Re-learning gen chem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

frever

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I will be taking the MCAT this August and have not studied gen chem since Junior year of high school. I've looked through some old stuff and realized that I've essentially forgotten everything. I'll be taking an in-class TPR course but I anticipate that gen chem will be my weak spot so I was hoping to pick up another gen chem book just to solidify my understanding. Am I worrying too much? If not, could you guys recommend which ones might be best for someone who is re-learning rather than simply reviewing?

Thanks a bunch!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If money isn't too big of a problem, would you recommend buying the entire set? I've seen some pretty powerful testimonies about TBR on SDN but I've never met anyone in real life who's used it. And just to confirm, is their website the one that's all brown and looks like it's from the 90's? It's kind of sketchy :\

yes their website is super sketchy, lol. Ill put it this way i started out at a 20, used ek and went to like 24-25 on practice range, used tbr and went to 29-32 range on my practice scores. I thought TBR gen chem was amazing, my fav book of theirs.

if you can afford the whole set, def go for it. The testimonies arent fake. It really is that good.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, I will be taking the MCAT this August and have not studied gen chem since Junior year of high school. I've looked through some old stuff and realized that I've essentially forgotten everything. I'll be taking an in-class TPR course but I anticipate that gen chem will be my weak spot so I was hoping to pick up another gen chem book just to solidify my understanding. Am I worrying too much? If not, could you guys recommend which ones might be best for someone who is re-learning rather than simply reviewing?

Thanks a bunch!

You didn't take Chemistry since junior year of high school? Are you planning on taking it during college? It's kind of a requirement to apply to med school....isn't it?

AP credit :\ there wasn't enough room to fit a year of gen chem into my engineering degree plan

Mini bump, second opinion anyone? Do you guys think TBR is the best publisher for someone who will be essentially re-learning all of gen chem?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

Ok that makes sense.

And yes, I agree with everyone else about TBR. My weakest subject is Gen Chem and I took that 4 years ago so I essentially have to relearn the material. I own The Princeton Review Hyperlearning (from the course) and while it was easy to read and pretty detailed, it does not compare to TBR. It explains very well and of course their passages for practice are incomparable. Just get it!

Mini bump, second opinion anyone? Do you guys think TBR is the best publisher for someone who will be essentially re-learning all of gen chem?

Thanks for the feedback so far!

IMO TBR has the best MCAT prep material. They also go into more detail than most of the other stuff out there so considering you are really rusty in gen chem, I'd say TBR all the way. Also, their website is sketchy as hell but they are legit. Just takes awhile to get your stuff. I sent them a check and it probably took close to a month from the time I sent the check to when I received the books.

Use Chad's videos! Just Google that. He's a great teacher and explains things very clearly. Supplement with TBR and TPRH passages.

def look at j co review... google it. it's a series of 5-6 min, animated online lectures. very informative and quick-to-learn. also, they let you sign up on a per-subject basis, so you can sign up for just the genchem videos, if that's all you want

def look at j co review... google it. it's a series of 5-6 min, animated online lectures. very informative and quick-to-learn. also, they let you sign up on a per-subject basis, so you can sign up for just the genchem videos, if that's all you want

Definitely agree with this. I like them better than Chad's.