Re-Re-Applicant for 2017 cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snow2232

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I am a 3rd time applicant for 2017 cycle. Currently working as a medical scribe, volunteering, and studying for retaking the MCAT.

I originally applied out of college thinking that my MCAT would carry my GPA, but was unable to get off a waitlist. I then did an SMP (thinking my grades were the big issue in my application). After the SMP I had professional help with my essays and applied to a wide range of schools. I did not apply DO because I was unsure about them and believed (foolishly) that I would be a competitive MD applicant and I could save several thousand dollars. Now I do not really know what was the main issue with my application and would love any feedback.

Year in school: Graduated at a top 15 school in 2015 and graduated from a SMP program in 2016

Country/state of residence: OH

Schools to which you are applying: Albany, Case Western, CMU, Cooper, Drexel, EVMS, Geisel, GW, Hofstra, Howard, Indiana, U of Buffalo, Temple, Loyola, MCW, Meharry, MSU, NYMC, NeoMed, Oakland, Quinnipiac, Rosalind F, Rush, Thomas Jefferson, SUNY downstate, SUNY upstate, Ohio state, Toledo, UVM, Tufts, UC, U of Illinois, U of Missouri, VCU, Virginia Tech, Wanye, Stryker, Wright (32 total, same list as this year, and will be applying DO)

Cumulative GPA: Undergraduate 3.35, SMP 3.8

Science GPA: Undergraduate 3.3, SMP 3.8

MCAT Scores: 35 (12,11,12) I will need to retake this if I do not get in this cycle.

Research: Published paper in eLife, acknowledged in another paper from the same lab, and capstone project (mini-thesis) with research at my SMP institution. (500 hours, over two years plus thesis work)

Volunteering (clinical): Admittedly my weakest section, I am in the process of starting to volunteer at a local children's hospital.

• International volunteer at a general hospital (120 hours, over one month)
  • Work-study with Veterinarian (60 hours, over two months) [Occurred freshman year]
Physician shadowing:
  • Undergraduate shadowing: General pediatrics (60 hours, over one semester) [Part of a school program]
  • Graduate shadowing: Liver transplant, emergency department, pediatric neurology (80 hours, over two semesters)
  • Medical Scribe (~300 hours, currently doing)
Non-clinical volunteering
  • Undergraduate tutoring, elementary school students (60 hours, over 2 semesters)
  • Graduate tutoring, elementary-high school students (100 hours, currently doing 2 hours per week)
  • Team leader for a annual community service event (45 hours, over 3 years)
  • Team leader for Relay for Life (120 hours, over 4 years)
  • Orientation/student ambassador and move-in coordinator (80 hours, over 4 years)
  • Ronald McDonald House volunteer (70 hours, currently doing 4-6 hours per week)
Extracurricular activities
  • Fraternity treasurer (120 hours, over two semesters)
  • IFC executive/judicial member (120 hours, over two semesters)
  • Enjoy skiing, running, hiking, and join community outdoor clubs when I can.
Employment history
  • Ski Instructor (1,200 hours over 4 years) [High School]
  • Medical Scribe (~300 hours, currently doing)
Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n) Nope

Specialty of interest: Pediatrics or cardiology

Graduate degrees: Masters of Science is Physiology

Interest in rural health (y/n): Yes, grew up in a rural area

Thank you very much for any comments and feedback you may have.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you receive any interviews this cycle? You could still receive II's in the next month. With a new MCAT of at least 505 you should be competitive for all DO schools. Your previous MCAT is the equivalent of 518.

when did you apply and were complete? what was your turnaround time for secondaries?

the one thing might be that you haven't accumulated a lot of volunteering or community service hours even though you've spanned a long time in doing them. or there's a red flag in your LORs somewhere.

also recommend getting more eyeballs on your personal statement.

