re-applicant hurt chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FT8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does it hurt to be a re-applicant (incase I get rejected this year)?

This is my first time applying. I'm planning to submit my application this week, but since its late in the cycle I know my chances wont be as high.

Also will be applying to less than 5 schools this cycle based on my degree completion (in august).

Stats:

3.77 GPA / 3.66 sGPA / 3.35 BCP GPA (upward trend)
21AA, 22TS, 19PAT
-100s of assisting/shadowing hours
-employment & business owner
-2 dental research poster presentations & other research

Members don't see this ad.

I think some schools prefer reapplicants because it shows your commitment to the school. But make sure you can write what you improved from the previous year as I have seen some schools ask questions about that. Really depends on the school, but there are no "disadvantages" really.

I don't think being a re-applicant will hurt you at all, just make sure that your gap year is used productively so you have something to talk about when asked what you did during your year of re-applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a reason you're applying to less than 5 schools? I think your stats are pretty good and if you apply more broadly you'll have a good shot at getting some interviews.

Reactions: 1 user
You're asking to be a reapplicant with only 5 schools. Idc if you have a 4.0 and a 26, applying to only 5 schools is insanely dangerous. At least 10+ even with good stats tbh :oops:

I don't know about 10+ @LuckBloodandSweat but 5 is always dangerous. I think you should apply to at least 8-10. Your chances should not be bad as a reapplicant you look like you are invested in dentistry imo.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

reapplying can make things tricky, I have a friend who applied to a texas a&m with a 3.85 GPA 3.75 SCI, 19 DAT and didnt get in. In his gap year he worked and lived at home to save up some money for school. When he reapplied, Texas A&M told him he wasn't getting in because he didn't take any courses in his gap year.

Round 3 he ended up having to quit his job and reenroll reenrolled in 12 hours in the fall semester and was enrolled in hours in the spring semester... a whole year of his life and tens of thousands of dollars down gone all because they wouldn't even give him a shot without taking more courses.

Is there a reason you're applying to less than 5 schools? I think your stats are pretty good and if you apply more broadly you'll have a good shot at getting some interviews.

Weird situation because I graduate in August and many schools that I've messaged want their pre-reqs & degree completed by July.

From my understanding it almost helps being a re-applicant atleast to your state school. As long as you have improved your application from year to year

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

reapplying can make things tricky, I have a friend who applied to a texas a&m with a 3.85 GPA 3.75 SCI, 19 DAT and didnt get in. In his gap year he worked and lived at home to save up some money for school. When he reapplied, Texas A&M told him he wasn't getting in because he didn't take any courses in his gap year.

Round 3 he ended up having to quit his job and reenroll reenrolled in 12 hours in the fall semester and was enrolled in hours in the spring semester... a whole year of his life and tens of thousands of dollars down gone all because they wouldn't even give him a shot without taking more courses.

This was my experience with Baylor when I spoke to them as well - they really don't like seeing gaps in time when it comes to taking coursework, and that includes gap years. Fortunately I think this is mostly specific to Texas schools.

This was my experience with Baylor when I spoke to them as well - they really don't like seeing gaps in time when it comes to taking coursework, and that includes gap years. Fortunately I think this is mostly specific to Texas schools.

I was ahead in my degree so I took two semesters off to focus on growing my business - do you think that can be frowned upon? just wondering.

I was ahead in my degree so I took two semesters off to focus on growing my business - do you think that can be frowned upon? just wondering.

Not at most schools, but most likely at Baylor - they seem allergic to recent time off of coursework.

think feralis hit it on point, if youre applying to Texas schools gaps are not acceptable, anywhere else, its probably alright as long as you are filling your time with something productive.

to counter this, that same friend i was describing was accepted in December, as soon as he was accepted, he asked the adcoms at A&M if he could drop his spring semester courses, he said financially it didn't make sense for him to keep taking courses once he was accepted, and the adcoms at A&M told him he would be able to drop the courses and still be accepted.

It's kind of ridiculous, but nothing anyone can do about it, applicants can't set the standards, we just have to follow them