Rate my job

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This forum is SO hilarious. I just can't quit you guys.

1) The biggest thing that starts to move it into the negative column for me is the 1099 issue because paying for your own benefits can get expensive. I know there are some tax savvy types on here but I'm just not one of them. I'd rather pay the extra an have a good benefits plan though the job.

2) Why I think this forum is hilarious because I'm sure someone else on here it's debated "what it takes to make 500k fresh out of residency?" and most of the answers are "you have to work to earn it". Well, here it is. The salary is probably higher that 50% of you and this including those who are stuck taking call in house overnight and from the description there can't be OB involved because what L&D unit locks the door at 9pm? But maybe i'm sleep and this is a forum full of people pulling 600k taking no call working 40 hrs a week. If so, DM me so I can send you a CV

3)A 12 hour day can be cut a bunch of ways. A high turnover ASU for 12 hours could and probably is a nightmare, but being parking in a cath lab or 4 3 hr cases hits different. They make iPads for a reason just don't forget your charger. As was asked above 60hrs a week but no nights or weekends as a PHYSICIAN isn't the worst deal in the world. Again, the 1099 thing would be my big turnoff.

People are clowning the job because it's the internet. It's a B job, mostly because if you go somewhere else, expect either work less and get paid less or make close to the same and spend the night in a hospital. It's absolutely not an "average" (C) job because the average anesthesiologist is probably making about 450k total comp and taking 4-6 calls per month.

OP.....the grass may always seem greener.

Oh yeah 4) You're in the midwest.....the 500k 1099 spends different.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 11 users
This forum is SO hilarious. I just can't quit you guys.

1) The biggest thing that starts to move it into the negative column for me is the 1099 issue because paying for your own benefits can get expensive. I know there are some tax savvy types on here but I'm just not one of them. I'd rather pay the extra an have a good benefits plan though the job.

2) Why I think this forum is hilarious because I'm sure someone else on here it's debated "what it takes to make 500k fresh out of residency?" and most of the answers are "you have to work to earn it". Well, here it is. The salary is probably higher that 50% of you and this including those who are stuck taking call in house overnight and from the description there can't be OB involved because what L&D unit locks the door at 9pm? But maybe i'm sleep and this is a forum full of people pulling 600k taking no call working 40 hrs a week. If so, DM me so I can send you a CV

3)A 12 hour day can be cut a bunch of ways. A high turnover ASU for 12 hours could and probably is a nightmare, but being parking in a cath lab or 4 3 hr cases hits different. They make iPads for a reason just don't forget your charger. As was asked above 60hrs a week but no nights or weekends as a PHYSICIAN isn't the worst deal in the world. Again, the 1099 thing would be my big turnoff.

People are clowning the job because it's the internet. It's a B job, mostly because if you go somewhere else, expect either work less and get paid less or make close to the same and spend the night in a hospital. It's absolutely not an "average" (C) job because the average anesthesiologist is probably making about 450k total comp and taking 4-6 calls per month.

OP.....the grass may always seem greener.

Oh yeah 4) You're in the midwest.....the 500k 1099 spends different.

does total comp include benefits

Members don't see this ad :)
does total comp include benefits
Usually

So long as this job isn’t in a high COL area, has a decent case mix/payout mix, and is a good group to work with, this job can’t be as bad as people want to make it. I think people really undervalue the ability to sleep at home in your own bed. This job isn’t bad and if OP has a spouse with full benefits they can latch onto it turns into a darn decent job with just some heavy hours, but you still get to go home and at least catch the late Seinfeld rerun.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
500k for 60 hours a week at a surgery center is a lowball
And that’s why I left after 5 months.
It was suppose to be 45 hours with shorter days but they kept adding more hours. More cases. I was actually fine with 400k ish thinking I would have a couple of early days at 2-3pm. And 3 later days. But all 5 days became later. So getting time off is more important.
You need earlier days to balance the later days.

Reactions: 7 users
It was suppose to be 45 hours with shorter days but they kept adding more hours. More cases. I was actually fine with 400k ish thinking I would have a couple of early days at 2-3pm. And 3 later days. But all 5 days became later. So getting time off is more important.

but when did your day start? did you get in at 6am?

