rating all of the illinois schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

classof2018

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone familiar with Illinois schools please give the pros and cons of each? Also, if you don't mind, how would you personally rank them?

UChicago,Northwestern,Rush,Loyola,UIC,SIU,Rosalind Franklin,Midwestern

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone familiar with Illinois schools please give the pros and cons of each? Also, if you don't mind, how would you personally rank them?

UChicago,Northwestern,Rush,Loyola,UIC,SIU,Rosalind Franklin,Midwestern

I can't really speak to the other schools, and what others think about them probably shouldn't play a huge role in how you rank them, but I'll be attending Loyola this year, and the general consensus (again, FWIW) is that it's a solid school. You can read my thoughts about the school here, if you want.

Members don't see this ad :)
In general, what tiers would these schools fall in and how well are they respected throughout the region/country?

Illinois resident here. SIU is definitely a no-go for people from Northern Illinois (anything a bit above Champaign essentially). Midwestern is a DO school and it's located in Suburban Chicago (so is Rosalind Franklin but Downers Grove is by far a way better town). The only other school I can possibly talk about would be UIC which has multiple campuses around the state in which you are assigned to. Last I heard, a good chunk of the students were graduates of UIUC.

UChicago/Northwestern - Top
Rush, UIC, Loyola, Rosalind Franklin - Mid
Midwestern - DO
Southern - If you're not from Central/Southern Illinois.. you're very highly not likely to get in

Midwestern - DO
Southern - If you're not from Central/Southern Illinois.. you're very highly not likely to get in

Is there a major difference between UChicago and Northwestern? Likewise, how do people separate the middle tier schools on your list?

Midwestern - DO

I agree with this with the clarification that Rosalind Franklin is probably more the bottom of mid tier (compared to other Illinois schools listed) or is low tier.

Is there a major difference between UChicago and Northwestern? Likewise, how do people separate the middle tier schools on your list?

Pritzker is in Hyde Park. Very beautiful part of the city, but surrounded by crappy areas. Feinberg is on the lake next to the heart of downtown. Both are top schools, perhaps they can be differentiated by pre-clinical grades? I am sure both offer excellent clinical opportunities, though Northwestern would have the upper hand in emergency medicine.

Rosalind Franklin has better board scores than all but Northwestern... or so they said!