Re-applying for same program and POI

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wootar

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am in the process of e-mailing potential POIs right now. I applied last year as well, with little success. There are a couple of programs I am interested in applying for again this year, potentially with the same POI. When I e-mail them, should I mention that I had applied the year before? Should I leave it out, and assume they won't remember me?

Members don't see this ad.

If you didn't interview with them, I'd leave it out. It's not actually all that relevant, and they're unlikely to remember one name out of the dozens that crossed their desk last year.

Reactions: 1 user
+2 on not including that in the email

Doesn't make sense to let them know that info. I can also tell you from personal experience when reapplying to the same programs, I would only indicate I previously applied with individuals I interviewed with AND if I could indicate to them why this time around my application/CV was significantly BETTER than last time. In other words, "I interviewed with you (or Dr. X) last year and although I wasn't accepted I made an effort to address X, Y & Z which were things they indicated were potential areas for growth."

That I would say in person. In an email to a POI that I had actually met and interviewed with, I might say something like "It was great meeting you last year and I hope you'll find interesting some of the new opportunities/experiences I've had with X, Y & Z." but just broad areas like "research, therapeutic intervention, assessment experience, etc." and let them dig through your CV if it intrigues them enough and they remember you.

Reactions: 1 users