1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Rate My Chances to Get into a Pharmacy School!

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Greencircle, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Greencircle

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hello all. I would like to know what my chances are for enrolling into a pharmacy institute such as Binghamton University and Touro College of Pharmacy. I am and have been a New York State resident throughout my entire life, thus far.

I am enrolled in a public, 4-year college and have completed a bachelor of science degree in chemistry while pursuing a bachelor of arts in biology. My science and cumulative GPAs are personally unsatisfactory: my cumulative GPA is a 2.99, and my science GPA for chemistry is a 2.7; as well as my current science GPA for biology to which I hope will increase drastically after completing my last set of biology courses in the current semester.

I have no prior experience in a pharmacy work environment; however, I have acquired volunteer work and externship at two local clinics of the same company. Furthermore, I have never worked as a pharmacy technician nor as a pharmacy clerk; however, I plan to attain certification for pharmacy technician after completing the board exam as soon as I finish my last set of biology courses in the current semester.

I have never taken a PCAT exam before; however, I have registered for one that I will sit for soon.

Hence, I would like to know if my chances of acceptance into the institutions of my choice. I am quite aware of the entire admission process, and I would like to know if my credentials would sufficiently impress or bode well for the admission committees of these institutions individually. Please be as detailed as possible.

All responses will be appreciated.

#1 Greencircle, Oct 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018 at 5:31 PM
  2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Phamracy forever

Pre-Pharmacy
    Your GPA might night seems very competitive, but it could definitely get you in for pharmacy school. You should be fine as long as you have a bachelor in chemistry. The admission committee will look at PCAT, letter of recommendations, and personal statement so don't worry about your GPA a lot. Focus on PCAT and apply for the pharmacy trainee license because you don't have to be certified to work in the pharmacy as a technician. Apply for the trainee license online because it is going to take around a month or so to get the trainee license. You are allowed to work for more than two years in the pharmacy without getting certified :)

4. Timbo

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Do you want to work in New York after pharmacy school? Even though there is a national surplus of pharmacist overall, I hear New York is one of the most saturated job markets in the country. Check New York’s PDI trend, it has been consistently below 3 for the past 5 years. If you’re willing to move for pharmacist work why not move now for school too?

5. Greencircle

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Timbo, I am confused about your following question: "[if] you’re willing to move for pharmacist work why not move now for school too?" I suppose that you are implicitly advising me to travel from out of state to another state where the state's PDI rating is high. If so, should I seek for a pharmacy job after attaining a license in New York if the pharmacy job market in New York State happens to be oversaturated? Are you alluding to the statistics of downstate, upstate, or within the New York state? Or the Tristate area?

6. BC_89

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    The tristate area is overly saturated. You are strongly advised to seek multiple state licensures beyond one or two reciprocations around your area.

Depending on the cost, the suggestion is based on going to school in a region (Alaska / Midwest region) where competition is slightly lower and cost of school roughly the same. In the end, you need to come up with a contingency of how your going to pay your six figure debt as well as anticipate how far your willing to move for a job.

7. princeafrica

Pre-Dental