Someone I know was offered an outpatient only gig 20 years ago 7-3 weekdays only no call for 700

Usually

So long as this job isn’t in a high COL area, has a decent case mix/payout mix, and is a good group to work with, this job can’t be as bad as people want to make it. I think people really undervalue the ability to sleep at home in your own bed. This job isn’t bad and if OP has a spouse with full benefits they can latch onto it turns into a darn decent job with just some heavy hours, but you still get to go home and at least catch the late Seinfeld rerun.

For some people their "C" job is a "B" to another person. I have read your posts and still think the OP's job is NOT very good. The Midwest has a lot of good jobs in medium sized cities paying W-2 of $500K with benefits and reasonable hours. This is Not one of those jobs. Because the Midwest is less desirable than the coasts the jobs are typically better than the AMC jobs. The OP has basically described an AMC type job in the Midwest with lots of second call and no first call. I still give the job a "C" but if you need to live in that city I could see rating it a "C+."

For some people their "C" job is a "B" to another person. I have read your posts and still think the OP's job is NOT very good. The Midwest has a lot of good jobs in medium sized cities paying W-2 of $500K with benefits and reasonable hours. This is Not one of those jobs. Because the Midwest is less desirable than the coasts the jobs are typically better than the AMC jobs. The OP has basically described an AMC type job in the Midwest with lots of second call and no first call. I still give the job a "C" but if you need to live in that city I could see rating it a "C+."
It’s a time consuming job based on the description. Again I would be curious of the cases performed but I think a good amount of people would take the job and not complain, especially with the no in house call factor. I personally don’t mind working lawyer’s hours because it beats sleeping in a call room any day. The no benefits would be the big turn off for me.

I personally don’t mind working lawyer’s hours because it beats sleeping in a call room any day.
Respectfully disagree.

As any successful lawyer would tell you,
it’s not the amount of hours that you work, it’s about the amount of hour for which you can bill.
But they don’t wake up at 2am to work for a couple hours only to hopefully go back to bed.
At 3am They wouldn’t bother to place that autism causing epidural....

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Respectfully disagree.
I’m starting think maybe our call/call room is trash. If I find out you guys are sleeping in the Four Seasons I’m gonna be like....
50A92E11-9FE3-4E04-B28C-A96283E5E106.gif

Reactions: 1 users
There should be a column called pimp my job. Let your dreams run wild lol

Working 5 day a week 10-12 hours a week is brutal even with no calls. I had an outpatient surgery center job for 6 months like this. Working 6am-5/6pm. It’s brutal. Sure can make 500k 1099 but not worth it.

You can and will burn out. Not in 1-2 years but it won’t last longer than 4-5 years max.

the partners likely take Monday-Thursday night calls. Chill post call as well with day off.

love it partners take advantage of new grads cause They are coming from residency and use to working 70 hours a week. So 60 hours doesn’t sound bad. Also going from 50-55k salary to 500k sounds good also. It’s all relative

this is not a good long term job. It’s sounds ok as a bridge job for a year. That’s it. Find something longer term you can survive.
I feel personally attacked by this. Basically took a job like this to avoid call. I’m exhausted.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
I feel personally attacked by this. Basically took a job like this to avoid call. I’m exhausted.
I hate call. But maybe look at the hours worked with call compared against yours.
Unless it’s brutal call, it can be doable and you can get rest on and post call. Plus extra money.
I currently work 7 day stretches of 12s. Yeah it’s exhausting. But I get a working or real lunch, no one rushes me except me, and no surgeons are telling me what to do. It’s worth it to me.

I hate call. But maybe look at the hours worked with call compared against yours.
Unless it’s brutal call, it can be doable and you can get rest on and post call. Plus extra money.
I currently work 7 day stretches of 12s. Yeah it’s exhausting. But I get a working or real lunch, no one rushes me except me, and no surgeons are telling me what to do. It’s worth it to me.

in OR or ICU??

7 days of 12, next week off?? sounds good

in OR or ICU??

7 days of 12, next week off?? sounds good
ICU of course. And I am still recovering. Very easy to get beat down w this kind of setup.
But I currently much prefer it to the go, go, go, of the OR with no breaks and surgeons and nurses pushing you to move faster.

