"Ranking You Highly"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

East Coast

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If a program states that they are "ranking you very highly" how much can one count on matching at that program?

Members don't see this ad.

aww, i liked the other reply better :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Nobody has said that to me. Is that cause to worry? I mean I've gotten a good vibe from some of the programs, but noone has said anything specific like that.

Nobody has said that to me. Is that cause to worry? I mean I've gotten a good vibe from some of the programs, but noone has said anything specific like that.

Increase your paroxetine to 60 mg daily and take alprazolam, 0.5-1 mg prn any further thoughts about what programs are thinking of you and how they communicate that.

If a program states that they are "ranking you very highly" how much can one count on matching at that program?

No way to tell unless you actually know this person & know they would only say that if they meant it.

A good rule of thumb: Don't bank on anything when it comes to comments about ranking from program directors, or those speaking on their behalf. It's easy to get burned this way come match time. The top programs in psychiatry are just as competitive as those in more traditionally competitive specialties and there are no guarantees.

On another note, resist programs' attempts to have you commit to them early in exchange for promises of a "sure" spot. There are programs, even reputable ones, that will do this despite it being against official regulations of the match. I experienced this at Montefiore a couple of years ago.

So frustrating! I was told by my #1 program that i am "one of their top candidates" which is great to hear, but I figure you can't bank on anything. So do I shell out the extra money and finish off my last two interviews or just hope that my top 4 will rank me since I already know I will be happy at any of them. I know as they say, it's all going to work out and all that but it is definitely frustrating going through.

Increase your paroxetine to 60 mg daily and take alprazolam, 0.5-1 mg prn any further thoughts about what programs are thinking of you and how they communicate that.

if it were only that simple

:rolleyes:

So frustrating! I was told by my #1 program that i am "one of their top candidates" which is great to hear, but I figure you can't bank on anything. So do I shell out the extra money and finish off my last two interviews or just hope that my top 4 will rank me since I already know I will be happy at any of them. I know as they say, it's all going to work out and all that but it is definitely frustrating going through.

I would suggest that if you've only been on 4 interviews, you may want to go on the last two UNLESS you think you'd be better off not going to those programs at all. I don't know the stats, but most people who apply to psych get their first couple of choices. But weird stuff can happen and unless you have some information that makes you 100% confident you'll get into one of those programs, it really can't hurt to go on more interviews. Besides, I thought it was kinda fun traveling and learning about other programs...:D. Good luck!

you can't count on matching, but it's a good sign. I doubt if PD's would say that to people who are outside their anticipated range of acceptance.

I would suggest that if you've only been on 4 interviews, you may want to go on the last two UNLESS you think you'd be better off not going to those programs at all. I don't know the stats, but most people who apply to psych get their first couple of choices. But weird stuff can happen and unless you have some information that makes you 100% confident you'll get into one of those programs, it really can't hurt to go on more interviews. Besides, I thought it was kinda fun traveling and learning about other programs...:D. Good luck!

Thank you for the thoughts! I actually have gone on more interviews and will have 7 to rank even if I don't go on the last 2. It's just my top 4 I'm really happy with and the next 3 are just kinda so-so. I'll probably wind up going on them b/c I'm not much of a gambler and will be too freaked out otherwise. And it is fun traveling around and definitely beats pointless rotations.

you can't count on matching, but it's a good sign. I doubt if PD's would say that to people who are outside their anticipated range of acceptance.

I like this! :)