RANT HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
About to go for dinner with my dad and this lady he’s been seeing... on one hand I’m glad he’s getting out and about and has someone to hang out with since my mom passed away last summer. But on the other hand I feel super weird about it lol. Oh, and we’re going to eat the one kind of cuisine I can’t stand, because apparently my dad forgot this important detail about me??? Wish me luck ya’ll

Omg you're going for sushi??

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

It was fine, I lived

Story time for everyone else: a few years ago I went out to an all you can eat sushi place with about 12 friends. One of my friends, who is a massive dude who would eat a whole roast chicken as a snack (seriously), decided that he should order for everyone since he knew the most about sushi. So he proceeded to order enough sushi for 12 of him to eat. He also failed to notice that this place gave 6 rolls per plate vs the 4 rolls per plate our usual sushi place did. So, we got A FRICK TON OF SUSHI delivered to our table, and had to sit there for like 5 hours to finish it all. After that I’ve had a hard time eating sushi because that was more sushi than any human should eat in one sitting

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
It was fine, I lived

Story time for everyone else: a few years ago I went out to an all you can eat sushi place with about 12 friends. One of my friends, who is a massive dude who would eat a whole roast chicken as a snack (seriously), decided that he should order for everyone since he knew the most about sushi. So he proceeded to order enough sushi for 12 of him to eat. He also failed to notice that this place gave 6 rolls per plate vs the 4 rolls per plate our usual sushi place did. So, we got A FRICK TON OF SUSHI delivered to our table, and had to sit there for like 5 hours to finish it all. After that I’ve had a hard time eating sushi because that was more sushi than any human should eat in one sitting
@Fireman please assess

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I wish it would stop snowing all the damn time :rage: :punch: :sendoff:

Normally we get, like, a snowy week and then a few weeks of great weather in between. What is this "incessant snow" garbage? I am not for it at all

Reactions: 5 users
Gotta keep my bragging rights somewhere. I couldn't add in my fakeclaim one though, as SDN chastised me for being too cool and having more than one image to include
That's ok I still think me as a rezzed wolf convincing everyone I was village should've gotten more praise than it did so I'll just take this as your tip of the hat ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I wish it would stop snowing all the damn time :rage: :punch: :sendoff:

Normally we get, like, a snowy week and then a few weeks of great weather in between. What is this "incessant snow" garbage? I am not for it at all
We usually get a few snow storms per winter and this year we’ve barely had any and it makes me sad. But I’d complain about constant snow too.

Members don't see this ad :)
We usually get a few snow storms per winter and this year we’ve barely had any and it makes me sad. But I’d complain about constant snow too.
I agree, I can't ski at all with it like this. I bought new x-c skis two years ago and they are SICK but I've used them exactly twice. :(

I hate dealing with the cold and the snow so much, but if I'm going to be in an awful climate, I want enough snow to do fun activities

Reactions: 1 user
I just want a couple days with 5-6 inches on the ground. It can snow overnight, on my day off, so I can wake up to roads cleared, and snowshoe. I miss snowshoeing.

Combo Rant and Rave: 16 more ER shifts left in my entire life. That is all.

Reactions: 7 users
Everyone else is welcome to ski while I bundle up under a blanket with cocoa and a book next to the fireplace in the ski lodge :cat:

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
There are lots of people who want to interact with you, Elkhart. You’re an awesome human being. I’m sorry you’re going through this :(
I hope people get it in their heads that they need to address you properly. If not, gimme their addresses and I’ll come kick them in the kneecaps. You are not a horrible person at all. We all love you! You deserve all the respect for being brave enough to do this. We have your back here <3

Grumble grumble, feeling low. Thanks for the advice guys!

Edited

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users

I know exactly how you feel :( I've been in a new work environment for about a month and as much as I think I'm getting along with people, they still seem to be excluding me from coworker-wide plans. they even make the plans in front of me and don't ask me to come. they have a couple of times, but not many. I'm 10 hours away from my family and friends (moved NY-->MI this summer) and I know how lonely it gets, I feel it every day. I'm always a pm away if you need to vent or talk!

• Sad
@mypetmoose I dealt with the same thing when I started vet school. At orientation made friends with a couple of girls who fell In with a larger group, so at first we'd all hang out together. I would notice I was always the last one to hear about plans, and if I invited just like my original two friends to go do something, they'd always invite the others like automatically. So could tell was always the odd one out of the group :/

I stopped hanging out with them and started hanging out with three girls that had been in my assigned group at orientation. Other than it being hard because I'm the only one in a different lab section, we hang out alllll the time and I feel so much more welcomed.