ICU of course. And I am still recovering. Very easy to get beat down w this kind of setup.
But I currently much prefer it to the go, go, go, of the OR with no breaks and surgeons and nurses pushing you to move faster.

And you’re supposedly the captain of your own ship, rather than the stewardess that we’ve been relegated to.

After about 6 months of job hunting, I finally signed a contract for next year. I would encourage residents and fellows reading this forum to take what people post on here with a grain of salt: while you can learn a lot reading this forum, the attitude with which many members discuss jobs are just unrealistic. You will NOT be able to find a job making 500K + benefits working 40-50 hours a week, with a short partnership track, 12 weeks vacation, no CRNAs, no OB, etc etc. Maybe those jobs exist somewhere (I suspect they do exist in other parts of the country), but they are not the norm in the Northeast. More than likely you will need to decide which of the above-mentioned factors is most important to you; assuming you're the average bear (and not the 0.00001% elite like everyone on SDN claims to be), you can have some of them, but not all (or even most).

Want to make 500K as a new grad? It's doable, even in the NE. But prepare to work your ass off, not get much vacation, and supervise a lot.
Want to work 40 hours a week doing MD only and take 10 weeks vacation? Doable, even in the NE. But you will be making less than some CRNAs.

For family reasons, I wanted to stay in the Northeast. While it's true that the compensation in the NE is significantly less than other parts of the country, but money isn't everything in life, and the NE needs anesthesiologists too. I figured it would be helpful for me to post what I learned on my recent job hunt for those who are nearing their own job search (and interested in New England) to have a more realistic expectation as to what is out there. Gonna keep it intentionally vague so as to avoid doxxing myself.

- My job search was focused on New York, New Hampshire, Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts.
- Academic salary in this region can be as low as 240K to start (think certain academic jobs in major cities). At these very low-paying places, many people work extra (for example working a shift during one of your "academic days") and in doing so can pretty easily boost your salary up into the 300K neighborhood. Benefits at these cases are fine, but not so good as to make up for the insultingly low paycheck
- The more prestigious the academic center, the less the pay (at least in NE region)
- The highest academic salaries in New England seem to be in the ~350K starting range. If you want this higher end of the range while staying in academics, you need to a) expect to be working harder, b) anticipate less non-clinical time, and c) be somewhat flexible with your geography. If you decide that you NEED to be in academics in a particular city (NYC, Boston, etc) you need to prepare yourself for a salary that can seem insulting (especially when everyone on SDN boasts about their 750K paycheck).
- PP jobs in New England are almost entirely larger corporate entities and/or AMCs. With these jobs the starting salaries are more likely to be in the 350K range; in general you make a bit more (375-450) as you get further from major cities, supervise more, take more call, etc... But expect to be working hard, taking little vacation, and supervising a ton in these jobs
- There are still a few options for "true" PP, partnership pathway jobs. These are few and far between, and you need some connections to get your foot in the door. You also need to be more flexible with your location, clinical case mix, etc. MD only partnership track jobs do not exist in New England, so far as I could tell. At best, some of these jobs are a mix of supervision and doing your own cases (at least for cardiac)

In the end I found a job that I consider to be one of the better packages in New England: 2 year partnership track, mix of supervision/own cases, 6-8 weeks vacation, good benefits, salary in the neighborhood of 400-450 once partner, average 50-60 hrs per week with tolerable call burden, opportunity to make more by working more, very stable practice that I don't think is going to sell to private equity any time soon (not for lack of interest on the part of the PE firm). ~50/50 mix between general cases and my fellowship subspecialty area. There is a non-compete but it's not the worst I've seen or heard of. In order to get this job I really needed to leverage some connections from residency and fellowship. They don't hire that often, and to some degree it was my good luck in being in the right place at the right time with the right connections.

