RAVE HERE thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know what some of it means, and I know now what I had to do to fix the laptop, which makes me smarter* than the easy tech guy at staples who said "buy a new hard drive" but not as smart as my CS friends who think I should have learned to work with Linux/Ubuntu.

I think you should have learned to work with Linux. ;)

Members don't see this ad.

The science camp in the town where I went to undergrad that has all sorts of animals (lemurs, sloths, miniature horses and donkeys, birds, a camel, wallabies, snakes, ferrets, dogs, cats, etc.) told me yesterday that they want a group of vet students to come down and, with a veterinarian supervising, do physical exams on as many animals as possible!

The science camp in the town where I went to undergrad that has all sorts of animals (lemurs, sloths, miniature horses and donkeys, birds, a camel, wallabies, snakes, ferrets, dogs, cats, etc.) told me yesterday that they want a group of vet students to come down and, with a veterinarian supervising, do physical exams on as many animals as possible!

That sounds awesome!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
:soexcited:The olympics start today! :soexcited: (Or officially they do since soccer has already started)

Yes...serious Olympoholic here...I watch every single event on tv and then of course all the equestrian events live online. Anyone else excited like me? Anyone going? (Need to know who to be jealous of the next couple weeks. :laugh: ) GO USA!

:soexcited:The olympics start today! :soexcited: (Or officially they do since soccer has already started)

Yes...serious Olympoholic here...I watch every single event on tv and then of course all the equestrian events live online. Anyone else excited like me? Anyone going? (Need to know who to be jealous of the next couple weeks. :laugh: ) GO USA!

Will definitely be watching!!!!

Planning on watching, too! I'm not going, but a few of the others at the equine hospital where I'm spending the summer are.

Love the Olympics! GO USA!!!!

So excited for the Olympics!!

So fun/cool fact. The flag bearer for the USA this year, Mariel Zagunis, used to fence for my undergrad, Notre Dame. AND a few of the fencers on Team USA this year are some of my former teammates!!!! :D

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
So fun/cool fact. The flag bearer for the USA this year is Mariel Zagunis, two-time gold medal sabre fencer. Believe it or not she's one of my former teammates. :D

Ah that's awesome! :claps:

I have the most supportive boyfriend and I am so grateful for it. The day I left he was just incredible and I never imagined him being so supportive of me leaving our life to go to veterinary school. We both started crying and he just grabbed me and gave me the tightest hug and said the perfect things. It's impossible to explain in words how special it was, but I think back to that moment a lot and it makes me cry and smile. I woke up this morning to a message from him saying he has been wandering around the past few days since I left, feeling like there is something he's supposed to be doing, that he knows it's just a transition period and that he wants me to know that he misses me, I am his best friend, and he loves me more than he's ever been able to show. It made me cry. First tears of happiness, then tears from missing him. I'm so thankful that things are strong between us because I know it will take that and more to make it through the next four years.
:biglove:

I got a text right as I was going to bed last night saying "I love you baby." Seems like he got himself a phone. He should be calling me soon. :)

MrsSOV is home for the weekend! Spending quality time together!

I must say it is tiring being a bachelor and taking care of doggies, a kittie, and this house (which seems emptier and bigger without MrsSOV). Life is simpler when we are together!

MrsSOV is home for the weekend! Spending quality time together!

I must say it is tiring being a bachelor and taking care of doggies, a kittie, and this house (which seems emptier and bigger without MrsSOV). Life is simpler when we are together!

I know the feeling. I have the doggies, kitteh, and no help as well. He has the big house though.
Enjoy your time together! Get off SDN! ;)

My house is really empty now, too. With two people, it was ok, but alone..

My brother and two of his friends are moving in next week though. I'm happy people are coming, but we'll see how I feel about it in a few weeks. :laugh:

I know the feeling. I have the doggies, kitteh, and no help as well. He has the big house though.
Enjoy your time together! Get off SDN! ;)
We are sitting on the couch together, and she is supposed to be studying.... although now that I look at her computer that doesn't look like classwork on her screen. :eek:

We got up early and have a full day so far:D

Yay for feeding programs. I'm so excited that we have an Oxbow program. My piggies will love all the cool stuff I'm going to get them. And most of it's organic!

Completed my first triathlon and won my age group!!!!!!

Ok. So I was also dead last in my age group. I was the only 20-something female there. And I didn't have a mountain bike, so my only goal for the day was to finish and not destroy my poor hybrid. It was awesomely fun though!

Ok. So I was also dead last in my age group. I was the only 20-something female there. And I didn't have a mountain bike, so my only goal for the day was to finish and not destroy my poor hybrid. It was awesomely fun though!

Congrats!

Yay for feeding programs. I'm so excited that we have an Oxbow program. My piggies will love all the cool stuff I'm going to get them. And most of it's organic!

