Re-applicant Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cavalier95

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I had a couple of questions about reapplying. First, a little about me:
I took the MCAT 3x: 500 --> 502 --> 510.. I am asian and a Va resident. This past cycle, I applied and only interviewed at EVMS. I'm currently waitlisted there in the top-third, but I am preparing for the next cycle.

My activities and hours up until when I submit the primary will roughly be:
Old - PT Volunteer (30 Hours)
Old - Tutoring Service at college (60 hours)
Old Teaching Assistant for Intro Bio for 3 years
Old Rewarded a research award for $3000
Old I was a camp counselor and then director was a 6-week camp every summer in college

*All the activities labeled new are one that I started after graduating from college, last May and did not have them in the primary application last cycle.

Shadowing (140 hours, 80 of these are new)
New - Special Olympics Coach (100 hours)
New - Volunteer at Free Clinic (70 hours)
New - Volunteer w/ Hospice care (80 hours)
New - Counselor at camp for autistic kids (160 hours, but this will be in an update, because I will be doing it in June)
Extensive Research Experience, presented original work at national conferences, a 2nd-author paper and currently writing a 1st author paper (which if submitted will be in an update hopefully)

So my questions are:
1) Do you guys think I should be applying this next cycle? Have I improved my application enough, or do you spot any more weaknesses that I can address for the next two months?
2) If I do apply this upcoming cycle, I will have 2 new LORs. However, because I graduated last year, I will have year old LORs from science professors. Should I contact them and ask them to alter their letter based on my new experiences, or will the new LORs be fine?

Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

My cGPA is 3.56 and sGPA is 3.59.
I applied to:
EVMS
Penn State
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin
Toledo
Wake Forest
Geisinger
Arizona - Tucson
Arizona - Phoenix
Albany
Central Michigan
GW
Georgetown
Loyola
MCW
Michigan State
Oakland
VCU
Virginia Tech
Wayne State

How do you think I should change my school list based on the new MSAR? Also, any suggestions on the LORs? Thank you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
It is not just having good EC's. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You should include at least 6 DO schools in your application and you have VCOM, CUSOM and WVSOM in your region. For MD schools I suggest these:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
California University (new school)
Kaiser and Roseman if they open for 2019

Reactions: 1 user
It is not just having good EC's. The GPA-MCAT grid shows you have only have a 50% chance for a MD acceptance with your stats. You should include at least 6 DO schools in your application and you have VCOM, CUSOM and WVSOM in your region. For MD schools I suggest these:
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
Virginia Tech
West Virginia
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
GW
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
Creighton
California University (new school)
Kaiser and Roseman if they open for 2019

I agree with Faha's list, except for CalU MD. I suspect that the competition from very talented Californians will be heated.

IF you are from the rural western part of VA, consider Marshall as well.

Also add Creighton, Loyola, Albany, Netter

Reactions: 1 users