Re-applicant -- retake MCAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dro133

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, here's my situation: I'm a first time re-applicant (shooting for MD) after getting zero interviews last cycle, and I'm starting an SMP in the fall with decent linkage to its home program. I'm sitting on an MCAT of 33, but it's from 2013, so this is the last year most schools will accept it. My SMP classes start in mid-August and go for 11 months, so if I don't get in anywhere this cycle, I wouldn't be able to begin studying for the new MCAT until ~July of next year; this would kill my chances for an early application for next year's cycle. Alternatively, I could begin studying for the new MCAT right this second and take it before SMP classes start in August. My concerns are, 1) ~2.5 months might not be sufficient time to study, and 2) scoring lower than 33 won't do me any favors for my chances this upcoming cycle.

Other parts of my application:

cGPA/sGPA: 3.2/3.2 (upward trend)
gGPA: 4.0
Clinical volunteering: 200 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours
Shadowing: 50 hours
Research: 2000+ hours (1 mid-author pub expected this fall, 2 poster presentations)
Much improved rec letters compared to last cycle (expecting 5-6 total)

So, what would you guys do?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I wouldn't risk rushing it and getting a lower score before this next cycle. I wouldn't worry about retaking until its really about to expire.

This is a really tough call. Normally, I wouldn't worry about re-taking the MCAT until it absolutely has expired. But as I'll say below your situation is more complicated.

Now, the bigger thing here is that if you did not get ANY interviews last cycle, unless you have done something really meaningful in the past year the odds aren't the greatest of all of a sudden not only suddenly getting interviews this time around but actually getting accepted. So I know you are asking about next cycle, but I think there is legitimate reason to seriously consider not applying this cycle even though your MCAT expiration date complicates things.

While a publication is definitely something significant, is that what would trigger someone to go from not even getting interviews to getting interviews and getting accepted from them? Ehhh there's someone on here that can answer this better than me but I would be a bit skeptical it would. At the very least it is a big financial gamble to take that one publication could shift the outlook of your applications. Also as you probably know SMPS start after many of your applications are in so if you do well in the SMP it won't really help you this cycle.

This question is probably better directed at the MCAT forum as well. What I can say here is ask yourself how long you did you study for the old MCAT because that is a good score? You can go on the MCAT forum and you'll probably find someone in your same spot of having to study for the new MCAT after doing well on the old one but having the old one expiring and see what they thought and what their approach was. You can also get a better idea of the differences between the old and new MCAT than any 2 sentence summary I'll give you.

Long story short, I think in your situation it makes sense to take this new MCAT because the odds of you getting in this cycle as I described above probably aren't the greatest if you got completely shut out of interviews this past cycle. If you have taken a biochem class in relatively recent time, and you did well on the old Bio and Verbal, it definitely is possible to do well on this new MCAT in 2.5 months preparation. But that is something nobody on here can give you a precise answer on; the closest you can find is by reflecting on how you prepared for the old one and by asking this in the MCAT forum and researching what is on that forum. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's important to also ask is your gGPA a post bac GPA or just some masters GPA(I'm guessing it wasnt a post-bac)? The post bac will help and be factored into your overall GPA calculations; a masters GPA is largely irrelevant. I'll also preface this by saying if you are giving consideration to the DO route you can go ahead and apply with your current application; a 3.2/33 should net you something there.

Where did you apply last cycle? This is important; a top heavy list would make me believe it might not be a bad idea to reapply with a good MD/DO mix to a more appropriate list. However, a solid list without any interviews at all means your application just isn't good enough. What was your MCAT breakdown----33 is all well and good but if there is a 7-8 on the verbal that's a good indicator of part of why you had problems with admission?

Usually I tend to be a bit against SMPs unless someone really has no other choice at all to improve their GPA(ie a 2.8). It is a last resort option, a MAJOR risk, and something that can destroy any med school hopes you have if you don't perform very well. You aren't quite there but if you are set on the MD route and it turns out you applied to a reasonable list last time around and don't have any issues with any section of that 33 MCAT, an SMP isn't a bad idea. Because if that's the case and you still don't have interviews, like I said that means your application just isn't good enough and I don't think piling on EC's, even if they are good beneficial things like publications and clinical jobs, will make that difference. You already have a graduate school GPA and I'm guessing you've been out of college for a little while; if you want to make a difference in your application fast an SMP is a solid bet. And if you do well in an SMP and got a 33 the first time, you are more than capable of doing well on the MCAT again and the SMP should help you in taking it again. But it is a risk and while the upward GPA trend and 33 MCAT makes me think you definitely have a chance to do well in an SMP if you put everything you have into it, there far from any guarantees with it and you have to accept the risks and have alternate plans ready if you don't get the GPA you are looking for in an SMP because that's going all-in.

Thank you gonnif, and especially GrapesofRath for your detailed replies. Please let me elaborate a little bit about myself.

My graduate GPA was actually from a terminal research-based Masters program. It also included medically-related classes such as histology, pathology, cell biology, and human gross anatomy; all of the classes except for human gross anatomy were on my transcript when I applied last year. GrapesofRath, I agree with you that it didn't have much of an effect on the adcoms' decision making; if it did, I think a 4.0 may have netted me at least some interview love at my state school, but alas I had no such luck. My MCAT is pretty well-balanced (11PS, 10VB, 12BS), so that isn't a problem.

There were, however, other problems with my application last year. First of all, my recommendation letters were few (3), and they were in very late, which caused me to not be complete until some time in September. A late application is a problem for people with great stats, but for someone with stats like mine, it's the kiss of death. Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing if I would have had more luck had I been complete, say, mid-July -- there's just no way to know other than pure conjecture. Personally, I would guess that my results wouldn't have been very different.

I graduated in 2013, so I am 2 years out of undergrad. I graduated with my Masters last winter and have been working in the health division of a large tech company since then. I think I've resigned myself to the fact that this process will take another 2 years, whether or not I do an SMP. Something I have been thinking about lately, however, is the possibility of doing a DIY post-bac instead of a formal SMP. I calculated that 30 credits of straight A's in post-bac classes would bring my cGPA and sGPA to just above 3.4 each. I could take the classes at my local 4-year university back home, so I could live with my parents rent-free and pay a total of ~$12,000, compared to the ~50K SMP cost. Plus, this would allow me extra time to study for the MCAT this summer since I wouldn't have to worry about moving to a new city and all the headache that comes along with that. On the other hand, I think that stellar performance in an SMP with strong linkage might give me a better chance of getting into med school. However, like I described in the OP, the SMP plan makes for an uncertain MCAT study timeline. I don't know...what are your thoughts?