Re-applicant essay

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

yuns554

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi for the re-applicants there is the question

"If you are reapplying to this program, how have you strengthened your application?" There is a 4500 character limit. Are you guys writing to that limit or are you guys falling short?

Members don't see this ad.

Mine was 3100~ characters, but I am not worried about my essay not being 4500.

Quality over quantity. Don't be verbose; be succinct.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did not write an essay on that... I basically said straight-forward what changed. Do you guys write essays? Did you get any suggestions on that from the schools where you are applying?

I did not write an essay on that... I basically said straight-forward what changed. Do you guys write essays? Did you get any suggestions on that from the schools where you are applying?

I am reapplying on PTCAS and the topic is the same as last year for me, where it says, "Describe your decision making process."

YUNS554, were you referring to reapplication on PTCAS or a school that does not go through PTCAS?

I am reapplying on PTCAS and the topic is the same as last year for me, where it says, "Describe your decision making process."

YUNS554, were you referring to reapplication on PTCAS or a school that does not go through PTCAS?

It's a question that is part of the custom questions when you designate a program on PTCAS. Sometimes if it's not on there and you are reapplying, it could be on the school's own website when you complete a secondary, if you should have to.

@Pinesfootball I was referring to reapplication essay on PTCAS in the custom questions

Because I've just mentioned how I've retaken classes and shadowed at several other clinics/settings. However, I'm falling quite short of the 4500 character limit

@Pinesfootball I was referring to reapplication essay on PTCAS in the custom questions

Because I've just mentioned how I've retaken classes and shadowed at several other clinics/settings. However, I'm falling quite short of the 4500 character limit

i'm in the same boat, and i agree with newtestament. we'd be foolish to put in a bunch of crap just to get close to the character limit.

What if this is my first time applying through PTCAS? Should I write "N/A" in the box or should I write how I have tried to strengthen my application (for the first time)? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

The re applicant essay is just getting straight to the point. I agree with new testament.

What if this is my first time applying through PTCAS? Should I write "N/A" in the box or should I write how I have tried to strengthen my application (for the first time)? Thank you in advance for your thoughts and feedback.

Hi dannibambi, I believe there is a yes or no box that you can check. I would assume you would not have to state how you strengthened your application, as it may have been addressed in your general essay.

Hi dannibambi, I believe there is a yes or no box that you can check. I would assume you would not have to state how you strengthened your application, as it may have been addressed in your general essay.

When I click the radio button for "No" I am still required to enter something in the box. Although writing "Not Applicable" is technically correct, I feel strange about doing so. I feel I should still write something, such as "Although this is my first time applying, I have strengthened my application by...", even though this is not technically the correct thing to do. :bang: Hmm...

That sure is a dilemma. I don't think it would hurt if you wrote something. But just keep in mind on how the application process works for the evaluators work. They will be reading essays on top of essays. I believe the quality of what you put into whatever you turn in is better and more convenient for the evaluator, rather than the quantity.

Good luck and the anticipation will be over soon!

Reactions: 1 user
When I click the radio button for "No" I am still required to enter something in the box. Although writing "Not Applicable" is technically correct, I feel strange about doing so. I feel I should still write something, such as "Although this is my first time applying, I have strengthened my application by...", even though this is not technically the correct thing to do. :bang: Hmm...

Although the section doesn't apply, I think it couldn't hurt to put it there. Worst case scenario, the admissions staff simply ignores the entry after 'Although this is my first time applying'... I'm a big fan of being thorough. This is my first time applying too. So what if they ignore it? If there's a chance that your attempt to offer up more personal information actually resonates-- even slightly --with someone on the staff I say go for it!

Very good points B.No and jquitt. I think it would be better to put something concise. Thank you and good luck!

I would leave it blank because you are not required to answer that question if you are not a reapplicant. Or if you HAVE to write something write Not Applicable because its better to follow what its asking than to assume you should just write something if that makes sense. And I have heard to ONLY write something there if it applies to you.