Re-applicant 2015-2016 (38 MCAT 4.0 GPA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You chose U Chicago instead of Northwestern in Chicago? Trust me, biking on the South Side of Chicago is gonna be an interesting experience. You might catch a stray bullet or two, but no biggie.

Also, I really hope your essay was a little more concise than your OP! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just avoid a third cycle at all costs. That is all.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
^^^this

1) do your homework on how you're gonna pay for med school applications for this next cycle, between fee waivers and opening a credit card. start a kickstarter or something, idk
2) apply to any school you want, EARLY. pre-write your secondaries. choose 15 or so, all in the top 20 if that's a must, it seriously doesn't matter with your stats and story.
3) get some interview practice. i know you think they went well last cycle, but 2 insta-rejections (not waitlists) means they might not have gone as well as you thought

as a doctor you are going to make a career out of problem-solving. getting into med school with a 4.0 and 38 is one of those *good problems to have*. figure this out!! we all know you can do it

Reactions: 2 users
You're a very well qualified applicant who made some strategic errors first time around. Fix those; apply early -- and you should get one or more acceptances to choose from. Some suggestions:
  1. Don't apply mid-low tier OOS. Your numbers are too strong for them. They know it. And they'll not bother with you since they expect you'll have better options. (No school wants to be someone's 'safety school'.) I'd say nothing below a USN&WR 40-50 ranking unless you've got a really good reason. (Like in-state low tuition.)
  2. Apply to 15-20 schools that you'd genuinely like to attend. Your numbers present no barriers, so start from the top and winnow down. If you really want to stay bike-focused (vs. buy a crap car with your med school loans) then that can really help you narrow your list.
  3. Find the money for one good application cycle. Credit cards will work for this. Seriously - one good well-thought-out 'all in' application cycle is all you should need. I get that borrowing money for this feels wrong or dangerous. (Get through that.) As has been said, keeping up the minimum payments only on that CC will not adversely affect your credit.
  4. And if you 'just miss' the FAP cut-off, consider if you might be better off working just a little bit less to 'just make' that cutoff. (I know that probably feels wrong too.) And don't just take 'medical' jobs. If you've got that base covered (sounds like you do) and if you really need to make more money (sounds like you do) then take any job that pays well.
  5. Take a few steps backwards and examine your application from a distance -- Do you have 'meaty' stuff for every box? Your numbers are excellent, you've got lots of clinical, worked to support yourself. Shadowing was light -- get to 40 hours by June. Research you've got. Any other holes or weak spots? Find 'em and plug 'em.
  6. You admit you're wordy. Get a kind but ruthless editor to review your PS and secondary essays to help you make them more concise. (PM me if you want. I'm pretty good at this if I say so myself :cool:)
  7. Sounds like you have a tough-luck back-story. There are fines line between revealing too much and revealing too little, and balancing victimization, resiliency, boot-straps, naivete and possible resentment. Tone is difficult and critical. Again - insightful editing.
  8. Does your school have a pre-med committee? Is there any professor who could mentor you? Your PI? Someone who can 'hook you up' with physicians to shadow, opportunities to earn a little extra $ to help apply to one more school or attend one more interview? If your pride is preventing you from asking for help, then recognize how self-sabotaging it is. Don't let your pride keep you from reaching your dream. People in positions of leadership genuinely love being able to help worthy people attain their goals - seriously. Especially if it's easy -- like 'make a phone call' easy. Ask that LOR-writer who said he wrote you the best letter he'd ever written. Ask. (And of course, thank-you notes after.)
That's all I've got. I'm pulling for you --

Reactions: 7 users
I did not know that. Thank you! I am not familiar with the University of Chicago area, but tried reading most of the information on their medical school website. I did see the implicit notion that Hyde Park might be dangerous and people are worried about it.

Yes, I am very well aware my writing style can be wordy :p I am working on that. Every essay on my primary (the MD and MD/PhD essays) were the full character count. My story was complicated to tell and was hard to cut it down. I will try my best to cut it down to the bare minimum. Thank you for the suggestion!

I think Hyde Park and the UChicago area used to be a lot worse than it is currently. When I interviewed, I felt very safe. Word on the street is that Uchicago has the leading bid for the Obama presidential library which should help improve the area. Its actually a really nice quiet area a little removed from the hustle and bustle of downtown. As long as you don't wander on foot outside of the University and residential area (Hyde Park/Kenwood) I think you're fine. Again, this is all hearsay because I'm not a current student yet but from my visit, the students I've talked to, and the research I've done, it seems like a really nice place to be. (If you live in Regents Park you will be right on the water too!)

