Medical Re-applicant, no interviews. Did a late CASPER destroy me?

Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an MD re-applicant who completed secondaries in July/very early August and had three interviews last cycle (UVM, Albany and Rosalind Franklin). This cycle, I dragged my feet and most of my secondaries were completed in late July-late August. Unfortunately, I also completely forgot about CASPER until August so schools only got that on September 5th. I have not had any interview invites yet for MD schools, including the 3 that invited me last cycle. How worried should I be?

Let's not get carried away with "destroy". I don't know which of the three schools you previously interviewed at used CASPeR, but have you checked in with them at least? Last cycle, did all three waitlist you? What feedback did you get from them for a reapp?
 
All three of them did and not yet. I was told in my first cycle that writing to AdComs is a bad idea and every rejection letter featured a "do not contact us with how to improve your application" line. I also have no idea how to word emails to AdComs.

(redacted... reread what you wrote... the three schools did interview you after CASPeR last year). So all three schools rejected you after interview, or were you waitlisted?
 
Those schools interviewed then rejected me last cycle (zero interview skills). I have not heard anything from them yet this cycle. I was marked complete at Albany and UVM on September 5th and Rosalind was complete September 23rd.

So admissions staff (not the committees themselves) told you you had "zero" interview skills, or is this your assessment? If that was the feedback you got from them, then they probably won't interview you again, especially if it's rejection after interview. (So if that is true, your lateness in CASPeR wasn't likely the issue.)
 
It is my assessment but it is drawn from my not having answers to some of their questions and being very opinionated on others. I hadn't prepared adequately for my first round of interviews believing I had the skills already, which I now greatly regret. Is a rejection after an interview worse than a rejection without the interview for re-applicants?
Yes.

Casper is not your issue. Interview skills are
 
Status
Not open for further replies.