Re-applicant question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eyewantoph

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings, I hope you are all having a good week.

I have a question for you guys. I unfortunately did not match last year and now I am going to try again. I understand that applying to all programs as a re-applicant gives me the best chances, but it is impossible for me to do this due to financial limitations.

With the utmost respect to all programs, which programs are mid to low tier ophthalmology programs that re-applicants have the best chance to match in? I am looking for a list of programs where re-applicants have the best chance of receiving interviews/acceptance to and which programs to avoid applying to.

I appreciate your help and assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

You're going to have an incredibly difficult time getting people to "name names." What I can tell you from my experience is that unless you go (went) to a top school or school with a top program, the process is very geographically biased. I had above average stats and all but 3 of my interviews were in my region (and I was intending to leave my region, which was frustrating, though I did match at one of those 3). I would look first to eliminate top programs that are well out of region for you, i.e. UCSF or Jules Stein/UCLA are not going to interview anyone from the Southeast unless they have remarkable stats or come from a top program (or likely both). I looked at distant programs more favorably that had residents from out of the area (based on their online profiles). Still, I would try to find any way to add as many programs as possible. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user