Overall I'm quite happy with this job, and after doing my own extensive search I'm pretty sure that this is about as good as it gets in New England. For the trainees who read SDN, please understand that so much of the braggadocious s**** you see on on here just isn't realistic. Don't let all of the talk about 800K W2 paychecks warp your perception of reality. Maybe these jobs do exist in the NE, but if they do, they are unicorns. I'm sure YMMV in other parts of the country, and it probably varies quite significantly (I had a few offers in the 500-600K range in the rural midwest). Whether the extra money is worth it for you to choose another part of the country to live in, that is a personal decision which comes down to you, your family, what your life is like, and what you value. It's not a decision that you should make because strangers on an internet forum are making fun of you and calling your job a "C-" or whatever.

Hopefully this can help give people a better sense of what the current market is like in New England, at least for new grads during COVID times. If your take away from this is "Holy s*** New England sucks b@11s", that's fine... Financially speaking, you wouldn't be wrong. But if you want to live here for whatever reason, happiness = reality - expectations. Know your worth, but also have realistic expectations.

Reactions: 11 users
I don't think there is anyone who says that things are amazing in the northeast

6-8 weeks vacation, good benefits, salary in the neighborhood of 400-450 once partner, average 50-60 hrs
I'm not saying this is not a reasonable job, but it's 175$/h with supervision. If it's a true pp somebody has to be making more that that...

I'm not saying this is not a reasonable job, but it's 175$/h with supervision. If it's a true pp somebody has to be making more that that...
Does the NE just get reimbursed poorly? Or are people just getting taken advantage of due to supply and demand?
I ask because my city in the South is I guess an in demand city and I have been offered some 1099 for $150 an hour. When I ask why so low, all I get is, “it’s the market rate.”
Yeah, Uhmm, think I will stay traveling. Didn’t fall off the turnip truck last week.

• Haha
Does the NE just get reimbursed poorly? Or are people just getting taken advantage of due to supply and demand?
I ask because my city in the South is I guess an in demand city and I have been offered some 1099 for $150 an hour. When I ask why so low, all I get is, “it’s the market rate.”
Yeah, Uhmm, think I will stay traveling. Didn’t fall off the turnip truck last week.
Yeah $150/hr for 1099 would seem low end. I’m in practice in the infamously poor reimbursing NE and $180-250/hr is more common (many of these spots throw in some benefits as well)

I guess there are a multitude of factors there. CRNAs are incredibly expensive and if your group is paying their salaries it can very much limit your profitability as a partner. Then you have declining reimbursements from Medicare/Medicaid, poor billing practices, high costs of hiring locums to staff things during the pandemic and suddenly your partner paycheck isn’t so great!

If that job is more frequently 2/3:1 supervision and those hours are accurate I would consider that not bad overall.

maybe not.
in the NE, the CRNA cost and admin salaries are very high compared to other areas. Hospitals cheap with subsidies, heavy on call and inefficiency, some anesthesia practices barely scraping by - or collapsing and becoming part of a larger organization..

Locum $200 to start. The rest is how much you are welling to push. Some will give a completion bonus. If you stick around long enough.

Just left a practice to join another in the NE. It’s all about payer mix, nothing magical. If you are 40/60 maybe ~500. 50/50 400. 60/40 you could be in danger for hospital take over, since many of us won’t do it for CRNA pay. 120*55hr/wk*46wks=300. Obviously there are some benefits that we are not considering when you straight up compare salaries alone. I was able to contribute to my 401k, as soon as I joined, no waiting 1 year. Some PP will contribute full maximum 38,000 every year. Your typical AMC will give you some silly 6 year vesting schedule. Health insurance, I haven’t had to pay for my family’s health insurance. That’s another 10-15G if you have a family of 3+. All these things add up. All these things no one wants to consider when people take a job.

The easiest/hardest thing in the equation is actually to estimate how much people actually “work”. Because everyone’s definition of work is different. When you’re warming a chair vs yelling at nurses vs waiting for something to happen. Inevitably, partners you talk to will down play “work”. So it’s much harder than I once thought to compare a hourly rate.

You’ll work hard when you’re here, but at least you’re having fun.... fun really makes the time go by. People you work for/with makes the experience. But none of this you will really find out until you’re there.

Last edited:

Northeast actually has the highest median commercial unit value ($90). But there seems to be too many hands in the pot.

01F3C733-FA29-4746-ADB5-EBE611B06136.jpeg

Northeast actually has the highest median commercial unit value ($90). But there seems to be too many hands in the pot.

