-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
RANT HERE thread
Started by flyhi
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
D
deleted498041
Yeah, the closest places are in Milwaukee which is a 20 minute car ride away or 2 hour bus ride...Have you checked airbnb? I've had good luck with it.
I have had a couple classmates use rotatingroom.com though I haven't used it personally. It's designed for med students going on externships so if there's no med school around you may be out of luck, but it's worth a quick search.
I'll check that out, thanks! Edit: nothing available in the area unfortunately. If anyone has family in Waukesha that want to put up a poor vet student, I'm your girl!
Last edited by a moderator:
caffeine jitters... damn those ice coffees
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You can rent a car through zipcar. Though it may be more of an initial investment than you want, and all the cars are located in MilwaukeeLooking for places to stay this summer is getting a little exhausting. I'm doing research in Wisconsin and can't find a place cheaper, close enough to the hospital, than $1100 for two weeks. I figured, okay, I'll just stay a little further away and look into renting a car to see if that offsets the price. Oh, that's right. I can't rent a car because I'm only 21. I've totally made peace with the fact that paying off loans after vet school will be awful but it really sucks that I'm getting $1000 for this research project and it doesn't even cover where I would stay for half of the time required.
Whole day rentals with Zipcar daily would get super expensive though!You can rent a car through zipcar. Though it may be more of an initial investment than you want, and all the cars are located in Milwaukee
I've been away from zipcar since I bought my own car, but I think they cut you (albeit a small) deal for daily rentals.Whole day rentals with Zipcar daily would get super expensive though!
D
deleted498041
Thanks! I will look into that. I called a couple places about renting a car for people under 25 and they said there was an added daily surcharge of $25... I found a place I could stay for about $300 for the two weeks... if I find a way to drive 15 miles to the hospital.You can rent a car through zipcar. Though it may be more of an initial investment than you want, and all the cars are located in Milwaukee
Well hopefully it's changed since I was a member back in the day... where it was $7 per hour or $70 per day. Zipcar's super awesome for like short rentals for shopping and going out and stuff, but at least back in their early days it was cheaper to get a rental car even with the under 25 surcharge if taking for multiple full days. Esp if you need it every day for weeks, due to availability of the car.I've been away from zipcar since I bought my own car, but I think they cut you (albeit a small) deal for daily rentals.
Tripped over one of the dogs late Saturday night. Fortunately arm not broken but have to wear a hard splint and sling for a week. My husband has to do my pony tail, button my jeans and cut up my food. He's a trooper but I'm sick of this crap.
Managed to avoid all Grey's Anatomy spoilers since I haven't seen the episode yet. Trying to watch now and the ABC Home Page for Grey's Anatomy just ruined it all for me.
Ow. That bad?? Hope you feel better soon! (At least you have hubby to help!)Tripped over one of the dogs late Saturday night. Fortunately arm not broken but have to wear a hard splint and sling for a week. My husband has to do my pony tail, button my jeans and cut up my food. He's a trooper but I'm sick of this crap.
i HATE cancer 😢
After a rare, glorious weekend where both my boyfriend and I were completely off work, today was a Monday from hell. Worked a double at the clinic, there was one emergency after another, and then we had a swarm of termites. 😱 I've been home for almost 3 hours and I still feel like my skin is crawling.
I'm at the point in packing where most of the stuff I need to pack is little fiddly things and awkward things that don't fit nicely into boxes (small kitchen appliances, knick-knacks, etc). Which means I'm procrastinating on the whole lot. Which I really can't do, because my parents are bringing the u-haul tomorrow. And whenever I look around the apartment, I just get more depressed at everything I have to do which makes me want to do none of it because I don't know where to start.
And it's snowing.
And it's snowing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One eye has been swollen, inner lid is super inflamed, and hurting like heck for a few days. Went in, Dr. and NP had no idea what was up. Get to try super expensive antihistamine drops and if that doesn't work, go to ophthalmology.
Finals are this week and next.
🙁
Finals are this week and next.
