Re-applicant School List/Did I do enough

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ajk97

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I applied in the 2019-2020 cycle resulting in one II that turned into one WL and then R. I'm planning on re-applying for the 2021-2022 cycle with a new and improved application and want to know what everyone's opinion on my school list and chances are.

Here's my previous application:

1. cGPA (AMCAS): 3.74, sGPA (AMCAS): 3.80, cGPA (TMDSAS): 3.80, sGPA (TMDSAS): 3.86
2. MCAT Overall: 516 (130, 127, 129, 130)
3. Illinois Resident
4. ORM
5. Jesuit School
6. 300 Hours Volunteer at surgical care center of hospital, 120 Hours CNA Work
7. No research.
8. 8 Hours shadowing Pathologist, 8 Hours shadowing general surgery
9. 60 Hours volunteering coaching a youth soccer team for the park district
10. 80 Hours Captaining two intramural soccer teams (men's and coed), 245 Hours in the Music Program through my Music minor (Jazz Band), 360 Hours as a retail sales associate at Kohl's, 24 Hours Tutoring SAT and ACT math to high school students, 100 Hours performing lawn and yard maintenance self employed.
11. Dean's List every semester except for first semester freshman year (Semester GPA above 3.5), Scholarship from my suburb, 315 Hours of Classwork in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program
12. Biology Major and Music Minor; looking to attend Medical School promptly after I finish undergrad; Personal Statement and essays discuss my service to others through volunteering and CNA work and how direct patient care has impacted my vocation.
13. Schools currently: Texas A&M (R), Texas Tech Lubbock (R), UTSW (R), Baylor (R), Rosalind Franklin (R), Creighton (R), Drexel (Hold), Indiana (R), Temple (R), Loyola (R), Medical College of Wisconsin (R), Northwestern (R), Oakland (R), Rush (R), Thomas Jefferson (R), Southern Illinois (R), UIC (R), Louisville (R), University of Michigan (R), University of Wisconsin (R), SLU (II, WL), Western Michigan (R)

During the application year I added: 37 Credits at 3.95, 100 hours of undergrad research, 25 more hospital volunteering hours, 80 more hours at Kohl's.

Now, during my gap years, I have been working and volunteering to fill the obvious gaps in my application. When I re-apply this cycle, my app will be the following:

1. cGPA (AMCAS): 3.80, sGPA (AMCAS): 3.84; GPA trend (3.4, 3.8, 3.9, 3.95)
2. MCAT Overall: 516 (130, 127, 129, 130)
3. Illinois Resident
4. ORM
5. Jesuit School
6. 300 Hours Volunteer at surgical care center of hospital, 120 Hours CNA Work, 3000 hours of internal medicine PCP scribing. (1500 hours by application, 3000 total projected).
7. 100 hours of undergraduate research (No pubs).
8. 8 Hours shadowing Pathologist, 8 Hours shadowing general surgery, Internal medicine PCP 100 hours
9. 60 Hours volunteering coaching a youth soccer team for the park district, 300 hours volunteering at local food pantry for underserved community for the past year. (150hours by application, 300 hours projected)
10. 100 Hours Captaining two intramural soccer teams (men's and coed), 245 Hours in the Music Program through my Music minor (Jazz Band), 420 Hours as a retail sales associate at Kohl's, 24 Hours Tutoring SAT and ACT math to high school students, 100 Hours performing lawn and yard maintenance self employed.
11. Dean's List every semester except for first semester freshman year (Semester GPA above 3.5), Scholarship from my suburb, 315 Hours of Classwork in the Interdisciplinary Honors Program

My tentative school list is as follows:

MD:
University of Illinois
Loyola University Chicago
Rush Medical College
Northwestern University Feinberg
Rosalind Franklin
SLU
MCW
Wisconsin Madison
Indiana
Iowa
Creighton
Drexel
Thomas Jefferson
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Wayne State
University of Colorado (Significant other spent most of her life there and would like to return)
Pittsburgh
Rochester
Mayo (MN)
Emory
Cincinnati
USF Morsani
Miami Miller
Hofstra/Northwell
Boston University
Duke

DO:
Midwestern (IL)
Des Moines COM
KC COM
LECOM
PCOM

Thank you in advance! @Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

You could add these MD schools:
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you Faha! Do you think it's worth it to apply to Mayo, Duke, or Northwestern? If not I'd probably rather just add a few of your schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
They are all reaches so concentrate on the schools I suggested.
Perfect thank you! Are there any other schools on my list that would be too much of a reach? I wanna make sure my list is as good as possible.

Northwestern and any TX schools would be a donation.
Add MUCOM, KCOM, to the list

Rewrite all essays and have multiple eyeballs vet them,
Thank you so much Goro! Definitely avoiding the Texas schools this time.

Hi OP. I just wanted to check in on you and see how your cycle is going. Fellow Illinois applicant here :)

Hi OP. I just wanted to check in on you and see how your cycle is going. Fellow Illinois applicant here :)
I am applying for the 2021-2022 cycle, so I have not submitted anything yet. Right now, I am in the process of re-writing all my essays.