:thumbup:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using SDN Mobile

Mr. SOV told me it was TigerWillow's birthday and I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Tiger Willow!:hardy:

Our birthday's are so close to each other! Mine was last week. Yes, Mr. SOV got me flowers. He can be a sweetie.

It's so awesome for the dog/cat/small rodent owners, but my ferrets are seriously feeling left out! oi.

That's too bad. I'm still kicking myself for ordering Purina. I didn't realize Hills has a grain-free option. Not that it matter for my little dog, but she's been on grain-free for a while and seems to like it. I'll be switching at the next order.

That's too bad. I'm still kicking myself for ordering Purina. I didn't realize Hills has a grain-free option. Not that it matter for my little dog, but she's been on grain-free for a while and seems to like it. I'll be switching at the next order.

Oh! That's nice to know! I've been debating with myself about whether it's worth $40/month to keep my dog on grain-free dog food instead of free Purina. :thumbup: I've heard there's a discount from Natural Health club or whatever, but free is good!

Oh! That's nice to know! I've been debating with myself about whether it's worth $40/month to keep my dog on grain-free dog food instead of free Purina. :thumbup: I've heard there's a discount from Natural Health club or whatever, but free is good!

Ours isn't free, but all the money goes to support the students I think. I think it was like $8 for a 12 lbs bag. Which isn't bad. It's a chicken and potato recipe. It's not quite as gourmet as some of the grain free foods, but it's nice they have the option. It all depends on what the school offers though.

Ours isn't free, but all the money goes to support the students I think. I think it was like $8 for a 12 lbs bag. Which isn't bad. It's a chicken and potato recipe. It's not quite as gourmet as some of the grain free foods, but it's nice they have the option. It all depends on what the school offers though.

My dog is in on it, and I cant really decide if I like it. The kibbles are tiny and she tends to inhale her food, so that doesnt help. Its less kcal/cup than her last food, but it hasnt helped with her losing weight at all (she was sooo thin on other grain-free diets and it was better than being chunky) And she poops like eight times a day since I put her on it. I had her on grain free prior to vet school and was thrilled to be able to put her back on one, but I'm not so sure I'm impressed with how she's handling it. Might be making another diet change :(

AWESOME!! Mad props to you!! :claps:

Congrats on passing your classes, Emiloo! But was there any doubt??

My dog is in on it, and I cant really decide if I like it. The kibbles are tiny and she tends to inhale her food, so that doesnt help. Its less kcal/cup than her last food, but it hasnt helped with her losing weight at all (she was sooo thin on other grain-free diets and it was better than being chunky) And she poops like eight times a day since I put her on it. I had her on grain free prior to vet school and was thrilled to be able to put her back on one, but I'm not so sure I'm impressed with how she's handling it. Might be making another diet change :(

Thanks for the info. I've got a 6 pound picky eater. She's never been one to inhale her food and does well regardless of the size of kibble. She has been producing more poop than I thought her body could on her current food (Core). I'll try it and see how it works. She's never had GI problems because of food though. I do hope that you find a food that works well for your pup.

Congrats on passing your classes, Emiloo! But was there any doubt??

Honestly for the first time in my life, yes, I was doubtful and it freaked me out lol. Thanks though.

Mr. SOV told me it was TigerWillow's birthday and I just wanted to say Happy Birthday Tiger Willow!:hardy:

Our birthday's are so close to each other! Mine was last week. Yes, Mr. SOV got me flowers. He can be a sweetie.

Awwwwww thank you so much!!!!!!!

(and I dunno how sweet SOV is.... He got me killed in the WW game :( )

Just finished a 10 day vacation with the boyfriend. It was my first time going away with a SO. I had a blast!

I got to meet up with my thesis supervisor from undergrad. Because of him, I think I know what I want to do to prepare for next year.

I am currently taking a gap year to work so I can pay off some of my debt. I have no chance at all for my local vet school unless I move or re-take expired undergrad courses.

I am going to start the search for a Masters supervisor. If I get in for 2013, I can start upgrading my expired undergrad courses by taking one at a time until I boost my average enough for an interview. If that doesn't pan out, I am going to apply to the vet tech program to become a RVT. I am contemplating getting certified to be a lab tech if all else fails. 99.9% of the research assistant jobs I have seen require that.

I have a plan! Yay!

I posted a few days ago that I had "taken a level in computers" and have now finally completed the project of turning this older dell into a media server for the house. There were lots of drivers to be installed, and 113 windows updates that took forever, but Ubuntu has been banished! Now if only I could say the same for my cold :(

I'm watching True Blood season 1 on it and everything seems to be working great!

Also, I ran into my old labmate while on vacation. It made me feel quite good about myself when he said "I watched a really... dumb... girl get into vet school where I live and I said to myself, how is it that S (aka me) cannot get in?!"

:p

I get to watch/help with a congenital diaphragmatic hernia repair in an hour and MIGHT even get to scrub in!!!!!!!! I'm peeing myself with excitement.