Re-applying to MSTP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surge

Medicinski Znanstvenik
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Have you ever heard of anybody that applied, didn't get in, then took a year off, did research, re-took the MCAT and....?
Any (written/unwritten) rules to this?

Just curiosity :) (at least for now :)

Thanks,

Serge

Members don't see this ad.

Same as regular MD.

i guess i am technically reapplying.
mine is an oft told story, but I'll tell it again:
I applied to 4 MD/PHD programs: Harvard, Penn, Washu, JHU.
Got an interview at Penn, and an MD interview at WashU - which I turned down. Didnt hear squat from Harvard or JHU.
(The reason I didnt apply to more was because I just wanted to take some time off ... far away from medicine)
Ultimately the decision was a good one because now I understand myself - what motivates me, what interests me a lot more.
We'll see what happens with me - I'll definately keep the board informed. That being said - I'm only apply to UCSD's and Columbiia's MD/PhD programs. To be honest I'm just nervous because the calibre of candidates for these programs is VERY high. Now, I consider myself a pretty strong applicant - but a lot, and it seemed like everyone there was probably stronger. Believe me, it takes a lot for me to admit this.
Right now my plan is to try getting into an MD/PhD program while already in medschool. I think it boils down to two things:
1) a lack of confidence on my part, and a certain degree of risk aversion
2) the schools I want to do an MD/PhD at, due to the nature of what I'd like to do my PhD in, are very competitive - e.g. Harvard & UCSF.
By the way, a number of people I met at Penn had taken a year off to work - but I'd say this: GET PUBLISHED!!!
I think that is a HUGE advantage. And a year is probably all you'd want to take off too - its easy to get too old for an MD/PhD if you think about how long it usually takes. Also your MCATs better be SOLID.

Members don't see this ad :)
interesting story darkchild. i think if anything MD/PhD programs are less fickle in the admissions process than MD programs.

What if I were to reapply to the SAME program that rejected me? I'm sure it wouldn't help me, but would it necessarily mean there's no way they would look at my application?
(in all honesty, I should call MD/PhD people and ask, but it's one of those types of questions I just don't won't associated with myself when I come back in 2 months for an interview) :)

I think I'm a really strong candidate, but I'm being realistic - plus, I guess no matter how good one is, you can always be better.... I would rather not take the year off (I'm not going to), but if that turns out to be a bad call, I want to know if I can get a second chance....

Serge

You might be asked in the essays or interview to explain why you are a better applicant now, but I think that will only give you an opportunity to emphasize the improvements to your application.

BTW, I noticed you are from Iowa. Are you going to apply to UIowa MSTP? I was very impressed with the program...almost went there.

Good luck,

Adam

:D

I go to school in Iowa, but I'm not from Iowa....;)

Even though you're right about UIowa being a good med school, my goal is to get out of Iowa.... I'm just not a Midwest kind of person :)

BTW, where did you end up going?

Serge