Re-take classes or just forget about Pharmacy?

Started by Anthony T
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

What should I do if I fail or get low grades?


  • Total voters
    34

Anthony T

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been having trouble, and I really want to be a Pharmacist. I work in a Pharmacy and love it. I just have a hard time with Math and Science in general.

I was an undecided major, but now that I'm doing pre-pharm, I'm taking Calc, Chem and Bio. Calc and Chem are getting easier, and to me, Bio is just getting harder and harder.

I failed my first test by 4 points, and just took my 2nd and I'm praying I did well.

Being that I'm already 19, I don't want to go to school until I'm 30 to be a Pharmacist. Plus, tuition at my school is expensive. Do you think if I don't do well this semester, I should re-take the classes or is just a waste of time any money? My counselor told me if I don't do well this semester, that I should start thinking of other career alternatives.
 
What kind of chem and bio first? If you're struggling in basic chem or bio that could be a problem.

Second, is this your first semester? A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to studying properly for science courses when they start out. I know I did.
 
I just separated from active duty military, so adjusting to the whole college life was so weird to me at first. The first couple of weeks was a little hard as far as the whole course load and adjusting to studying more since I was so used to taking one class at a time in the military-the military consumes you. After a while, I was fine and I have A's and B's in my class-shooting for all A's. I am taking Biolog and Chemisty with labs. Please do not give up. Give your classes another shot and give it time! If you are worried about tuition, try taking the classes at a community college. I am pretty sure that the teachers would be able to help you with any problems that you have. Pharmacy is a great career and I would not want to hear about someone who wants to become a pharmacist but school stood in the way of getting their dream. I wish you all the luck in the world. You are young, you have your whole life ahead of you. Good luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You're early on in your pursuit of pharmacy, so you're allowed some wiggle room.

You might consider supplemental texts to help, or maybe study groups. While you're allowed some wiggle room, now's also the time where you have to figure out how to succeed. If you drop out of the program now, what program would you go into? And what would happen if you did poorly your first semester in that program?
 
What kind of chem and bio first? If you're struggling in basic chem or bio that could be a problem.

Second, is this your first semester? A lot of people have a hard time adjusting to studying properly for science courses when they start out. I know I did.


It's my first semester of pre-pharm courses, yes. And it's the basic general bio and chem.
 
How many hours do you spend each week studing for each class? Do you follow the 2-3hrs/ credit? If not why?
 
and I really want to be a Pharmacist. I work in a Pharmacy and love it.
and


Being that I'm already 19, I don't want to go to school until I'm 30 to be a Pharmacist.
bother me.

These two statements, for some reason, give me pause. You love pharmacy, you want to be a pharmacist (really!) and yet, you're hung up on this age thing.

It seems, at least to me, that you're taking a very myopic approach to your academics not uncommon to people your age.

Get some tutoring, find out where exactly your weak spots are, and attack them. Abandon all your vises for a couple of years, or something. YOu may very well be spending a lot of hours studying for bio and chem, but if you're not studying properly, you might as well be sleeping.


Again, you're only 19. Not 19 already. Change that mindset!
 
I only voted give up because of your demeanor. Your past few threads suggest that you don't actually think you can do this despite how many time you emphasize that this is the career for you. Saying that that you suck at science and math only furthers your belief that you cannot do this. Start with a blank slate, don't go in with any restricting thoughts, and just do it.

It's early, you're only 19, you have time to improve. If you aren't getting the grades you want, then there is something wrong in the way that you are studying for your classes. Find the problem and fix it. If you are putting in the time that you think you should, maybe consider what you are doing during that time. If you're zoning out or easily distracted try and find ways to keep yourself focus. Maybe study for 15 minutes then give yourself a 2 minute break then study for 15 and then break for 2. Or get some help if you're struggling with the material. I'm gonna guess your school has tutors, seek help from them. If time management is your problem then you can easily fix that. Set a schedule a week in advance so you know when you have free time and when you need to study.

But phathead has a point. These are general science classes. Compared to pharmacy school they're cake. If you really put your best foot forward, and I mean really give it your all, and still find you cant do it, maybe reconsider your career choice.
 
I wouldn't quit after just one semester. Science classes are a bit like learning a new language. At first it seems so foreign but it gets easier as you gain some familiarity. I suggest that you review your notes everyday and find someone who can answer your questions. If you have to, park yourself in office hours and get direct help from your TAs or professors. If you put in the hard work now to thoroughly learn the concepts, it will pay dividends down the road when your later classes build off that material. Conversely, if you skate by now without real understanding, you are going to have to put in way more work in future classes. Get some help, put in extra time, something, but it is way too early to give up.
 
