Rcsi mub

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow I really wasn't expecting an answer so soon and am really happy to hear from you. When you say quality isn't Canadian I hope you mean that its nowhere near the U of T standard (if you go here then you know what I'm talking about-->the class average needing to be a C+) LOL anyways disregard my joke and thanks a lot for your efforts. Really love what you're doing.

Sorry 2 quick questions. You're really gonna hate me LOL

Are there any 24 hour spots to do some late night studying? Ie. library or you know those common areas?
This one may sound stupid, but whats the max I should pay from the airport to busaiteen at RCSI or in that area? What's a good price?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

3. I heard although this may be astupid question is it true you don't use cadavers? I was hesitant to ask thisduring my interview but how are you expected to learn if you don't usecadavers. I've seen both plastic models and cadavers and those are 2 differentthings????

Cadavers yes lol, I am surprised your asking about this… not many peopleseem to ask, and end up being surprised in the end (I knew when I came in, butmany didn’t). Yes, the university doesn’t use cadavers, Is this a problem? No,not at all. MUB literally has invested in hundreds of thousands of dollar ingetting top notch model for us to learn from. The models that they use areexcellent and you can learn all your anatomy from there. They are always accessiblein the lab, and you can book the labs whenever you like and work through them.Even Dublin’s anatomy lab from what I heard has 5-6 cadavers to work (for theentire school).

Ok see the thing is, that when you learn anatomy… you need to learn themuscle insertion and origin, nervous supply, blood supply, muscle action etc…all these things are very difficult to see in the cadavers. But with the modelseverything is labeled, with detailed diagrams of every model uploaded online.Yes true, with the cadavers you can appreciate the individual differencesbetween the human bodies… but for learning purpose they aren’t that great.Since bodies are so hard to come by, 20-30 people would be working on onecadaver, do you learn anything from this…NO…yes it would be cool, but not goodlearning tools. they have models for everything... from the hand, to the arm,the brain, eyes, knee joint, you name it, MUB has it. Plus RCSI are providedwith dissection videos from Dublin that are uploaded online for those who are eager.Cadavers are only important if you’re doing postgraduate training in surgery.

4. What would you pack with you? Forfirst year? What should you definitely bring? Anything that you would bringthat you didn't have?

k, let’s see… for first year… Well ifyou’re going to live in one of the apartments in busaiteen, then bedsheets,pillows, etc… will be provided by the landlord (if not ask for them). Pots,pans, plates, etc.. will be provided as well. You can always buy yournotebooks, pen, pencils and what not, from Bahrain. Textbooks can be brought atthe campus book store. A laptop will be provided by the school (we got a dell, don’tsure what you guys will get). Pack your clothes I guess loll :p… Bringsomething to entertain yourself, Bahrain can be a pretty boring placesometimes.. so like books, your xbox (off course bring this at your know risk,you’re in med school, So you got some serious work to do). Anything I didn’t haveI brought from Bahrain, so don’t worry too much about this

5. Any advice for us? Anything thatyou would recommend? Anything that you would do differently?

Not much really, med school will definitely be a different experience, but Imsure you will enjoy. Just please do work from the very first week, its hard sometimesI know when your settling in a new country and stuff... but your hardwork inthe beginning of the semester will pay off in the end. Study like a couple ofsolid hours every day, and your good J.

6. How is the match rate for theupper years? Have you heard anything about residencies and how easy is it tocome back to the US?

The residency issue is an interesting one. Some students this year havemanaged to get spots in Canada (which is motivating)... Some also got in the US(in addition to last year’s batch) and other places in Europe. For exact matchrate you should email the school, because unfortunately they don’t publish theirmatch rates anywhere. It is getting tough to get back to north America as timegoes on because, every state is increasing its number of seats, opening moremedical schools… so the window of opportunity is closing slowly. But that’s notto say it’s impossible to go back. Doing electives (in the location where youwhat to work), doing observer-ships, research etc… getting good grade, allincrease your likely-hood of going back. I am not going to sugarcoat it, it’s atough road ahead… make sure your ready for it and enjoy it.. And everythingwill fall in place.

7. Living if you could please commenton this or recommend a cheap apartment close to the school?

There are tons of buildings around the campus for you to live in. Theuniversity usually has a list of apartment building around the campus whichthey update every year… email them and ask for the list for the most currentinfo (my info is probably dated). Thereis a huge price rate around the area for 200-250 BD per person to 300-400 perperson. Honestly you would have to check around a bit.

