Re-applicant courses (HELP!)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

angiewangie7

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys! I recently applied to dental school this cycle, and am still waiting on hearing back from my state school. As a plan B, I have already been accepted to a Post-bacc program with a lot of flexibility in course selections. For background information, I've already taken biochem 2(A), Micro (A), physiology (B), biochem 1(B), analytical chem (A), pchem (A), immuno (B) as a few of my upper levels. However, I made C's in both ochems and general bios (embarrassing, I know). I took my DAT, and am planning to retake, and I scored a 19 in total science with a 21 in gen chem, 19 in ochem, and 19 in general bio. I know the general rule of thumb is to avoid retaking courses and focus more on upper levels, but in my case with my more flexible post-bacc program (in addition to more upper levels) do you recommend I retake at least the two ochem courses? My GPA is a 3.4 overall and 3.15 sciences with a strong upward trend the past 2 years of ~3.7. Thank you guys so much!!

Members don't see this ad.

No. Do not retake. Apply early next cycle if you don't get in this cycle. Take upper-level courses you haven't taken. Your grades are fine!

Reactions: 1 user
No. Do not retake. Apply early next cycle if you don't get in this cycle. Take upper-level courses you haven't taken. Your grades are fine!

Thanks for your response! I was planning on applying after I finished my 1 year post bacc. Do you think I should instead go ahead and apply this May? My fear is that my application hasn't changed much without my new grades in.

Doing a post bac is the best option. Don't bother retaking the courses. Continue to advance your career and new opportunities will come. Apply early and broadly amongst schools. Make sure your personal statement highlights how you have become a better candidate since the last time you applied.

Reactions: 1 user