rc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
B

balkan tooth

hi just wanted to know what is the best method to really understand and quickly answer the questions on these long passages on the actual dat .

Members don't see this ad.

if you are a slow reader like, i suggest you to go straight to the questions. Answer all the straightforward fact/detail questions while skipping the tone/inference questions. By the time you answered those questions, you will be able to answer the tone/inference questions. If you still can't get it, just go to the relevant paragraph and figure them out. If you still can't, just skip and move on. With this method I was able to get over 20. I hope it helps.

i really appreciate the response but i would to ask you i little more on the tone questions. do they ask questions like what is the overall tone of the author or do they ask something like what was the authors tone like in paragraph 5. thanx

Members don't see this ad :)
if you are a slow reader like, i suggest you to go straight to the questions. Answer all the straightforward fact/detail questions while skipping the tone/inference questions. By the time you answered those questions, you will be able to answer the tone/inference questions. If you still can't get it, just go to the relevant paragraph and figure them out. If you still can't, just skip and move on. With this method I was able to get over 20. I hope it helps.

I have to agree 150% - even if you're a fast reader, by the time you get to the questions, chances are (unless you have a photographic memory... in which case, I'm completely jealous) that you won't remember the DETAILS of 75% of what you read. From my own experiences, it's not necessary to read the passage in its entirety (i.e. word for word) in order to answer tone or main idea questions - if you do need to do that, you could be in trouble. Just like everything else, you need to just do more practice RC sections if you have issues answering tone and main idea questions (using the strategy that allstardentist suggested)...

Don't waste valuable time trying to answer one tone or main idea question when there are easy points that you can get by answering the other questions for a passage.

Do you think that MCAT verbal practice exams are good enough to build reading skills for the DAT RC section? There's much more resources for the MCAT verbal than DAT RC...

Do you think that MCAT verbal practice exams are good enough to build reading skills for the DAT RC section? There's much more resources for the MCAT verbal than DAT RC...
i think the MCAT passages are very much different than those on the DAT. they might help a little bit now that the DAT is putting more variable type questions (tone, etc) on there, but the MCAT verbal questions to me just seem far different and require good reasoning/critical analysis skills and very little comprehension skills (seek-and-find type questions) which is what you find more of on the DAT.

something i always tell my teams (been coaching gymnastics for a while) -- "practice does NOT make perfect...PERFECT practice makes perfect" -- you have to practice like you would perform"

GL!

I liked ur method for the RC, thnx a lot. I have two questions, when u skip a question in this section is it possible to go back and answer it before you move to next passage?
In real DAT is it possible to highlight some important part of passage for upcoming questions ?

I liked ur method for the RC, thnx a lot. I have two questions, when u skip a question in this section is it possible to go back and answer it before you move to next passage?
In real DAT is it possible to highlight some important part of passage for upcoming questions ?

Answer to 1st question: YES
answer to 2nd q: i dont think u can highlight it, but if you see something that would be a possible answer to an upcoming question, you can write down the important keyword(s) on your scratch paper while indicating which paragraph they are from and move on.

u can highlight a word, sentence, or paragraph, but once you click to the next (or pevious) question, the highlighted portion is no longer highlighted