Re-applicant, apply late this cycle or apply next year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Koci

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied late last summer (end of junior year) in September 2017 only in MDs before getting my Mcat results. I had a 3.0 cum gpa and ended up getting a 484 on my Mcat because i rushed and did not have time to study enough.I did not now much about the processes at the time but at the same time i didn't want to miss my chances by not trying at all. My Ecs are good and the LORs as well just the Mcat and gpa was very low.

I will graduate in a month and i am expecting my gpa to increase since i got mostly A this last year, any suggestions on where i can calculate my cum gpa would be appreciated. I have two transcripts from two different institutions and the AAMC does not give me the link to calculate my cum gpa unless i apply, but i want to see where i stand before i apply just in case if i need to take any post-bacc courses to increase by gpa.

Was thinking if i retry to retake the Mcat this summer maybe in July and start studying after May 15 when i finish my finals and have some time to prepare going through Kaplan courses intensively for about 2 months. If i do that i would still end up applying late because my Mcat result would come out in August. Not sure if applying late will affect my application by much?

The other option is to wait and go through Kaplan for a longer time and take my Mcat in January 2019 and apply early next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

Wait. Get the application right next time.

Reactions: 2 users
Applying late affects your application significantly.

Just apply next year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Applying late affects your application significantly.

Just apply next year.
This. Not only are you a reapplicant, but you also have less than median stats. You dont want to disservice yourself any further.

Reactions: 3 users
93% of those who took the MCAT did better than your score.
Do not take it again until you are likely to have a score consistent with success (no matter how many years it takes). A series of weak scores is much worse than a single one.
Don't apply to places that average scores.

There is a grade calculator about half way down on this post: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*

You need to fix your MCAT issues before you even think about reapplying. Not to mention you might have to do grade repair. As people have mentioned before, it's a marathon, do it slow and sure.

OP committed the 3 major mistakes that any applicant could possibly damage their application
1. Low GPA - 3.0 cGPA
2. Low MCAT - a sub-500 score because "i rushed and did not have time to study enough"
3. Rush applying at end of Junior year because " i didn't want to miss my chances by not trying at all."

OP needs to fix the first 2 issues (re-take MCAT with serious prep and GPA enhancement via SMP/post-bac), then apply early. As others said, OP would need minimum 1 year to fix the first 2 issues, then apply 2019-20 cycle. Otherwise, re-applying with 3.0 GPA and sub-500 MCAT are just throwing money down the drain...

Do not apply late. Applying late is enough to end your application before it even starts even with good numbers. Focus on the weaknesses in your application that you have already identified. Have you considered doing a post-bac or Master's to up your GPA? Getting a better MCAT will also really help. Look into getting great ECs as that may help to lessen the focus on the numbers too.
I tried the Masters but i got rejected due to my low Mcat, i feel like the post bacc will make me repeat the same classes that i took in undergrad.
I might repeat the class that i did bad on an extension school and work to improve my mcat for next year.

Do not take it again until you are likely to have a score consistent with success (no matter how many years it takes). A series of weak scores is much worse than a single one.

There is a grade calculator about half way down on this post: *~*~*~*IMPORTANT: How to Format Your WAMC Thread for Optimal Results and More!!*~*~*~*
Thank you for the information.
I have also had suggestions that i should still apply for alternative programs. For example applying for PA and DO this summer and continue with my plan on preparing for the January 2019 Mcat and also retake classes that i did bad, at an extension school during this gap year and then apply early in May 2019 for MDs.

Applying to the PA and DO will not really interfere with my primary plan because it will be during the summer and it will still allow me enough time to prepare for my January 2019 Mcat and May 2019 application.

The only reason why i was suggested to do this is because most of the MD applications are very similar so even if i do reach my goal and get my score to a competitive level, that will not necessarily guaranty my admission. This was suggested as a plan "B" in case my MD application gets rejected even after reaching the competitive score( as seen from many students in the forum that has happened) i would still have another option instead of starting the applications again after spending 2+ years trying to get into MDs and failing.

