Re-applicant Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bearded gent

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I applied June 2017 (2016-2017 cycle) with these stats:

AACOMAS: cGPA: 2.99
sGPA: 3.12

TMDSAS: cGPA: 3.01
sGPA: 3.01

MCAT: 497 (C/P 123 CARS 121 B/B 127 P/S 126)

URM Male AA

Obviously, I didn't get accepted into any DO schools. I plan on reapplying during the upcoming 2019 cycle and I'll be retaking the MCAT in ~ 8-9 months. I begin studying this upcoming week. Can I use letters of recommendation from my previous application? If not, should I take a couple classes like General Psychology or A&P II to raise my cGPA and sGPA and possibly get new letters from these science professors. Second question, should I just focus solely on studying for the MCAT and shadowing a DO? I didn't have a DO letter during my first application so it's definitely one of my main priorities. I work full time, so I'm trying to manage my time and schedule as efficiently as possible to warrant the best outcome. I do plan on going part time at the beginning of next year, as a scribe, to further strengthen my application. Any input or further suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Did you have an upward trend in your post-bacc?

You should ask your previous letter writers to update their LORs. If they have nothing to change/add to the meat of the letter, they can just change the date and upload.

Studying for the MCAT seems like your top priority. But you also need to continue your volunteer work. You can't have low stats AND low EC hours. Getting a DO letter would be a good idea so you can apply more broadly, but if that's going to take time away from MCAT studying and your volunteering, then you shouldn't bother.

Did you have an upward trend in your post-bacc?

You should ask your previous letter writers to update their LORs. If they have nothing to change/add to the meat of the letter, they can just change the date and upload.

Studying for the MCAT seems like your top priority. But you also need to continue your volunteer work. You can't have low stats AND low EC hours. Getting a DO letter would be a good idea so you can apply more broadly, but if that's going to take time away from MCAT studying and your volunteering, then you shouldn't bother.
Unfortunately, my post-bacc maxed out ~ 3.5 gpa. Received A's in Biochemistry, Neuroscience and Neuroanatomy. I'm also worried about a sub 3.0 cGPA cut off for some DO schools even if it's by .01 of a point.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to try to boost your grades and study for the MCAT and continue volunteer work and still hold down a job, you might want to reconsider applying next cycle.

I'm applying for the 2019-2020 cycle. Sending in application May/June 2019.
Take a few additional science and non science courses in the coming year to raise your cGPA above 3.0 and to increase your sGPA. Post your new MCAT score here next year and I can suggest a list of schools to apply to.

Reactions: 1 user