View attachment 325476
Well that sucks. No thank you. My first job out of residency 8 years ago was in the NE. Offers were 300-325. Luckily my job was pretty benign and I worked about 40 hours a week or less will full retirement funding. Left because of the cold and the politics of the CRNAs.
Seems like upper Midwest and South is the place to be. Except for mostly having to work with CRNAs.

I don’t think you can compare locum hourly pay to partnership track jobs- apples and oranges. There is value inherent in job security, ownership, not to mention benefits packages etc which aren’t reflected in a simple $/hr comparison.

Seems like some people (@chocomorsel et al) can crush it with full time locums- more power to you! And thanks for sharing your experiences. It’s all useful info for the community... But for the job seekers, don’t get it twisted. Locums is a whole different ball game... In general you’re trading job security and geographic stability for a higher hourly paycheck.

The easiest/hardest thing in the equation is actually to estimate how much people actually “work”. Because everyone’s definition of work is different.

Agree. Plus, people are horrible at estimating their hours/week and almost always way overestimate. The only somewhat objective measure is to compare # of units generated per FTE. At least then you know how much actual work people are doing there. Then you have to add in call structure (in/house v home, etc).

For example, although I wish I was one of those 750k 99% MGMA folks - I’m not. But we’re around 75% MGMA for salary, but just under 50% MGMA for workload (by units). I feel like that’s a pretty good deal. 2.5 outta 3 if you will.

Reactions: 2 users
When jobs advertise 'total compensation', what is generally the range of benefit value? Obviously widely variable. But let's say a post advertises "average compensation 450k", what is a typical salary vs benefit breakdown?

When jobs advertise 'total compensation', what is generally the range of benefit value? Obviously widely variable. But let's say a post advertises "average compensation 450k", what is a typical salary vs benefit breakdown?
Depends. If you are an employee it doesn’t matter how many units you generate. You get paid a set salary and what matters is how many hours you are at work. If due to poor scheduling I’m sitting on my @ss for 2 hours I still count that as work. If my employer obligates me to be somewhere, that’s work...

Salary
Benefit (health insurance, profit sharing/401k) ~12000 + 38000 = 50,000
business expanses (typically 10k, been interviewed at places they actually don’t have a limit.... be creative but also not trigger anything stupid can be hard work too) = ~10,000
Vacation (some will assign a value to this, let say you can always do a vacation buy back for $1600/day. 1600*30 (6 weeks of vacation) = ~50,000

So I can shamelessly advertise my job as a 450+ job. When your base salary is actually 330K.

But some of those $$$ are definitely not what you see on your W2.

Salary
Benefit (health insurance, profit sharing/401k) ~12000 + 38000 = 50,000
business expanses (typically 10k, been interviewed at places they actually don’t have a limit.... be creative but also not trigger anything stupid can be hard work too) = ~10,000
Vacation (some will assign a value to this, let say you can always do a vacation buy back for $1600/day. 1600*30 (6 weeks of vacation) = ~50,000

So I can shamelessly advertise my job as a 450+ job. When your base salary is actually 330K.

But some of those $$$ are definitely not what you see on your W2.

Interesting. I never considered the value of vacation when looking at postings that only referenced total compensation.

I don’t think you can compare locum hourly pay to partnership track jobs- apples and oranges. There is value inherent in job security, ownership, not to mention benefits packages etc which aren’t reflected in a simple $/hr comparison.

Seems like some people (@chocomorsel et al) can crush it with full time locums- more power to you! And thanks for sharing your experiences. It’s all useful info for the community... But for the job seekers, don’t get it twisted. Locums is a whole different ball game... In general you’re trading job security and geographic stability for a higher hourly paycheck.
Well I can tell you that the salaried jobs here suck as well. It’s all USAP or PP paying 275-300 to start. In another TX city I was offered $220 about 7 years ago with Pinnacle before they became USAP. And a full time better one in San Antonio but the first year you were literally doing the scrap afternoon and night cases only. I don’t know what they pay “partners” or if there are really partner jobs out there anymore.

