Re-applicant (3.93 GPA 506 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shindykin

Reaction score
Hello!

I applied this previous cycle and have not received any interview invites after applying to approximately 20 MD schools. Since my last application I have added research experience, ER volunteering, and more shadowing to my application. I am starting to think about applying for next cycle since I have had little movement this cycle. I would love any advice of where I should apply this upcoming cycle and/or areas of improvement I can focus on. Thank you all :)

GPA: 3.93 sGPA~ 3.94
MCAT: 506 126/127/125/128
State: OR
College: University of Providence (MT) small catholic liberal arts university
Ethnicity: White
Clinical Experience: 1200 hrs as a CNA on surgical floor of hospital
Research: 150 hrs Lab Aide at Huntsman Cancer Institute helping with Biobanking for Leukemia research
Clinical Volunteering: 120 hrs ED of local hospital, 168 hrs Dental Mission trip
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100 hours University Athletic Department (Kids sports camps and game operations) 70 hours assisting with friends small business venture
Shadowing: 30 in person hours 15 online hours. Looking to get more
Leadership: 2019-2020 University of Providence Student Body President, 2018 season Women’s Volleyball team captain, University Board of Trustees member
Other ECs:
  • 3 years University of Providence Women’s Volleyball
  • Youth Ski Instructor Park City Mtn
  • Award: President’s Honor Roll, NAIA Academic All-American, voted NAIA Champion of Character
Hobbies:
  • Skiing
  • Fly Fishing
  • Sewing

Members don't see this ad.

Which schools did you apply to ?
Wake Forest
Central Mich
Wayne State
Arizona Tuscon
OHSU
Michigan State
Temple U
Rosalind Franklin
Western Michigan
Creighton
Drexel College
Arizona Pheonix
Loyola Stritch
Howard U
UN Reno
TCU
Oakland U
Wright State
Penn State
Morehouse
University of Utah

Members don't see this ad :)
You did not have a good school list. Howard and Morehouse accept mainly applicants from the African American community. You also applied to many state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
OHSU
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
WESTERN
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
PCOM (all schools)

You did not have a good school list. Howard and Morehouse accept mainly applicants from the African American community. You also applied to many state public schools that accept few non residents with no connection to the state. I suggest these schools when you reapply:
OHSU
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Albany
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
As a reapplicant you should also apply to DO schools and I suggest these:
PNWU-COM
WESTERN
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
UIWSOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)
LECOM (all schools)
UNECOM
PCOM (all schools)
Okay, Thank you very much!

Hello!

I applied this previous cycle and have not received any interview invites after applying to approximately 20 MD schools. Since my last application I have added research experience, ER volunteering, and more shadowing to my application. I am starting to think about applying for next cycle since I have had little movement this cycle. I would love any advice of where I should apply this upcoming cycle and/or areas of improvement I can focus on. Thank you all :)

GPA: 3.93 sGPA~ 3.94
MCAT: 506 126/127/125/128
State: OR
College: University of Providence (MT) small catholic liberal arts university
Ethnicity: White
Clinical Experience: 1200 hrs as a CNA on surgical floor of hospital
Research: 150 hrs Lab Aide at Huntsman Cancer Institute helping with Biobanking for Leukemia research
Clinical Volunteering: 120 hrs ED of local hospital, 168 hrs Dental Mission trip
Non-Clinical Volunteering: 100 hours University Athletic Department (Kids sports camps and game operations) 70 hours assisting with friends small business venture
Shadowing: 30 in person hours 15 online hours. Looking to get more
Leadership: 2019-2020 University of Providence Student Body President, 2018 season Women’s Volleyball team captain, University Board of Trustees member
Other ECs:
  • 3 years University of Providence Women’s Volleyball
  • Youth Ski Instructor Park City Mtn
  • Award: President’s Honor Roll, NAIA Academic All-American, voted NAIA Champion of Character
Hobbies:
  • Skiing
  • Fly Fishing
  • Sewing
I would also suggest that you consider DO programs, especially if you're inclined towards primary care.

I also wonder if you presented yourself well your application. -- PS, MMEs, Activity descriptions and secondaries. I know it's a tough cycle and you were aiming a little high give your MCAT, but you also had a lot going for you.

When applying to medical school, you have to be competitive AND you have to present your qualifications effectively.

Also, did you apply in June?

I would also suggest that you consider DO programs, especially if you're inclined towards primary care.

I also wonder if you presented yourself well your application. -- PS, MMEs, Activity descriptions and secondaries. I know it's a tough cycle and you were aiming a little high give your MCAT, but you also had a lot going for you.

When applying to medical school, you have to be competitive AND you have to present your qualifications effectively.

Also, did you apply in June?
Okay thank you for your suggestions. I am going to apply to DO programs this cycle. I did submit in June and turned in my secondaries within two weeks of receiving them. I did a lot of work on my PS and had multiple people work on it with me. I felt it was pretty solid but my PS and activity descriptions are always a place I can improve and will be working harder on this coming cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Sounds like you have a great attitude and approach.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Does it seem like my few shadowing hours is holding me back?
No. But don't reapply with -0- recent clinical exposure. keep it up. If it's shadowing OK. if it's something like working as a scribe or EMT or on a crisis hotline, even better.