In the situation that i do make it into both MD and one of the alternatives, at the time i get my MD decision ≈ (Spring 2020) i would be pursuing the alternative school and would have to drop the PA/DO program in the first year and continue the MD path.

I know this is a bit confusing and kind of unrealistic but i would appreciate to get your feedback.
Thanks

Thank you for the information.
I have also had suggestions that i should still apply for alternative programs. For example applying for PA and DO this summer and continue with my plan on preparing for the January 2019 Mcat and also retake classes that i did bad, at an extension school during this gap year and then apply early in May 2019 for MDs.

Applying to the PA and DO will not really interfere with my primary plan because it will be during the summer and it will still allow me enough time to prepare for my January 2019 Mcat and May 2019 application.

The only reason why i was suggested to do this is because most of the MD applications are very similar so even if i do reach my goal and get my score to a competitive level, that will not necessarily guaranty my admission. This was suggested as a plan "B" in case my MD application gets rejected even after reaching the competitive score( as seen from many students in the forum that has happened) i would still have another option instead of starting the applications again after spending 2+ years trying to get into MDs and failing.

In the situation that i do make it into both MD and one of the alternatives, at the time i get my MD decision ≈ (Spring 2020) i would be pursuing the alternative school and would have to drop the PA/DO program in the first year and continue the MD path.

I know this is a bit confusing and kind of unrealistic but i would appreciate to get your feedback.
Thanks
I don't know any MD schools that will accept you out of a PA or DO school.

Have you given any thought to masters programs that you might enjoy that or maybe not purely medical science-based? Like truly going into a chemistry masters, not necessarily one designed for entry into medical school. Or you can do a masters in something if you have other interests Perhaps linguistics, because who wouldn’t want to learn a bunch of languages? You can also use a masters degree to start a backup plan in case you don’t get into medical school. A computer science degree would probably be pretty different, could have substantial value in health technology, and could get you started on an alternate career path that would also be successful. While taking the Masters you have the opportunity to for it to be funded, and you could use elective spots for science courses if you’re at sGPA needs to be bumped. These types of masters would require a GRE score, which is just like the SAT, not the MCAT.
Yes i have thought of that as well and there are many more options related to medical science that i did not apply, PA,DO and many others.
I am more passionate about the medical science programs but in case i can't make it, i would surely pursue a different type of program.
I just replied to gyngyn with what my plan might be, i would appreciate you thought as well if you can take a look at it.
Thanks

I tried the Masters but i got rejected due to my low Mcat, i feel like the post bacc will make me repeat the same classes that i took in undergrad.
I might repeat the class that i did bad on an extension school and work to improve my mcat for next year.
You don't repeat classes in a post bacc, you take new upper div science courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes i have thought of that as well and there are many more options related to medical science that i did not apply, PA,DO and many others.
I am more passionate about the medical science programs but in case i can't make it, i would surely pursue a different type of program.
I just replied to gyngyn with what my plan might be, i would appreciate you thought as well if you can take a look at it.
Thanks
Go read my post on reinvention for pre-meds.

With your current MCAT score you are DO for every DO School in the country

Anyone knows where i can do a good post bacc program in MA. I also got suggestions that i can choose particular classes at Harvard extension school. Which one of the the two would be more beneficial? I have already asked many MD schools and they reply that they do not provide advising to re-applicants or future students and that i should talk with my adviser. The adviser is telling me to do my own research so basically i am on my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

You don't repeat classes in a post bacc, you take new upper div science courses.
I guess it depends, i have asked at BU and they told me that their post bacc certificate program is more for students who are non science related and for me it would be just repeating my pre-med science courses. Do you know any good post- bacc program that i can go to in MA.
Thanks

OP committed the 3 major mistakes that any applicant could possibly damage their application
1. Low GPA - 3.0 cGPA
2. Low MCAT - a sub-500 score because "i rushed and did not have time to study enough"
3. Rush applying at end of Junior year because " i didn't want to miss my chances by not trying at all."

