Re: Looking for Advice - CT Surgery Applicant in a couple years

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

brownmamba92

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,

I have been reading a lot of posts about experiences individuals have had with the I6 CT surgery programs/applications and I wanted to seek SDN advice regarding my chances and how to pick the places to do my away rotation.

- Dual Degree Student (DO/MBA) - Yes I am at an Ohio osteopathic school - I know it will deter some big name schools from possibly looking at me
- Step 1 - 251
- COMLEX 1 - 662 (98th percentile)
- My school does not rank but I am scored constantly in the Top 10 or 20 on my blocks
- Multiple abstracts and one publication so far. Have conducted research with a CT surgeon who happens to now be the chief of thoracics at an I6 programs
- Currently doing MBA now and will start 3rd year in the fall - hope to honor as many rotations as possible, if not all. Also plan to try to do more research during 3rd year. Currently doing research as a MBA student. Have produced data but PIs have been not quick to publish it.
- for my 4th year away rotations I am thinking: UCDavis (have DO residents, so I think I might have a chance), USC, UPMC, CCF (because its in Ohio, so they might care), and Yale (heard its DO friendly). Do you think I get a fair chance if I rotate at Columbia or Stanford? I dont think UPenn will look at me.