🙁
Do you have tote bags? Or if you go to the grocery store/Walmart sometimes there are cardboard packing boxes without lids that they put out for recyclingI'm at the point in packing where most of the stuff I need to pack is little fiddly things and awkward things that don't fit nicely into boxes (small kitchen appliances, knick-knacks, etc). Which means I'm procrastinating on the whole lot. Which I really can't do, because my parents are bringing the u-haul tomorrow. And whenever I look around the apartment, I just get more depressed at everything I have to do which makes me want to do none of it because I don't know where to start.
And it's snowing.
Tripped over one of the dogs late Saturday night. Fortunately arm not broken but have to wear a hard splint and sling for a week. My husband has to do my pony tail, button my jeans and cut up my food. He's a trooper but I'm sick of this crap.
You need a bubble wrap suit!
D
deleted498041
Today, I had the sudden realization that I only have my dog with me for another couple of days and then we're apart for three whole months 🙁
Commence excessive cuddle time now!Today, I had the sudden realization that I only have my dog with me for another couple of days and then we're apart for three whole months 🙁
Ugh. I'm sorry you have to deal with that. Slings are pretty uncomfortable.Tripped over one of the dogs late Saturday night. Fortunately arm not broken but have to wear a hard splint and sling for a week. My husband has to do my pony tail, button my jeans and cut up my food. He's a trooper but I'm sick of this crap.
Not really a rant, but just finding out you did worse on a test than you thought walking out of it (like, significantly worse). I mean I'm still guaranteed to have passed the class, and they're still grading the essay section, but I really didn't think I had done quite that poorly on the test. Sigh. Can this semester just be over now?
Has the emote always slammed the banana that hard?I haven't been this stressed out in a quite a long time....
Vet School: 1 Ashgirl: -13
(I'm currently the banana....)
Good luck Ash
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
You can do it!!!I haven't been this stressed out in a quite a long time....
Vet School: 1 Ashgirl: -13
(I'm currently the banana....)
You have more then got this!!!!! 🙂I haven't been this stressed out in a quite a long time....
Vet School: 1 Ashgirl: -13
(I'm currently the banana....)
Has the emote always slammed the banana that hard?
Good luck Ash
You can do it!!!
Thanks everyone, I really really appreciate the support 😍You have more then got this!!!!! 🙂
Sometimes I think the anticipation for finals are almost worse than the finals themselves... this block they were really mean and put them all within 3 days (along with class....), which makes it a wee bit stressful to (try to) study for all of them, to say the least.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
It has definitely been my experience that anticipation of a tough thing is often worse than the tough thing itself. It's part of why I procrastinate so much.Thanks everyone, I really really appreciate the support 😍
Sometimes I think the anticipation for finals are almost worse than the finals themselves... this block they were really mean and put them all within 3 days (along with class....), which makes it a wee bit stressful to (try to) study for all of them, to say the least.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Though that schedule does sound super rough. Exams and class at the same time? 

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yep... We have 19 hours of class this week + 6 (mostly) cumulative finals.... so I'm a little stressed 😛Though that schedule does sound super rough. Exams and class at the same time?![]()
It's actually one thing that if I could change one thing about this curriculum (because in general I really love it), it would be not as much class during finals week. Though I understand it's hard for them to do that... it's would just make things a little better studying wise.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Dang. I guess even more than in the more traditional curricula you have to really keep on top of things. Otherwise I can't imagine preparing for finals and learning new stuff at the same time.Yep... We have 19 hours of class this week + 6 (mostly) cumulative finals.... so I'm a little stressed 😛
It's actually one thing that if I could change one thing about this curriculum (because in general I really love it), it would be not as much class during finals week. Though I understand it's hard for them to do that... it's would just make things a little better studying wise.
Yeah, it's probably one of the hardest things for me (personally), because I'm really good at staying on top of things... until we have a bunch of exams, and then I'm behind, but then there are more exams, which means I get more behind, and then it's finals week, there's still lectures and lab, and then I'm REALLY behind and hanging on to sanity by only my fingernails.Dang. I guess even more than in the more traditional curricula you have to really keep on top of things. Otherwise I can't imagine preparing for finals and learning new stuff at the same time.
