matching if you only rank 3. Do what the others said- rank more unless you really want to scramble or wait another year.

marshmallows

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]

that makes no sense.. losts of people dont even interview at that many programs.. just rank more than 3 if you ahve them or just rank the ones you would want to be at rather than scramble

EaglesPA

10+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
that makes no sense.. losts of people dont even interview at that many programs.. just rank more than 3 if you ahve them or just rank the ones you would want to be at rather than scramble

Well, Ross University is one of the Carribean med schools and IMGs have to interview at many more programs since the decks are stacked against them in the process.

werewethere

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Well, Ross University is one of the Carribean med schools and IMGs have to interview at many more programs since the decks are stacked against them in the process.

However, as indicated in another post, once you get past the interview screening process, IMG/FMG candidates have similar top 3 match rates overall to AMGs.

gardilimo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 27, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
if you do not match (Lets say you only rank 3 programs), are you committed to scramble or can you just say screw it?

jennie 21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 8, 2003
Princeton
Status (Visible)
The question you need to ask yourself is, would you rather end up at a program that is not in your top 4-5 or would you rather scramble/go thru the whole process again next year, in the worst-case scenario that you don't match in your top 4-5 (which you most likely will).

Dr. ZZ

10+ Year Member
Sep 8, 2006
Philadelphia, PA
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
interview offers:
IM- 13
FP- 8

Interviews attended:
IM-10; 5 university programs / 5 community programs
FP- 0

Ranking:
IM-10
FP- 0

So, i think you should rank every place you interviewed at...Im sure you wont get a better position thru the scramble...very rarely do you get good spots thru the scramble....

D

deleted109597

if you do not match (Lets say you only rank 3 programs), are you committed to scramble or can you just say screw it?
Nobody is holding a gun to your head. You can go work at Burger King if you want.
You likely won't get a residency spot if you don't scramble though. There are usually very few spots after the scramble, and it will be another year before you can match. Sometimes PGY-1 spots open up though.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.