Ray Diagram or stick with EK's method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

stitchattack

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only really encountered 1 mirror/lens discrete question. I read the AAMC explanation and they want you to use the ray diagram. Do you really need to know how to do it? EK has a simpler method..basically says converging lens and concave mirrors form real, inverted, and positive images. Will that be sufficient? I do know the other formulas like how to find the magnification and focal length.

Members don't see this ad.

I think knowing the formula is enough. You can derive all the relationships by plugging in random numbers.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think you need to know how to construct ray diagrams. For the convex mirror and diverging lens, remember SUV (smaller, upright, virtual).
For the concave mirror and convex lens, play around with animations you can find on Google until you have a little video in mind of how the image changes as you vary the position of the object.
I agree with justadream above, but you'll really want to have a good qualitative idea in mind in the high stress of the real thing.