Re-applying to schools after being on their final waitlists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Richard8794

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I re-apply to the schools that placed me on their final waitlists, would it improve my chance of being accepted second time around?

I am still on the final waitlists for vanderbilt and mayo...(on baylor waitlist as well but they place everyone who didn't get offered initial acceptances on its waitlist...so i don't consider it significant)

Currently I am preparing to reapply. I honestly think my MCAT score was the weakness in my application...(very unbalanced 33) and trying to retake it this summer.

Consider I improve my mcat score, would it put me in better situation for those schools or would I have to start all over again??

Members don't see this ad.

Are you asking if you'll be guaranteed at least an interview if you reapply to Vanderbilt and the Mayo? No, unfortunately not.

Will retaking the MCAT and improving upon your old score give you a better chance when you reapply? Yes, most likely, all else being equal (you still apply early and widely).

As a reapplicant, it behooves you to improve your app as much as possible for the second time 'round.

Best of luck.

Edit: just read one of your earlier threads. If you're going to retake the MCAT, you'd better make darn sure you improve on that score - which is VERY hard to do, IMHO. Much greater risk of going down than up. My $0.02.

If I re-apply to the schools that placed me on their final waitlists, would it improve my chance of being accepted second time around?

I am still on the final waitlists for vanderbilt and mayo...(on baylor waitlist as well but they place everyone who didn't get offered initial acceptances on its waitlist...so i don't consider it significant)

Currently I am preparing to reapply. I honestly think my MCAT score was the weakness in my application...(very unbalanced 33) and trying to retake it this summer.

Consider I improve my mcat score, would it put me in better situation for those schools or would I have to start all over again??

There are no guarantees that you will make it to the interview stage the next go around, especially if there aren't any improvements in your application-- fix the mcat score and I think your chances of making it to their acceptance list. Btw, how did you manage to get interviews at schools like Vandy, Mayo, and Baylor and not get any acceptances?

Members don't see this ad :)

If you got waitlisted at Vanderbilt, Mayo, and Baylor, you're a competitive applicant. Perhaps next time around apply to some less competitive schools to significantly increase your chances of gaining an acceptance. BTW, a 33 is a pretty damn good score (85th-90th percentile), so unless your breakdown is horrible (i.e 14 14 5), I'd run with it (especially since the application cycle for 09 has already gotten underway). Best of luck.

just wanted to echo what a couple of people above stated. the first time i applied, i was waitlisted at 4 schools at the end of that summer.

during the reapp. process, i was only offered interviews at 2 of those...so no guarantees whatsoever b/c the applicant pool is vastly different. BUT...i'd imagine you've built some network/contacts/rapport at those schools that you could use to your advantage.