Members don't see this ad :)
when did you apply and were complete? what was your turnaround time for secondaries?

the one thing might be that you haven't accumulated a lot of volunteering or community service hours even though you've spanned a long time in doing them. or there's a red flag in your LORs somewhere.

also recommend getting more eyeballs on your personal statement.
Thanks for the response! I applied the past two cycles (only 10 schools my first cycle) and all of my secondaries were complete my mid-August. I am pretty sure that my LORs were good, they were from professors I knew well, my PI, and an fraternity chapter advisor. (In addition I had a great LoC from my SMP program head and two from the physicians I scribe with).

Good advice on the PS, I had quite a few people read it but they did not read my AMCAS so it is possible that it did not really mesh with my work experiences.

Did you receive any interviews this cycle? You could still receive II's in the next month. With a new MCAT of at least 505 you should be competitive for all DO schools. Your previous MCAT is the equivalent of 518.
Thanks for responding! My first cycle I got an interview at EVMS in March and was waitlisted, and this cycle I had an interview with NYMC in Nov but was rejected.

If you have no success this cycle definitely apply to 10 or more DO schools and you should receive several interviews. I am surprised you did not receive any interviews from your Ohio state schools. If your new MCAT is as good as your previous one it may be worth reapplying to most of your Ohio MD schools.

If you have no success this cycle definitely apply to 10 or more DO schools and you should receive several interviews. I am surprised you did not receive any interviews from your Ohio state schools. If your new MCAT is as good as your previous one it may be worth reapplying to most of your Ohio MD schools.
My currently plan is to apply for Caribbean MD programs for May and take the MCAT in April. If my score is good, I will apply DO broadly and to a handful of MD schools. If I bomb the test, I will go to the Caribbean since it will be my only option left.

Is that a good plan? I am very wary of Caribbean schools because there is partially no support and getting a residency would be difficult (especially if I want to go into surgery).

My currently plan is to apply for Caribbean MD programs for May and take the MCAT in April. If my score is good, I will apply DO broadly and to a handful of MD schools. If I bomb the test, I will go to the Caribbean since it will be my only option left.

Is that a good plan? I am very wary of Caribbean schools because there is partially no support and getting a residency would be difficult (especially if I want to go into surgery).
Definitely do not apply to Caribbean schools. As long as your MCAT is over 500 you should be able to receive DO interviews as long as you apply broadly. Post your score here when available

Definitely do not apply to Caribbean schools. As long as your MCAT is over 500 you should be able to receive DO interviews as long as you apply broadly. Post your score here when available
Will do. I will take it at the end of April.

oh, please please please don't go Caribb with these stats. You'll have no problem with DO skills. I am concerned about your interview skills having had two interviews previously and rejected at both. Maybe work on that?

I think a lot of people underestimate the value of volunteering, leadership, shadowing and LORs.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response! I applied the past two cycles (only 10 schools my first cycle) and all of my secondaries were complete my mid-August. I am pretty sure that my LORs were good, they were from professors I knew well, my PI, and an fraternity chapter advisor. (In addition I had a great LoC from my SMP program head and two from the physicians I scribe with).

Good advice on the PS, I had quite a few people read it but they did not read my AMCAS so it is possible that it did not really mesh with my work experiences.

also suggest adding Tulane, U of A, some Florida schools.

the more I think about it, the more I think it's a possible indication that your clinical exposure and volunteering make you fall just short of being offered an interview. it's good that you're pursuing more volunteering now, definitely keep that up and accumulate more hours.

would also be happy to take a look at your ps through pm if you need another opinion. good luck!

oh, please please please don't go Caribb with these stats. You'll have no problem with DO skills. I am concerned about your interview skills having had two interviews previously and rejected at both. Maybe work on that?
Thanks for the response! I am defiantly looking into that and have scheduled a few professional practice MMIs. During my interview at EVMS, I reasoned that because my interview was in March (possibly a false assumption) that I was going to be waitlisted anyway despite my interview abilities. Before the NYMC interview, I did around 5 online MMIs and practiced with friends/family, but now I will be looking into in-person MMI practice courses.

Reactions: 1 user