Re-app chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alex4d1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you y'all think are my chances at getting in? Any input's appreciated, I need all the advice I can get!!!

I'm a re-app, but my stats haven't changed too much. 3.53 cGPA and 3.41 sGPA with a downward trend, save for the last few classes I took in undergrad and a class I took for fun a year ago. 512 on the MCAT that I took in 2016. I didn't get any interview invites last time I applied, and my application was limited because I was underprepared and didn't get a doctor's LoR.

Quite my job as a lab assistant when I didn't get in the first time, couple papers in prep but not published, and started applying to clinical positions. I've been working as an MCAT and SAT tutor for Kaplan since then, and after failing scribe training once I'm training as a scribe again right now at a different site. I know there are other jobs out there, but I'm stubborn and I wanted to prove that I can do it. I have some hours helping a student-run clinic (100 or so) and some hours shadowing (100 I believe) from undergraduate, but nothing to write home about.

I have the letters from science/non-science and an MD writing a letter for me. Old boss at research job said she'd write me a letter as well.

Would I be able to get into less competitive DO schools? I know my clinical hours aren't very high..

Members don't see this ad.

Have you done any volunteering or clinical work at all since you graduated?

Reactions: 1 user
WAsn't able to read everything right now. Did you apply DO last cycle?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much clinical experience/volunteering/exposure do you have? And do you have any non-clinical volunteering? Your stats alone are good for most if not all DO schools. It is something else, if you didn't get in. Also, how many schools did you apply to and which schools did you apply to? In my opinion it sounds like not applying to enough schools/the right schools and/or not having enough clinical exposure/volunteering under your belt.

WAsn't able to read everything right now. Did you apply DO last cycle?

Yes but I made the mistake of not asking for a doctor's letter of recommendation. I totally botched the application the first time and only managed to apply to 5 schools. One of my biggest regrets honestly.

How much clinical experience/volunteering/exposure do you have? And do you have any non-clinical volunteering? Your stats alone are good for most if not all DO schools. It is something else, if you didn't get in. Also, how many schools did you apply to and which schools did you apply to? In my opinion it sounds like not applying to enough schools/the right schools and/or not having enough clinical exposure/volunteering under your belt.

Sorry been out of town for mother's day.

I have some clinical experience, about 100 hours participation but not on the clinic floor (I wasn't proficient in vietnamese and they mainly wanted vietnamese translators helping at the student clinic), instead I was a part of outreach for that student run clinic. Besides that I recently I drove from norcal down to socal just to shadow a doctor for three days straight and I'm getting a lor from him. Besides that I was also a peer counselor/volunteer for the first two years of college for mental health issues, did some research towards the end of college and have some papers in-prep.

I think you're totally right that it was a mix of all those things, but I'm just not sure if I've done enough since then to at least show the clinical exposure aspect...I tried getting hired as a scribe last winter but didn't pass training. Apparently I inadvertently applied to the strictest hospital in Sac and they only accepted 2 out of the 14 people they put through training that season, but still that's really no excuse I really should've worked harder in my opinion. I got accepted to scribing at a different hospital and I'm determined to pass training this time at this new site, I wanna prove I can do it. But the thing is I'm not sure schools would like to see that my clinical exposure this year has mainly been shadowing doctors for a limited amount of time and failing scribe training...