RCSI Interview and Ireland News

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

trapper12

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have an interview with RCSI in two weeks and I was wondering if anyone else does? Has anybody done an interview with them before? Any tips? I've already received my rejection letter from Trinity which was my other top school I'm still waiting to hear from UCD. Anybody else have news from the Ireland schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I've been accepted to RCSI for the 5 year program starting this October. I'm american.

My advice is that you know your own application inside and out. It seemed to me that the majority of questions asked were about me personally. For example, they asked me to talk about my family, and when did I first get interested in medicine. They asked me what I had been doing the past couple of years since graduating from undergrad. (all of this information was in my application but they wanted to hear it from my mouth anyway).

I had one nice interviewer and one gruff one. They bounced off each other in that way. The most important thing they are trying to discern is whether you really want to do this. They kept emphasizing how much my education would cost. JUST DON'T FLINCH. The interview lasted about 15-20 minutes. I was very honest about myself and my aspirations. I felt a bit worried afterward, (which I think is how they want you to feel) but thankfully, i'm in.

Good Luck.

Hello,

I also have been invited to interview with RCSI this coming Sat in New York. Haven't really been sure about how to go about preparing for the interview. But I'll go over my application and be honest and sincere in my answers and hopefully everything will go alright. Maybe I'll see you there.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'll be there on Friday. I really want to nail this interview since I've been turned down at the other schools already. I wasn't expecting that, I thought with my stats and ec's I'd have no problem getting in, but apparently this just isn't my year. Anyway, I'll definitely be as prepared as I can be going into this interview. Good luck to you and let me know how you do.

what were your stats for getting an interview with RCSI? gpa mcat?

Well, they said they'd let us know in 2 weeks but I need to know sooner because I was accepted to the University College Cork even though I thought I was rejected there, I guess I was just on the waiting list. But I would prefer to go to RCSI, and UCC wants a deposit around the same time RCSI would send the acceptance letter. I think the interview went alright, but you never can tell. Peter was great though, very informative and honest. GraduateStud, how did you feel about it?

As for my stats, they're not great, but definitely I feel combined with all my EC's I'm competitive. I have a 3.1 cumGPA undergrad in Molecular Biology and Anthropology with a 2.7 science, which is what killed me with the US schools. I have an MPH with a 3.5 GPA, and a 28T MCAT. My EC's are numerous, including clinical and research experience in Ghana and the Himalayas, volunteered 1 1/2 years in Germany, fluent in German, 2 publications, captain of varsity squash team and captain of 2 national collegiate champion racquetball teams, plus various other leadership and volunteer positions and work experiences. So I always felt like my EC's would pull up my apps but it seems that most US schools have a 3.0 minimum in any GPA, so my science GPA just killed me, I feel I got a lot of rejection letters before they even looked at my full app.

doesnt RCSI have a gpa and mcat cut off. I think u have to have a 3.5
I wonder if it helps if you are irish

RCSI reserves 25 spots for North American students every year through the Atlantic Bridge program. I don't know if there's a cutoff, but I got an interview with them with my stats. I don't know what the stats are, but they're probably decent with so few spots open.

Do people out there studying medicine at rcsi like the colege, hows the atmosphere, how's the lecturing, etc?