So theoretically, having quite a few exams causes you to stay ahead of the material, but I always end up playing catch up anyways.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oof. Sending good vibes all the way out to you, and a billion virtual clovers 😀Yeah, it's probably one of the hardest things for me (personally), because I'm really good at staying on top of things... until we have a bunch of exams, and then I'm behind, but then there are more exams, which means I get more behind, and then it's finals week, there's still lectures and lab, and then I'm REALLY behind and hanging on to sanity by only my fingernails.
So theoretically, having quite a few exams causes you to stay ahead of the material, but I always end up playing catch up anyways.

Writing a research paper on neonatal maladjustment syndrome in horses.....the night before it is due......because I procrastinate. The weird part is being almost doneish, but not having the motivation to push the last hours to finish it. It isn't due till midnight tomorrow, but I have only a 3 hour break between biochem and neurobiology tomorrow morning, and then I work from 4-9 45 minutes away from my house. Maybe a total of 4.5 hours to finish it tomorrow.
On a separate note, Pierce Brown is a heinous man that leaves characters in heinous situations that makes you throw a book half way across the room. I don't even know if I want to read the third book when it comes out.
On a separate note, Pierce Brown is a heinous man that leaves characters in heinous situations that makes you throw a book half way across the room. I don't even know if I want to read the third book when it comes out.
Not really a rant, but just finding out you did worse on a test than you thought walking out of it (like, significantly worse). I mean I'm still guaranteed to have passed the class, and they're still grading the essay section, but I really didn't think I had done quite that poorly on the test. Sigh. Can this semester just be over now?
Ha. LIS knows of which class you speak. And LIS just talked to the instructor grading those essays earlier today and she grumbled about having 200 essays to grade. And if it makes you feel better (it probably won't), that class was one of my worst grades in vet school .... and I still get along just fantastically with the one coordinator (Dr. S), and she has been extremely supportive in spite of my grade in her class. The MC portion of that final exam was just brutal, though.
you do realize you will likely have 1-2 exams per week after the first 2-3 weeks of vet school right?Dang. I guess even more than in the more traditional curricula you have to really keep on top of things. Otherwise I can't imagine preparing for finals and learning new stuff at the same time.

WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oh I know. But not finals!you do realize you will likely have 1-2 exams per week after the first 2-3 weeks of vet school right?
![]()
you also have a week of finals at the end of every semester.Oh I know. But not finals!
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
At least, I think not finals 😵
finals at UTK were usually weighted the same as other tests. so every test was equally awful
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Yeah, but I won't still be in class at the same time. Right? Maybe?you also have a week of finals at the end of every semester.
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Brb cryingfinals at UTK were usually weighted the same as other tests. so every test was equally awful
for finals? no. On days of other tests? absolutely. Though there's usually a small break after the morning of a test.Yeah, but I won't still be in class at the same time. Right? Maybe?
WildZoo
Noble Dubz Dictator, Unyeetable Phasing Wolf
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
I know I'll definitely have to stay on top of things too. But the idea of having 6 finals and still having to learn new stuff in class...my brain hurts just thinking about it
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Just found out that I'm no longer needed at my camp job, though the boss Madame told me that summer staff doesn't start until June 1st. And I'm ending my USDA job this Friday. There goes half of my earnings in less than a week, and my summer job doesn't fully kick in until the end of May. 
you also have a week of finals at the end of every semester.
I never quite figured out why finals bugged people so much. For us, just because of the way classes were all staggered all over the semester, finals week really just meant 3-4 exams instead of the typical 1-2/week ... so really, it was only another 1-2 exams AND we didn't have classes so there was all sorts of free time to study. I always felt like finals week was pretty darn relaxing compared to the rest of semester.
I never quite figured out why finals bugged people so much. For us, just because of the way classes were all staggered all over the semester, finals week really just meant 3-4 exams instead of the typical 1-2/week ... so really, it was only another 1-2 exams AND we didn't have classes so there was all sorts of free time to study. I always felt like finals week was pretty darn relaxing compared to the rest of semester.
Since you aren't so bothered by finals, I have a few you can come take for me... I know how much you love your production animals and infectious diseases... Especially when the professor asks obscure, ridiculous questions that make no sense at all....
I will give you cookies. 🙂
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5K
- Views
- 152K
(I'm currently the banana....)