OP needs to fix the first 2 issues (re-take MCAT with serious prep and GPA enhancement via SMP/post-bac), then apply early. As others said, OP would need minimum 1 year to fix the first 2 issues, then apply 2019-20 cycle. Otherwise, re-applying with 3.0 GPA and sub-500 MCAT are just throwing money down the drain...
It seems like even if i try to do an SMP/post-bacc, it will take me more than 70 units to reach a competitive gpa that means over 3 years.
Using the spreadsheet that gyngyn suggested that is the predicted target that i get, see attachment please.

Attachments

• Cum Gpa.xls
    176 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:

Thank you for the link.

It seems like my gpa did not change much from last year even though i did better this year, since i am still around the 3.0 area. Using the tool that was on the spreadsheet to predict how many courses i would need from a Post-Bacc/ SMP to reach a competitive gpa it would be over 70 units. I guess that will take me over 3 years assuming i will get mostly As (and if they do accept me with my low Mcat).

I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet just in case if i did not use the tool correctly and would appreciate if you could take a look at it. Any other suggestions if i don't have any chances for the MD, if i should try PA or DO would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for the information provided to me.

Attachments

• Cum Gpa.xls
    176 KB · Views: 77
The goal isn't to raise your GPA to competitive level it's to reinvent yourself and show that your last 30 to 60 credit hours are much better

Thank you for the link.

It seems like my gpa did not change much from last year even though i did better this year, since i am still around the 3.0 area. Using the tool that was on the spreadsheet to predict how many courses i would need from a Post-Bacc/ SMP to reach a competitive gpa it would be over 70 units. I guess that will take me over 3 years assuming i will get mostly As (and if they do accept me with my low Mcat).

I have attached a copy of the spreadsheet just in case if i did not use the tool correctly and would appreciate if you could take a look at it. Any other suggestions if i don't have any chances for the MD, if i should try PA or DO would be very helpful.

Thanks a lot for the information provided to me.
A solid year of A's in upper div sciences would show trend.
An MCAT above 500 would put you in the running for DO schools. Another MCAT below 500 and your trend would go for naught at most places.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone knows where i can do a good post bacc program in MA. I also got suggestions that i can choose particular classes at Harvard extension school. Which one of the the two would be more beneficial? I have already asked many MD schools and they reply that they do not provide advising to re-applicants or future students and that i should talk with my adviser. The adviser is telling me to do my own research so basically i am on my own.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Have you considered Tufts' MBS program or Boston University's MS in Medical Sciences? They both accept the GRE and it is MUCH easier to study for than the MCAT.

Have you considered Tufts' MBS program or Boston University's MS in Medical Sciences? They both accept the GRE and it is MUCH easier to study for than the MCAT.
Got rejected from both due to my low Mcat

Not sure which ones only require GRE but i would assume they also look at my Mcat since i already took it. And i probably need a month or more to prepare for the GRE and part of them have already closed the applications for the 2018-2019 cycle. I was looking at the Georgetown school because they have a linkage, i could also go to other schools that do not have any relation to medical schools but i doubt i can get in MD from those schools.

I have heard a few people going for PA instead of SMP/Post-Bacc and then try to get in MD. They all require about 2 years commitment and in case i cannot get accepted i would have a PA instead of a Master or a non degree.

Not sure which ones only require GRE but i would assume they also look at my Mcat since i already took it. And i probably need a month or more to prepare for the GRE and part of them have already closed the applications for the 2018-2019 cycle. I was looking at the Georgetown school because they have a linkage, i could also go to other schools that do not have any relation to medical schools but i doubt i can get in MD from those schools.

You only require a GRE or MCAT score to get admitted to some SMP and graduate programs. You don't need to submit both to be considered in those schools. Have you gone to the postbacc forum here in SDN? There's a lot of good info there.

You only require a GRE or MCAT score to get admitted to some SMP and graduate programs. You don't need to submit both to be considered in those schools. Have you gone to the postbacc forum here in SDN? There's a lot of good info there.
Yes i have and i have emailed a few schools to ask them if they would considering me with my stats, now waiting to hear back from them.

