rankings?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

makushin

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, this dentist that you talked to is obviously on top of things. Ask him/her what they think of the dental programs at Northwestern, Emory, and Georgetown.

Members don't see this ad :)
No they don't exist. It's best for you run a search here on SDN and find the answers to questions such as "why?" and "which school is the best..." rather than ask them here as such threads tend to degrade into a pile of egos and broomsticks real fast.

what were the 1994 rankings?

KAP said:
what were the 1994 rankings?
you must already know the answer to this since nobody even mentioned the 1994 rankings in this thread... :rolleyes:

either way, they are absolutely worthless :thumbdown:

fightingspirit said:
tludy,

there are no official rankings for d-schools. i think that most of us would like things to remain that way so that we can keep choosing schools that are better fits for us as opposed to choosing them simply because they ranked highly on U.S News.

as far as NYU, well forgive my harsh language but i think that that dentist should go ahead and shove a big fat one up there. who is he to judge NYU like this? what does he know about NYU grads anyway? keep in mind that NYU is a bona fide d-school in an excellent location. its grads end up everywhere in the nation. many go for private practice, associateships, academics and competitive specialties. in fact, you dont even have to take my word for it: just go to d-school websites and check out the profile of their faculty members or residents. here, i will give you a few examples:

check out the faculty of stony brook: most of them come from NYU
check out the OMFS residents of Penn.....
check out the ortho residents at UNC....etc

NYU is a great school. even the large class size is not that big of a deal. its only problem (which is a big problem for older applicant like myself) is that it is toooooooooooooooooooooooooo expensive. you may certainly tell that iowa dentist that NYU grads do even better than iowa's grads. i also encourage you to remind him that NYU's DAT average for last year's entering class was 19AA/18PAT, higher than that of iowa (18/17), which means that NYU's entering students are certainly not inferior to iowa's. and do tell him that one makes waaaaaaaay better connections at NYU than at iowa. some of the best SDNers have been accepted at NYU and are considering going there. the school also has one of the coolest student bodies in the country.

i live in manhattan and teach anatomy and physiology at the brookdale center next to NYU dental. i pass by the school at least 2 times a week and sometimes i chat with the students so i know what i am talking about. it is unfortunate that SDNers are making applicants shy away from NYU.

Amen to this post. Our local anesthesia professor who happens to be the excellence in anesthesia (Dr. Stanely Malamed) here at SC with his book "Handbook of Local Anesthesia" is the text of choice at most D-schools; guess where Dr. Malamed graduated from?....NYU Dental!!! I think your dentist friend is terribly unaware of what's going on at NYU.

syn_apse said:
you must already know the answer to this since nobody even mentioned the 1994 rankings in this thread... :rolleyes:

either way, they are absolutely worthless :thumbdown:

your assumption as to why i made that post is WRONG. therefore, you're an idiot.

yeah, rankings from over 10 years ago should surely be accurate and relevant today....

Look at the discrepancy between Gourman's ranking and US News's ranking.

syn_apse said:
easy there killer!

http://members.tripod.com/~softballteam/best.html

it's so funny how touchy some people on this board can be :laugh:

i was just curious as to what they were then, bc i believe thats when they stopped the rankings. It's so funny how you have nothing better to do than be critical and make bad assumptions.

What were the 1984 rankings? Give me the '74 rankings also. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Most important thing is to be happy and comfortable with where you go. That's something no rankings sheet will tell you.

INFNITE said:

The most interesting thing about the 1992 Gourman ranking is Nova. It is extremely impressive that they were ranked #21 five years before they accepted their first dental class. I have friends there who love it and it is a great school, but I have some concerns about a ranking that lists them in 1992. Now that they have an actual program with real students I wonder how it has affected their ranking?

Tarheel said:
The most interesting thing about the 1992 Gourman ranking is Nova. It is extremely impressive that they were ranked #21 five years before they accepted their first dental class. I have friends there who love it and it is a great school, but I have some concerns about a ranking that lists them in 1992. Now that they have an actual program with real students I wonder how it has affected their ranking?
:thumbup: Word

beredsox2 said:
What were the 1984 rankings? Give me the '74 rankings also. :laugh:
LOL!

did they release the 2006-2007 preseason rankings yet?

syn_apse said:

I heard UConn got verbal commitments from 2 All-Americans. Harvard got 3 of the top 10 recruits.

in other news, proteins are rich source of amino acids.

polarnut said:
in other news, proteins are rich source of amino acids.

lmao :laugh: yea, people need to get a life, read old SND stuff (do a search), and relax a little....

tludy said:
I spoke with a dentist today, an iowa graduate, that told me to consider dental school rankings (and also to stay far away from NYU).
Iowa came and did a recruiting presentation at my undergrad like two years ago. The lady just went on and on about how highly the school was ranked. After the meeting was over and the lady (dean of admissions I think, but may be wrong) left, our pre-dent advisor told us to take what she had said with a grain of salt since dental schools no longer support rankings. I think it's funny Iowa is still braging about such out-dated rankings.

The fact of the matter is that 95% of dentist who graduated 15+ years ago don't have the foggiest idea of what is going on in dental education right now. Most of these guys will tell you that their alma mater is one of the top programs and will take an elitest attitude because they are the doctor and you are the lowly predental student. Bottom line is that they are out of the loop when it comes to the present state of DAT scores, GPA's, tuition costs, and dental school admissions, so don't listen to the haters. NYU, just like any accredited D-school is and can be excellent as long as you're willing to put in the time and effort to succeed. Did you know that 8% of all dental graduates are NYU alums? Talk about connections. The real drawback...$$$$.

fightingspirit said:
tludy,

there are no official rankings for d-schools. i think that most of us would like things to remain that way so that we can keep choosing schools that are better fits for us as opposed to choosing them simply because they ranked highly on U.S News.

check out the ortho residents at UNC....etc

I agree 100% with the fist paragraph, but don't quite know what you mean by the second. We have maybe 1 of 19 residents from NYU...so I'm not sure what your point is. We also have people from LSU, Florida, Meharry, UNC, Tufts,... etc. Better check your facts, or just don't put UNC and NYU together in this context as there really isn't a connection.

syn_apse said:

I think my 'Heels have the #1 incoming class per most hoops recruiting services. Glad I'm sticking around for another 3 years!

INFNITE said:
yeah, rankings from over 10 years ago should surely be accurate and relevant today....

They all suck, but if I had to pick one I'd go with US News as more reflective of current...just from what I heard said during the app process to residency programs.