Reactions: 1 users
I think you stats gets you into interviews but it is very important to catch up with research because during interview they will only ask you research question in depth. You might feel that you answer the questions but the answer might have not been right.
I really think that you need to present the research more and understand more about it. Like ask your boss and labmate website of the conferences. You can be member of the feild as well just ask your labmate what is the national professional society is.
And go to those and present and get more connection. Also at your department there must be a weekly seminar for the graduate student or many invited speaker around. You should ask your boss and be in the list serv and go to those.
What is your field again and what is the citation of you paper? Present in paper in posters and talks form is a good idea
. At UF these is this seminar for undergrad: http://cnem.chem.ufl.edu/undergraduate_research_seminar.html you can sign up and present

I pm'ed you (at least I think I did....)

But I agree with what's been stated. Apply early. Definitely include your healthcare ECs. Up the shadowing experience. You didn't mention what it was in - some schools like to see you've included some primary care. Do you have a chance to do mock interviews? Sometimes they can be really helpful, too.

My suggestions: Pitt (already mentioned), Iowa, UNC, CCLCM

I ment if you really go to national and international conference they might as you more different questions that your lab mate might not think off. And you build up your CV as well like you add up those stuff like posters, presentations talks and so on for the CV and it looks good and it really counts toward a strong application and applicability of independent research

Honestly...if you don't qualify for FAP, why are you so strapped for money? It either means your parents are mismanaging finances, or you are. Something's going on there. 300% FPL doesn't make it rain, but I just don't see the inability to shell out some more money for more schools if you go frugal and don't have some other huge overhead.

Are you sure the money argument isn't just an excuse to cover up for your ego that refuses to accept lower tier schools? Gotta ask that question.

@DokterMom, there's no such thing as a 'lower-tier' MD/PhD school though, right? So why not apply to more of those programs.

Honestly less than 15-20 schools for MD/PhD WITH the regular school application as well is pushing it.

OP needs more schools on the list. No way around it.

@DokterMom, there's no such thing as a 'lower-tier' MD/PhD school though, right? So why not apply to more of those programs.

Honestly less than 15-20 schools for MD/PhD WITH the regular school application as well is pushing it.

It seems like in OP's mind, there are many MD/PhD programs that aren't good enough for him :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad :)

It seems like in OP's mind, there are many MD/PhD programs that aren't good enough for him :rolleyes:

This is poor information when correlated to MSAR in-state acceptance percentages.

Irvine 90% in-state, SD 84% in-state, SF 82%. . . etc.

These are pretty biased IMO.

This is not completely true. UCSF for example has a slight bias towards granting IS people interviews/secondaries but then it's an even playin field. IS people are more likely to matriculate but once you secure an interview, no more bias.

This is not completely true. UCSF for example has a slight bias towards granting IS people interviews/secondaries but then it's an even playin field. IS people are more likely to matriculate but once you secure an interview, no more bias.

Also those stats are wrong for UCSF, it's about 50/50 for acceptances post interview.

Did you apply to WUSTL the first time around? If not, it should be near the top of your list. I would also consider applying MD/PhD there as well if that is still of interest. (even though I am almost categorically against MD/PhD)

Start with: Case, NW, Vandy, Emory,USC, Rochester...
Better get some clinical experience for most of these, though.
+1 I think you would fit Case well. Research-heavy school with great clinical rotations.

People think it's impossible to do research without an md/PhD which is totally incorrect. If that's the reason for your interest don't do it.

If you're interested in it because of the money, then realize that the extra time spent makes the money a bit of a wash.

Those are some of the reasons why mimelim doesn't like them.

You can't run a research lab and have a practice. It's more efficient to hire a PhD and run a joined lab do you can do research if that's where your interest is.

@wowsers didn't get banned because of this thread, fyi.

Yes, I am already quite clear of all the pros and cons, commitments, and alternatives. The reasons above are not why I considered MD/PhD.

I believe that those are some of the reasons mimelim has given in the past. I wasn't saying that's why you wanted to do it.

Also, please don't type posts entirely in bold. It's obnoxious.

And yes, you're going to have to find a way to apply to more schools as you said. You got some awesome interviews, but the reason you're not going anywhere is because of how top heavy your list was. Are you on any waitlists?

I have gotten more than enough helpful information from this thread. I think I am defending myself now from trivialities more than making anymore progress at the current development of the thread. I am deleting all my posts even after considering this thread might be helpful to others. Sorry. I have divulged some personal information and need to take that into consideration too. As more of a lurker, making this thread was out of place for me. I hope this community respects that.

Anyways, to update people who have followed this thread, some of my top choices now are Pitt, Case Western, Chicago, and NW. I am beginning to talk to my mentors now, who know me well, and will refer to their tailored advice instead of from a public forum. I got my needed initial direction/suggestions, and now I am fine taking it from here. Thank you everyone who helped. Cheers