RDH to DDS Prerequisites Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RDH_2_DDS

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I got my BS degree in dental hygiene from University of the Pacific, Dugoni School of Dentistry and my plan is to advance my dental education and proceed to dental school. I've been admitted for a second bachelor's degree in biology which I can finish in 2 years but I am debating on whether or not I should just do a year to finish my prerequisites and apply or actually finish the degree. I'm pretty much good with GE. Here are my science and math grades:

General Biology = B both semesters
General Chemistry = B 1st sem, C 2nd sem
Calculus 1 & 2 = A both sems
Human Anatomy = A
Human Physiology = A
Microbiology = A
Organic Chem 1st sem = C

Essentially I need to finish the 2 semester of physics, 1 semester of organic chem, and 1 semester of biochemistry. I also still need to take the DAT. I also don't have research yet but lots of dental extracurricular activities and clinical experience. My goal is to apply to dental schools solely in California.

Any advice on how I should proceed is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There's no point in doing a second bachelors. Complete your prereqs and work part time as a RDH.

There's no point in doin' a second bachelors. Complete yer prereqs and work part time as a RDH.

Of course this is an assumption but supposedly if I get a high DAT score and finish the remainder of my prerequisites with an A, could I be competitive enough for schools like the UCSF or my previous alma mater UOP?

Members don't see this ad :)
how long was your RDH degree? (2 or 4 years?)

Of course this be an assumption but supposedly if me get a high DAT score and finish the remainder of my prerequisites wit an A, could me be competitive enough for schools like the UCSF or my previous alma mater UOP?

It depends on your overall GPA. The higher the grade the better.