I hope you are able to find some friends who are a better fit for you.

Thanks guys. It's just one of those things where I might be overreacting or too sensitive, but I feel what I feel and I feel hurt. Ya know? Thanks for the advice and everything... I don't really have another set if people to latch on to though, and it's kind of hard to break into a group when it seems like everyone has already split into their small groups. And I don't necessarily want to give up on these friends yet. I just want them to include me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Reactions: 10 users
My neck, shoulders, and back have been super duper achey the past week. Texted my mom, same thing is going on with her. Stupid genetics and temperature fluctuations.

Add onto that, my SO was running a low grade fever the past few days that has now turned into a full on fever, chills, aches, and coughing. So every day I’ve been going home, taking care of him while feeling pretty crummy myself, and taking my temp to ensure that I, too, am not getting the flu.

Oh, and did I mention finals are in 2 weeks so getting sick at this point in time would be awful?

• Sad
The same thing happened (happens?) to me. My closest friends in vet school are all housemates with each other, so they are just inherently more tightly knit.

Something you might try is to get them split up a little bit by inviting them out to do things with you 1:1? Like not in an exclusive way, but in a "hey we haven't caught up in a while, wanna grab dinner later this week, just us?" kind of way.

I found that having certain things I do with each person vs the group sometimes also helps make sure I get included for stuff. For example, one of my friends loves boba, and so do I, and so we have an unofficial pact to include the other person on all boba-acquisition trips lol.

It's tough though... and it's especially hard if you have to pick groups for labs or something and end up being the odd person out. In those situations, I've gotten to be super proactive about asking for a saved seat/spot in advance so I don't get stuck by myself. And then it kind of gets locked in, turns into a habit, and you don't have to worry about it.

Always here for you over the internet, too -- PM me for any & all of my contact info!

The same thing happened (happens?) to me. My closest friends in vet school are all housemates with each other, so they are just inherently more tightly knit.

Something you might try is to get them split up a little bit by inviting them out to do things with you 1:1? Like not in an exclusive way, but in a "hey we haven't caught up in a while, wanna grab dinner later this week, just us?" kind of way.

I found that having certain things I do with each person vs the group sometimes also helps make sure I get included for stuff. For example, one of my friends loves boba, and so do I, and so we have an unofficial pact to include the other person on all boba-acquisition trips lol.

It's tough though... and it's especially hard if you have to pick groups for labs or something and end up being the odd person out. In those situations, I've gotten to be super proactive about asking for a saved seat/spot in advance so I don't get stuck by myself. And then it kind of gets locked in, turns into a habit, and you don't have to worry about it.

Always here for you over the internet, too -- PM me for any & all of my contact info!
I also like setting up lunch with people so I can be sure to catch up with them. Harder on clinics but during the first few years of vet school it was a good way to stay in the loop

My neck, shoulders, and back have been super duper achey the past week. Texted my mom, same thing is going on with her. Stupid genetics and temperature fluctuations.

Add onto that, my SO was running a low grade fever the past few days that has now turned into a full on fever, chills, aches, and coughing. So every day I’ve been going home, taking care of him while feeling pretty crummy myself, and taking my temp to ensure that I, too, am not getting the flu.

Oh, and did I mention finals are in 2 weeks so getting sick at this point in time would be awful?
I started coming down with a cold last night. Third time this school year. Hoping it passes fast because exams start back up next week.
Chug pedialyte

Feel better soon!

I also like setting up lunch with people so I can be sure to catch up with them. Harder on clinics but during the first few years of vet school it was a good way to stay in the loop
I'm hoping I can actually do this more haha

Clinics require me to be at school, which has been a rare event these past 2.5 years

Reactions: 2 users
My friends all like to (lovingly) tease me about my obscure fashion sense, particularly my fondness of strange sweaters. It’s a running inside joke now. I recently ordered a lovely puke green turtleneck and went to send a selfie to my friend to show him so he could commence the roasting... instead I texted a new acquaintance with a very similar name and I’m mortified. It’s nothing inappropriate, just sooo embarrassing. This is a rant about how I cannot read.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
My friends all like to (lovingly) tease me about my obscure fashion sense, particularly my fondness of strange sweaters. It’s a running inside joke now. I recently ordered a lovely puke green turtleneck and went to send a selfie to my friend to show him so he could commence the roasting... instead I texted a new acquaintance with a very similar name and I’m mortified. It’s nothing inappropriate, just sooo embarrassing. This is a rant about how I cannot read.
Vomit on the sweater already, mom's spaghetti.

