Re-applicants for Fall 2009

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DenaDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

My undergrad science GPA was low (2.54) so four years later I did a post-bacc and got a 3.55. When I took the MCAT in 04, I got at 27(VS-8, PS-9, BS-10, WS-Q). I have four publications and over three years of volunteer experience. However, when I applied for the entering '07 class, I got waitlisted at two schools.

Now, nearly six years after undergrad with a new MCAT 33(VS-10, PS-11, BS-12, WS-R). I am also doing a Master's in Molecular and Cell Biology and my first semester GPA is 3.43. I'm kind of concerned that this will kill my application. I do have one more semester to raise my grades before I apply, but if any of you (particularly those who have gone through the same and been accepted) have any advice or feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

DenaDoc

Members don't see this ad.

What is your total undergraduate GPA now with both your first four years and your postbac?

Members don't see this ad :)
You won't get in anywhere with that gpa.

Hey,

My undergrad science GPA was low (2.54) so four years later I did a post-bacc and got a 3.55. When I took the MCAT in 04, I got at 27(VS-8, PS-9, BS-10, WS-Q). I have four publications and over three years of volunteer experience. However, when I applied for the entering '07 class, I got waitlisted at two schools.

Now, nearly six years after undergrad with a new MCAT 33(VS-10, PS-11, BS-12, WS-R). I am also doing a Master's in Molecular and Cell Biology and my first semester GPA is 3.43. I'm kind of concerned that this will kill my application. I do have one more semester to raise my grades before I apply, but if any of you (particularly those who have gone through the same and been accepted) have any advice or feedback, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

DenaDoc

The first thing that you need to realize is that you must complete your graduate degree before matriculating into medical school. At the time of your application, be sure that you obtain a letter of rec from your graduate adviser that specifically states that you will complete your degree.

The next thing you need to do is apply broadly meaning allopathic and osteopathic schools, your state schools and some private schools were you are competitive based on your uGPA/MCAT scores. While your graduate degree is not going to hurt you, do remember that graduate grades are expected to be very high and most graduate students have publications.

The other thing to realize is that the entire application is quite important. Don't neglect anything that is within your control such as LORs, PS and extracurricular activities (research is not an EC for you). Be sure that you have some good experiences and that you write clearly about them.

Meet and exceed every deadline (especially financial aid) and you should be able to greatly enhance you chances of acceptance. Good luck!

Hey,

Thanks,

DenaDoc

apply broadly....MD/DO sch. or consider Caribbean school if you want the MD title. OR Do well with ur master degree...you have an excellent MCAT score as far as i'm concern. Good luck.