• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Funniest Story on the Job Contest Starts Now!

Contest starts now and ends September 27th. Winner will receive a special user banner and $10 Amazon Gift card!

JOIN NOW
  • Site Updates Coming Next Week

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Re-Applicant Seeking Advice

premedstudent5110

2+ Year Member
Aug 1, 2019
  1. Pre-Medical
Hello everyone,

First I would like to thank you all in advance for taking the time to read through my post. About me, I am ORM from CA, UCLA graduate (gpa: 3.85, sgpa: 3.89) in 2019. My first MCAT score was 510 (129/125/128/128), I retook the MCAT hoping to raise it into the 90 percentile and raise my CARS, but lowered 2 points (130/127/126/125). I applied to around 40 MD schools, broadly, this year, no DO, and did not receive any II. I am now planning to re-apply for the next next cycle, for a seat in the class of 2026. I have a lot of family in TX and frequently visit and have thought about establishing residency in TX and applying to schools out there.

My extracurriculars before my gap year:
Clinical:
- 40 hours - clinic trips in Mexico
- 50 hours - performed EKGs for high school student athletes for at risk individuals for sudden cardiac arrest
Shadowing:
- 60 hours - shadowing an internal medicine physician at his practice and at his medical insurance business
Research
- 500 hours - public health research concerning smoking in Korean Youth in Los Angeles (no publications or posters)
Other
- 35 hours - primary school mentor
- 150 hours - CEO of a small business selling collectibles/clothing apparel
- 400 hours - UCLA Women's Basketball practice player

During my gap year
- 600 hours - emergency medicine scribe
- 100 hours - continuing research (presented 2 posters at UCLA research day and currently working on a paper)
- 120 hours - youth basketball coach
- 30 hours - shadowing a vascular surgeon
- 20 hours - virtual volunteer tutor during coronavirus

Any suggestions regarding what in my application needs to improve would be great help. Also insight into moving to TX, I have greatly considered this as I genuinely enjoy TX and have thought in the past of moving when I am older. If I were to stay in CA I would retake my MCAT as it is expired and hopefully get it to 513+, volunteer with the homeless community in Los Angeles, and get a leadership position at my work. In TX I would have a similar plan, but maybe finding clinical research instead of scribing. I also plan to apply to DO schools next time I apply.

Thank you again!

About the Ads

MedSchoolTutors

Top MCAT/USMLE/COMLEX Tutors Answer Your Questions
Vendor
2+ Year Member
Apr 25, 2019
www.medschooltutors.com
  1. Medical Student
  2. Resident [Any Field]
  3. Attending Physician
It's really hard to say how you can improve. Retaking your MCAT and seeing a score drop is a huge red flag to adcoms. If you retake your MCAT, a 513 won't save you- you want something like a 517+. Right now, two scores of a 508/510 is telling medical schools that this score is the best you can do. A 513 is more likely to be seen as statistical luck than a genuine improvement. The rest of your application honestly looks fine, but yes, I would definitely apply to DO schools.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Osteosaur

I eat the whole patient
2+ Year Member
Sep 9, 2018
  1. Medical Student
It sounds like you're doing all you can. California is just a really rough state, and MCAT scores are getting higher and higher. 510 used to be safe and now its 513.

You gave yourself a shot at MD, and you had a good shot. Best thing you can do for insurance is try DO on take 2. Be sure to get a letter and check your boxes off for it. I regret not doing DO on my second try, I had to do it on my third.

Be sure to rewrite everything. I got dinged for keeping part of my PS the same. If it didn't work once it won't work again. Get some new eyes on your app.

Last edited:
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.