Re-Applicant Hoping to Get Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDhopeful9495

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I am a re-applicant after submitting in 2016. My previous application I did a lot of things wrong, and did not have enough clinical experience to truly be a strong applicant. My GPA has held steady at 3.6, sGPA 3.54, and my MCAT that year was a 503. I was active in leadership positions on my undergraduate campus, and volunteered as a hands on hospice volunteer at a comfort care home (150 hours). I ended up taking a gap year fellowship in South Africa working hands on in a HIV/TB clinic outside of Johannesburg. I spent 8.5 months there before returning to the states to a clinical research coordinator position at Boston Children's Hospital, where I have been for 2 years and was promoted twice (Clinical Research Coordinator 2, and Clinical Research Data Manager 1). I retook the MCAT in June 2019 and unfortunately received a 501, so chose to defer until this cycle. After re-taking the MCAT again I received a 506, and am hoping with this somewhat average GPA and MCAT score plus my ECs I will finally be a decent candidate for medical school.

I submitted on 6/17 after triple checking absolutely everything on my application, and sent to the following schools
Albany
Drexel
GW
NYU
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
NY Medical
Tufts
BU
Quinnipiac
UCONN
Michigan State
Penn State
UVM
Florida State
Rowan SOM
PCOM
Touro COM
NYITCOM

If anyone has any school they think I should add, please let me know and encouragement would be greatly appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

MD is still going to be an uphill battle. You should add a LOT more DO schools.

For MD:
-SUNY is a donation unless you're from NY
-Add Georgetown and Tulane. These are in the same tier as Drexel and GW.

LECOM has THREE campuses and no secondaries. Add them all.
Arizona COM
University of New England COM

Really, look for a reason to rule out a DO, not rule it in, I do not think you are in a position to be picky if you want to be a doctor at the moment. Apply anywhere you can.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not bother with the secondaries for Florida State (only 4 non residents admitted last year), SUNY Upstate, SUNY Downstate, Michigan State as they accept very few non residents with your stats and no connection to the state. NYU and BU are unrealistic far reaches. You could add these MD schools:
Temple
Jefferson
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Medical College Wisconsin
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
You should add more DO schools and consider all these:
UNECOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
DMU-COM