RE-App chances, very discouraging last year!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

platformshoes

Round 1!
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, so here's the deal. I'm a re-app, and I need help finalizing some schools and I'm turning to SDN for some help this time.

Last year I tried my app at the following schools as an applicant from a western state:

Rochester
Virginia
UNC
U Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Baylor
UTSW
UT Houston
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Utah

It didn't work out, and I was really depressed about it (maybe too top-heavy? I don't know. I though one of them would come through). What changes in schools should I do for this year? I'm hitting up a few of them again, but any other ideas?

I've got a 35, 3.78 and fairly strong EC's I think. I have research for about 2 years with a poster, shadowing with various doctors totaling about 60 hours, volunteering in a mental hospital and a normal hospital :)laugh:), work in a health-care setting, and some fun hobbies that I like to devote my time to, among other things. I can give more info if needed, as I have a few other things.

Since last year I have more time volunteering, my senior year as a 3.98 overall which will hopefully boost last year's gpa above, and more work in a health-care setting.

Is it worth it for me to give it another go? Last year was bad for me, as I thought I would at least get in somewhere. Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

Ouch, it looks like you were a solid applicant. Sorry it did not work out. May I ask how many interviews you attended? Apply more broadly! I cant tell you where to apply, but you should double the schools you applied to this year. Did you receive any feedback from the schools? I think that you will get in this year. Good luck!

I got interviews at Vanderbilt, UTSW, UT Houston, Ohio State and Utah.

I'm thinking of applying to Wake Forest, Iowa, and SUNY schools (are they OOS friendly?), plus maybe some other Texas schools? I don't know. I don't know if I want to go through the application process again... It was so hard to wait and wait and wait and wait... and for what? Re-app. :( Still on waitlist at one school, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
1. When did you submit your primary?
2. What is your state of residence?

Those questions would clear some things up. I also don't think you applied broadly enough or smart enough. Many of the schools you chose do not accept a lot of OOS applicants, and the only private schools on your list are very good schools that are tough to get into.

Depending on your state of residency, I would apply to 20-30 schools. Take a look at the MSAR and try to select ~12 schools around your LizzyM score, ~8 schools below it, and ~5 schools above it.

You should also submit your primary ASAP.

Texas schools arent really oos friendly. Try the philly, boston, ny schools. If you were gettin interviews at schools like vanderbilt, you should have no trouble getting in at least somewhere

I'd assume that you're from Utah since theres no reason to apply there unless you are from Utah.

In that case, don't bother applying to UNC. There is less than 2% chance of being accepted there from out of state if you are not MSTP. Apply to more private schools and fewer state schools and add some state schools that are more out of state friendly like VCU.

I'd recommend adding:
Einstein, Wake Forest, VCU, Emory, Mt. Sinai, NYU, Boston, Tufts, Pitt, Case Western and probably additionally Temple, Drexel, EVMS as safties.

I wouldn't bother with the texas schools quite as much since they are very biased towards in-state. Not sure if this is true for Ohio State as well.

Ok, so here's the deal. I'm a re-app, and I need help finalizing some schools and I'm turning to SDN for some help this time.

Last year I tried my app at the following schools as an applicant from a western state:

Rochester
Virginia
UNC
U Wisconsin
Medical College of Wisconsin
Baylor
UTSW
UT Houston
Vanderbilt
Ohio State
Utah

It didn't work out, and I was really depressed about it (maybe too top-heavy? I don't know. I though one of them would come through). What changes in schools should I do for this year? I'm hitting up a few of them again, but any other ideas?

I've got a 35, 3.78 and fairly strong EC's I think. I have research for about 2 years with a poster, shadowing with various doctors totaling about 60 hours, volunteering in a mental hospital and a normal hospital :)laugh:), work in a health-care setting, and some fun hobbies that I like to devote my time to, among other things. I can give more info if needed, as I have a few other things.

Since last year I have more time volunteering, my senior year as a 3.98 overall which will hopefully boost last year's gpa above, and more work in a health-care setting.

Is it worth it for me to give it another go? Last year was bad for me, as I thought I would at least get in somewhere. Thanks for your help.

I think you have a lot of state schools listed, but they are all over...Unless you are a resident of TX, I think you might have only the slimest chances of admission there.

What state do you live in? If it is a state that has no med school, does it have agreements with other states?

You also only applied for 11 schools, and unfortunately (as stated above) to too many state schools that would probably have slimmer opportunities for nonresidents.

Also, make sure that you're working on your application right now! You want to make sure that you have your application in as soon as possible. Your GPA looks good, as well as your MCAT and ECs. I just think you made bad school choices.

Good luck this year! :luck::luck::luck::luck:

Thanks for the responses, everyone! Hopefully I can give a little more info to my decisions, for what little it's worth now! :laugh: My primary was in near the beginning of July, and I claim UT as my residence (I wish I could claim somewhere else!). I lived in Texas for a few years and I'd like to go back there, and I hoped that living there would help. I have family ties to NC (in Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area), but didn't think I was a good enough applicant for Duke. Applicants to Ohio State from my area seem to do very well, and the Wisconsin schools were more of a shot in the dark.

Thanks for the school-ideas, rapplix, and for everyone's responses. I don't know if I have the money to apply to a ton of schools, but then again, I don't know if I have enough to re-RE-apply. :oops:

Any other ideas? Thanks in advance!