I don't know any MD schools that will accept you out of a PA or DO school.
Hi gyngyn,

I asked a few Medical schools if they accept PA students and they said they do and it has happened in the past that students finish their PA program and later decide to go for MD/DO.

Do you still think that an SMP/Post-bacc would be better for me than a PA?

I guess both programs have advanced science courses that if i do well it will increase my chances of getting accepted into MD/DO.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks

Hi gyngyn,

I asked a few Medical schools if they accept PA students and they said they do and it has happened in the past that students finish their PA program and later decide to go for MD/DO.

Do you still think that an SMP/Post-bacc would be better for me than a PA?

I guess both programs have advanced science courses that if i do well it will increase my chances of getting accepted into MD/DO.

I would appreciate your opinion.

Thanks
Yes, we consider practicing PA's too (though it's rare). We also consider those who have done a post bac/SMP.
We do not consider those who have just started PA (or DO) school.

Reactions: 1 user
@gyngyn @Goro I saw a few comments somewhere from @DrMidlife regarding the Post-bacc/ SMP decision. He stated that a post-bacc might look better on the records than a regular Master/SMP. From what i understood he said that as long as it is not a "real SMP" that has med classes,
it is not better than the post-bacc, since the post-bacc will be applied to the UG gpa instead if i do a regular SMP it will be applied as grad gpa

In my case i did not get accepted in any of the "real SMPs" but i got some positive emails from some regular ones and some post-bacc programs, in my state school as well. Was wondering if i should choose the Masters from a non-reputable school or just go for the post-bacc?

I would appreciate your opinions regarding this.

Thanks a lot for the information to everyone.

@gyngyn @Goro I saw a few comments somewhere from @DrMidlife regarding the Post-bacc/ SMP decision. He stated that a post-bacc might look better on the records than a regular Master/SMP. From what i understood he said that as long as it is not a "real SMP" that has med classes,
it is not better than the post-bacc, since the post-bacc will be applied to the UG gpa instead if i do a regular SMP it will be applied as grad gpa

In my case i did not get accepted in any of the "real SMPs" but i got some positive emails from some regular ones and some post-bacc programs, in my state school as well. Was wondering if i should choose the Masters from a non-reputable school or just go for the post-bacc?

I would appreciate your opinions regarding this.

Thanks a lot for the information to everyone.
A post bac (in any form) would be better than a "regular"Master's program (with regard to an MD application).

Last edited by a moderator:
@gyngyn @Goro I saw a few comments somewhere from @DrMidlife regarding the Post-bacc/ SMP decision. He.
She.
stated that a post-bacc might look better
I doubt it. I hate the term postbac. I probably said "more undergrad". The word postbac is used to mean several contradictory things such as "structured program" or "not-undergrad level work after finishing a bachelors".

Sorry, I'm postcall, not reading the rest, SDN pings me when I get mentioned. I'll assume this story starts with a crap GPA. To summarize most of my what, 8000? posts:
1. If your undergrad GPA is crap, you didn't prove what undergrad is supposed to prove
2. You have to prove you can handle undergrad before a not-crappy med school will take you seriously
3. So go get a large pile of A's in hard undergrad classes, mostly science, typically 2+ years of fulltime effort, to get in the game.
4. And understand that getting in the game isn't winning the game
5. And understand that your cumulative undergrad GPA is always going to suck
6. So look for med-school-worthy additional academic endeavors to make yourself believable as a scholar despite your crap GPA
7. A one year program hosted at a med school that exists solely to help low GPA premeds get into a med school (aka an SMP) is med-school-worthy
8. A multi-year traditional masters in a hard science with pubs is a med-school-worthy academic endeavor

9. Good luck.
10. You're not supposed to want to do this. You don't get a nice recipe printed on a yardstick to help you figure things out, like normal premeds get.
11. There are literally 1000's of programs that will offer you admission without doing anything to help you get into med school, and usually they also won't prepare you to succeed if you get in.

Meanwhile, please be a good person. People in med school and in residency who aren't good people are very disappointing.

Best of luck to you.