8. How is the general student lifethere?

Student life is good. Most people are studying most of the time, so peoplereally don’t get time to do stuff. Like I said before we have an active studentcouncil and there will always be something for you to do on campus.

9.Can you comment on the schedule? Doyou like it? Is it from 9-5? what about labs? Any helpful information?

Well schedule like I said before can change on the last moment, this has todo with lecturer not being available since they would go on call at the lastmoment (they are doctors after all)… or some random rearrangement. Classes onsome days can run from 8-4 or whatever, and some days you will only have oneclass, so its different every day, but rest assure you do get all the lecturedelivered to you. You do get labs, anatomy labs where you work on the models,with an excellent instructor (a doctor) once a week.

Wow I really wasn't expecting an answer so soon and am really happy to hear from you. When you say quality isn't Canadian I hope you mean that its nowhere near the U of T standard (if you go here then you know what I'm talking about-->the class average needing to be a C+) LOL anyways disregard my joke and thanks a lot for your efforts. Really love what you're doing.

Sorry 2 quick questions. You're really gonna hate me LOL

Are there any 24 hour spots to do some late night studying? Ie. library or you know those common areas?
This one may sound stupid, but whats the max I should pay from the airport to busaiteen at RCSI or in that area? What's a good price?

haha good old UofT. When i say the quality isn't Canadian.. its hard to explain. Dont get me wrong, the education quality is on par with any med school (even UofT in some cases), it just a different way of doing things ( not sure if i am making any sense to you, :( ).

No 24 study spot, thats a another bad point. The study area in the uni closes at 10, (there cafes around barhain that are open 24/7 tho, not reccomended unless you have your own car)

Dont worry there are no stupid questions, only stupid answers lol.. The airport is very close to the university accually, so that a good point. First time you land in bahrain, you should take one of the metered cabs (cause they are more trust worthy).. they can be expensive 5-10BD MAX. Once you get familiar with the country you can take one of the private cabs, that can cost up to 2-4 BDs

I know how frustrating it can be when you’re looking for answers and no one is out there to help you (believe me, I was in the same position last year so I know :p ), if there is anything else don’t hesitate to ask, I am happy to help..

Members don't see this ad :)
Can i also ask which uni students usually do summer electives? Specifically canada and us

Sorry i am not sure what your question is, Do you mean where do students do there electives ?

Wow thanks you are amazing. Thanks a lot for the detailed answers and quick response. Really not liking the cadaver business. When you get a bellringer and have to name the actual body part on a person its totally different from the when you see it in the model. But I guess we'll just have to learn it like that. But again thanks a lot for your answers. But what I hunk wat docs87 meant was how does the elective business work? Is it possible to do them in canada or the us. In terms of whether or not the school makes an effoet to try and connect you with schools in the us or Canada? Also if we sign up for hat rommate listing if they email you back before school starts

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I was also wondering what's your perspective.on this exclusive and inclusive business with the apartments. Would you recommend getting an inclusive apartment? Well I guess my question is how much approximately should I expect to pay for my electricity, water, municipality etc separately? Again thanks a lot. You don't know how helpful you've been

Yes that's exactly what i was asking :) I'm canadian so i was wondering which universities in Canada or the US can we do electives

Sorry for bombarding you with questions but I was also wondering what's your perspective.on this exclusive and inclusive business with the apartments. Would you recommend getting an inclusive apartment? Well I guess my question is how much approximately should I expect to pay for my electricity, water, municipality etc separately? Again thanks a lot. You don't know how helpful you've been

You should go for an inclusive apartment (most apartments should be all inclusive). Inclusive would just save you the trouble of paying the bills yourself. Most landlords would charge you about 50BD (that includes your water, electricity )..., Your landlord sud take care of that for you. No worries at all.

Yes that's exactly what i was asking :) I'm canadian so i was wondering which universities in Canada or the US can we do electives

You can certainly do them in US and canada (a bit difficult tho). The school has some links with universities in canada like mcmasters, so they will help you out certainly. I am not sure which university across US and Canada offer electives to IMG tho, because some don't... you would have to find this out on your own. Sorry.

The university has some staff specially to help students out with that kind stuff... you can go talk to them anytime, and they can point you in the right direction. Mostly tho, we are required to arrange for them ourself.