I stay locums right now cuz I have no kids and can therefore travel plus I don’t want to be taken advantage of. And I write off a lot on taxes being a 1099. And I don’t have the proper connections or pedigree training to land myself a superstar job. And I hate call unless mild like my two previous call gigs. I don’t believe in killing myself on call for money.

That being said, there is a job that is a full time job possibly in the works next year.

Edit: I also want to practice CCM more than anesthesia but full time CCM jobs do not want to give you any kind of vacation and constantly try to push that whole 26 weeks off BS in your face like it's such a great deal. It's not, and doctors are too stupid to realize it. Hard to find a job with even a couple of real weeks off per year. But if I were to find a combined CCM/Anesthesia job that didn't just staff the SICU and the CVICU I would be very interested.

Last edited:
Interesting. I never considered the value of vacation when looking at postings that only referenced total compensation.

Two words from my write-up.
“Always” can do a buy back. - as long as you have a choice to sell and the practice is always welling to buy at a set price I can accept it as compensation. Think of it as the residual/legacy thinking from the heyday of anesthesia. You only get paid when you actually do cases, you eat what you kill. If you don’t kill, you don’t eat. The flip side is also true, if you want vacation, you don’t work, you don’t eat.
In this kind of model, you “always” can work more, and there will “always” be someone who want to buy your vacation, like a older partner who only works 26 weeks, but welling to pay for partially foot the bill (their bonus at end of the year to buy your time).

It is a little convoluted logical and explanation, hopefully it makes some senses. Or some other more senior members can help clarify.

Second word is “shamelessly”. A lot practices out there do use some forms of deceptions when they trying to get you to join. Don’t get me started on the “recruiters”. They’re at best a car salesman. At worst a used car salesman.

And honestly I wouldn't say I was crushing it. Plenty of people on this board are crushing it making >$550 a year. But I am sure their lifestyle is nothing like I would want mine to be. I don't make that much as I stay in the 4s but take off when I want and each year it's at least 12 weeks. And not those post ICU weeks that don't count either.

Or maybe their lifestyle is what I want, and they had the right "pedigree" and connections and landed that sweet job where one works 45 hours a week average and does at least half their own cases and gets 10 plus weeks off a year and call isn't brutal.

Crushing it would be this chic right here. @neurochica

But I am not complaining about money. Just realizing that these long seven day stretches will lead to a quick burnout. I will not work anymore shifts unless someone is paying me T+1/2 like they pay the nurses. No thank you. We may be docs but we should know our worth.

Thanks for the mention @chocomorsel. EVERYONE has their idea of their perfect job. I was quite happy making $350k working 7/7 12 hours shifts in an academic setting. DREAM JOB

When i started having children, my priority shifted to spending the most amount of time with my family. I decided to go the locum route with a twist- I negotiated my own contracts with the hospitals. Now i work between 100-120 days a year (90% in the summer) and make $600k+. I take and pick up my kids from school EVERY day......this to me is priceless.

Some of the docs here are against 1099. Ill say this- I pay less taxes on my $600k+ right now that when I was employed making $350k. If you have the right team of CPAs, and if you are into retirement savings , you can save more than $100k into retirement accounts etc.

To those seeking employment: make a list of things you want in a practice and location- then a make list of things you can't live without. While medicine is our profession, and something we love, make sure to also learn the business because someone is getting rich off your back. You should be the one getting rich.

Reactions: 5 users

Thanks for the mention @chocomorsel. EVERYONE has their idea of their perfect job. I was quite happy making $350k working 7/7 12 hours shifts in an academic setting. DREAM JOB

When i started having children, my priority shifted to spending the most amount of time with my family. I decided to go the locum route with a twist- I negotiated my own contracts with the hospitals. Now i work between 100-120 days a year (90% in the summer) and make $600k+. I take and pick up my kids from school EVERY day......this to me is priceless.

Some of the docs here are against 1099. Ill say this- I pay less taxes on my $600k+ right now that when I was employed making $350k. If you have the right team of CPAs, and if you are into retirement savings , you can save more than $100k into retirement accounts etc.

To those seeking employment: make a list of things you want in a practice and location- then a make list of things you can't live without. While medicine is our profession, and something we love, make sure to also learn the business because someone is getting rich off your back. You should be the one getting rich.

You hiring?