1. Dismiss Notice
  2. This forum is for support and discussion only. Please promote test prep materials/services (including AMAs) in the Special Offers subforum only. Thanks!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

rate and reactant

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by Dencology, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Dencology

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    what is the rate constant dependent on?
    a. temp
    b. [reactant]
    c. [product]
    d. density

in Kaplan is says that the all forward, irreversible reactions, the rate is proportional to the product of the concentrations of the reactants. so as temp goes up so as the rate. but what about the reactant?

2. sweetpea2

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    A rate of a reaction should be dependent upon both reactant and product as a function of time. Seems to me that the answer can be both.

3. harrygt

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    Things you should know:
    There is "Rate" and "Rate constant". Rate constant is only dependent on the temperature, the nature of the reactions, the total surface area, and catalyst. So the concentration of reactants and products won't have any effect on the rate CONSTANT. However, as you mentioned, the rate of the forward reaction = K (rate cons) * concentraion of each reaction to the power of its order
    once the reactants' concentration decrease, the forward reaction's rate decreases too. However, the rate constatnt stays the same, because temp is constant.
    I hope this helps

4. Ferdowsi

2+ Year Member

Rate constant only depends on Temp..I rw that on Examkrackers plus kaplan..
    Rate and rate constant are two different things