Stock up on water and toilet paper!
Is this because of coronavirus because if so hoo boy I have a rant

I need people to chill the **** out

I get asked at least a dozen times a day if we have face masks and my location has been out for a month. First of all, a face mask is not designed to protect you from other people's sick, it's designed to protect other people from your sick. Second, even if it did protect you, there are fewer than 20 confirmed cases in the country right now, and most if not all are very mild cases. You should be protecting yourself from the flu by, idk, getting a flu shot or washing your hands. Because there have been literally a thousand times more deaths from the flu this season in the U.S. than cases of coronavirus. And thirdly, people went so friggin nuts over face masks that people who legitimately need them (e.g. healthcare professionals, commercial painters, etc.) can't get them.

Chill. Out. It's not the apocalypse.

(But I will concede that if your insurance will allow you to get 90 days of your prescriptions, you should do that because the FDA just announced the first drug shortage due to COVID-19. More are probably coming.)

• Sad
Reactions: 11 users
I have a fever and everything hurts. :yeahright:

1583027559115.png

Eff roommates (not literally...although I have stories). No roommate until marriage! :rage:

I can't ever give up autonomy and freedom and space. I have enough stuff for a 2BR+basement+garage duplex so it'd have to be a huge place to have a roommate, and I don't trust anyone not to steal my stuff (it's happened) or go through my stuff. Eff roommates. Sleep and sanity and quality of life and grades are so important that it's one of the few things where I think is OK to justify the student loan debt differential.

If (when) you need human interaction, go out when you can! Meet up! Or invite people you select over. I wouldn't use having a roommate as a fulfilling the social interaction box.

Fortunately Ive never had a roommate except for cats and hamsters.

• Haha
Now your P-Meddy friends think ophthalmologists arent surgeons :rofl: What is goin on over there girl? Get yalls house in order!
I am not in CHARGE OF PREMEDS!
I was deadass wondering what I ranted about recently :lol: . Also, there's no point in argueing with premeds. They're always right. What the hell do they think ophthalmologists do???

• Haha
Is this because of coronavirus because if so hoo boy I have a rant

I need people to chill the **** out

I get asked at least a dozen times a day if we have face masks and my location has been out for a month. First of all, a face mask is not designed to protect you from other people's sick, it's designed to protect other people from your sick. Second, even if it did protect you, there are fewer than 20 confirmed cases in the country right now, and most if not all are very mild cases. You should be protecting yourself from the flu by, idk, getting a flu shot or washing your hands. Because there have been literally a thousand times more deaths from the flu this season in the U.S. than cases of coronavirus. And thirdly, people went so friggin nuts over face masks that people who legitimately need them (e.g. healthcare professionals, commercial painters, etc.) can't get them.

Chill. Out. It's not the apocalypse.

(But I will concede that if your insurance will allow you to get 90 days of your prescriptions, you should do that because the FDA just announced the first drug shortage due to COVID-19. More are probably coming.)
Oof yeah people are definitely going a little crazy here especially since we have a confirmed case in our area and a few students at my school (undergrads) have been quarantined due to suspicion of Corona virus. My classmates are openly speculating how this is going to affect our clinical year if there's actually an outbreak and how the school would deal with mandatory quarantine. Not fun.

Edit: the number of confirmed cases has Rose to 69 as an FYI but I totally agree with you about the face mask thing

Last edited:
Now your P-Meddy friends think ophthalmologists arent surgeons :rofl: What is goin on over there girl? Get yalls house in order!
Nevermind. I figured out what it is. Only oncpedineurocardiothoracicorthopedic surgeons count.

I was deadass wondering what I ranted about recently :lol: . Also, there's no point in argueing with premeds. They're always right. What the hell do they think ophthalmologists do???
Hey you and Mel are our representatives for pre-meds here, sorry, we will address any and all concerns to you two.

• Wow

I have a Bob Ross christmas sweater that lights up and its the bomb. I could let you borrow it sometime.

• Love
  • Wow

Oh did I say Pre? My bad... no, these are the ones that are actually in medical school. Doesnt speak well to the schools that accepted them lol

• Haha
  • Sad
Hey you and Mel are our representatives for pre-meds here, sorry, we will address any and all concerns to you two.
Not only is @Lawper also from the premed side, but he is an SDN ambassador aaaand a rocket scientist.

• Haha