You can certainly do them in US and canada (a bit difficult tho). The school has some links with universities in canada like mcmasters, so they will help you out certainly. I am not sure which university across US and Canada offer electives to IMG tho, because some don't... you would have to find this out on your own. Sorry.

The university has some staff specially to help students out with that kind stuff... you can go talk to them anytime, and they can point you in the right direction. Mostly tho, we are required to arrange for them ourself.

Wow I didn't realize that the school had links with mac. Do you know of any other schools that it has links too in Canada or the US? Also can you comment on the NUI situation. Rumour has it (someone said that atlantic bridge told them this) that NUI has been dissolved although I read in an article that they wanted to keep it? Any other preparation or advice I would really appreciate. I'm trying to get a grasp of how everything is there (I keep rereading your replies), but I guess I won't know till I get there.

Also wondering if any Ontario students filled out the Institution approval sheet and got approved for RCSI-MUB?

good day..

any students accepted in the 5Yr program from Lebanon??

seeking a roommate (2 bedroom apt.) maybe a couple hundred BD/student..i found good offers about that much..

roommate preferably international student..

thank you

good day

thanks for not leaving us newcomers in the dark...
a question: could there(by any chance) be financial aid offers or student loans? from rcsi mub?

Members don't see this ad :)
If your looking for a roommate try the rcsi mub buddy program.Also i have
been looking for grants thru the school but have yet to find anything.

Last edited:
well i have tried it but no answer..i hope i can find someone asap cz i think im late on finding a place..

Lol I've been bombarded with emails with ppl looking for a roommate. Subway you didn't submit it early enough so ppl have old lists. You can try emailing student services and they will give u a list of all the other students looking for a roommate. I'm sure somebody's looking

Hey guys,

I am currently enrolled in the 5year program at the RCSI-MUB and will be commencing my first year in a few weeks. I am residing in a 2-bedroom apartment located in the Busaiteen area next to the college. The landlord is asking for a monthly payment of BD 650 so that would come at BD 325 per person. If anyone is interested in sharing this apartment with me feel free to drop me a message and then we can arrange a way to meet.

Cheers,

Anwar

Hey all!:D
I am goin to join RCSI-MUB this year and I would like to know how is it being like studying there....is it going to be rotting and mugging up coz' I have come from CBSE school in Saudi... (Yeah U had to mug up...and I never did :/ )
I know that Bahrain is a very nice and a peaceful place as such but do u guys have field trips every year ? Could u list the clubs and societies too?
I would also like to know if anyone is interested in being my roommate (Female,Christian) as I have a 2 bedroom apartment which is at a walking distance to the college.
And what about the degree that we recieve? Do we get the Bahrain Medical degree in addition to RCSI and NUI?
How is the teaching there?Do we get extra help?
Please let me know....

Hey everyone ... I am joining RCSI Bahrian this year and I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with ? does anybody know a good place for an apartment within walking distance from the college ?

Hey everyone ... I am joining RCSI Bahrian this year and I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with ? does anybody know a good place for an apartment within walking distance from the college ?

Hey guys,

I am currently enrolled in the 5year program at the RCSI-MUB and will be commencing my first year in a few weeks. I am residing in a 2-bedroom apartment located in the Busaiteen area next to the college. The landlord is asking for a monthly payment of BD 650 so that would come at BD 325 per person. If anyone is interested in sharing this apartment with me feel free to drop me a message and then we can arrange a way to meet.

Cheers,

Anwar
hey anwar ... do you still have a room available for one more roommate ? i will be attending RCSI this year in september 2013

good day..

any students accepted in the 5Yr program from Lebanon??

seeking a roommate (2 bedroom apt.) maybe a couple hundred BD/student..i found good offers about that much..

roommate preferably international student..

thank you
Hey ... I am joining RCSI Bahrian this year (2013) and I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with ? would you still have a vacancy ?

Hey ... I am joining RCSI Bahrian this year (2013) and I am looking for a roommate to share an apartment with ? would you still have a vacancy ?

I would truly appreciate it if anyone could tell me about financial aid (loans, scholarships, grants)? How do you plan on paying the tuition and living expenses? Did you have savings up to $200,000?? I searched and do NOT think that RCSI- Bahrain is eligible for FAFSA loans, correct me if I am wrong!! Thanks in advance!

Hey :')
How much is the cost for the 6 year program for studying MBBS course in RCSI bahrain ???
And i would be realy grateful if u could tell me whats in the foundation year? Thanks

Last edited: