Re-applicant or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shadoctor

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If someone submits their primary application through AMCAS to a bunch of schools and then ends up never turning in the secondaries or sending letters of rec, etc. Do those schools consider that person a reapplicant or not?

A friend of mine applied really late in the cycle and it took him forever (like 5 weeks) to get verified. He ended up changing his mind and never sent back any secondaries. Most of the schools he contacted were already giving out acceptances by the time he was RECEIVING his secondaries.

Does anyone know?

Also does it look bad that he applied twice or does it not make a difference?

Members don't see this ad.

Yep...same thing happened to me.
Your friend is what we like to call a "re-applicant". As soon as the primary is submitted and reviewed by amcas, you are officially in that cycle. The application will be counted as a reapplication if he/she chooses to apply again.
Some school will ask if he applied to their schools before, the schools that he listed the first time around will have to be checked as a reapplicants, the others will be checked as a first time applicant but his primary will still be labeled as a reapplicant.

Re-application isn't as bad as it seems. Especially if its just because of timing or self-induced. School will want to find out, but if the application is strong regardless, then no harm, no foul. If the application does have a weak point, now might be a good thing to try to pad/fix the weakness.

I agree. "Your friend" has already sent their info to schools, and the schools responded. If you friend had canceled their AMCAS before being verified, I doubt anyone would know the difference.