Last edited:
I wouldn't quit after just one semester. Science classes are a bit like learning a new language. At first it seems so foreign but it gets easier as you gain some familiarity. I suggest that you review your notes everyday and find someone who can answer your questions. If you have to, park yourself in office hours and get direct help from your TAs or professors. If you put in the hard work now to thoroughly learn the concepts, it will pay dividends down the road when your later classes build off that material. Conversely, if you skate by now without real understanding, you are going to have to put in way more work in future classes. Get some help, put in extra time, something, but it is way too early to give up.


Exactly. I do not think anyone can be "Good" at science... science is not something that depends on the way your brain works. Math and English are those types of subjects... now it is true that science and math somewhat go hand-in-hand, but from what I have read/experienced... it is more about being dedicated and memorization. Some peoples brains like numbers, some peoples brains like words . . . both of those people have the ability to remember things (not necessarily in the same capacity) but regardless, just do it . . . study , make flash cards, do a study group, find another book to go along with the course, just do it...
 
I found a Chemistry tutor and he is really helpful. Now I just need to find one for Biology lol.

The problem is, is that I do not find any of the material interesting. Which probably is why I am not studying as much as I should be (but I do study). I love working in the Pharmacy, but reading/studying for things like Biology can put me to sleep. I'm so confused about my life right now...
 
I didn't find my classes that interesting my freshman year (mainly because I had taken the AP and other advanced courses in high school, so the material was review). It's important to learn good study habits now, or you'll end up like me and have to retake 2 of your main classes (of course there were other things involved, but let's not make excuses). Trust me, it gets better. My anatomy class is my favorite (but toughest) course I'm taking. My prof teaches it in a way that you HAVE to know what is happening, and what WOULD happen if TTX was introduced into a system, not just pulling verbatim from the notes she gives you in lecture. She puts answers like A, B, C: A and B, D: All of the above, E: none of the above. It really helps stimulate those neurons in your brain. 😛 Ochem is just as interesting to me and I love micro too! So, I would say make sure you aren't bored next year. If you are, well, there's something wrong with the situation.
 
I found a Chemistry tutor and he is really helpful. Now I just need to find one for Biology lol.

The problem is, is that I do not find any of the material interesting. Which probably is why I am not studying as much as I should be (but I do study). I love working in the Pharmacy, but reading/studying for things like Biology can put me to sleep. I'm so confused about my life right now...

B/c of those reasons you stated above, just quit. You think pharmacy classes are more interesting thus help you stay awake, and require less time to study, do you? Showing no dedication, devotion, and sacrifice whereas asking for rewards is 👎.
 
B/c of those reasons you stated above, just quit. You think pharmacy classes are more interesting thus help you stay awake, and require less time to study, do you? Showing no dedication, devotion, and sacrifice whereas asking for rewards is 👎.

No, that's not what I said, so you can stop twisting my words around. 🙂

I said some of the material is very boring to me, which is probably why I'm not studying/reading through my textbook as much as I should be. I didn't say I'm not studying or reading at all. If something is interesting, I'd be more eager to learn about it. I'm not saying "I'm not going to study because this stuff is not interesting" but I'm just saying that I think sometimes I choose subconsciously not to work as hard because of the material I'm currently learning.
 
B/c of those reasons you stated above, just quit. You think pharmacy classes are more interesting thus help you stay awake, and require less time to study, do you? Showing no dedication, devotion, and sacrifice whereas asking for rewards is 👎.

Admittedly, you gotta say that there have been some awfully painful PCare classes to sit through and other gems throughout pharmacy school 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How many hours do you spend each week studing for each class? Do you follow the 2-3hrs/ credit? If not why?

2-3hrs per credit? If a person takes 15 credits, that's 30-45 hours to study per week. Do people really actually do this, especially while holding down jobs and being active in various organizations, and while actually attending class?
 
2-3hrs per credit? If a person takes 15 credits, that's 30-45 hours to study per week. Do people really actually do this, especially while holding down jobs and being active in various organizations, and while actually attending class?

I study more than that in pharmacy school. And I work on a (very) part time basis.
 
2-3hrs per credit? If a person takes 15 credits, that's 30-45 hours to study per week. Do people really actually do this, especially while holding down jobs and being active in various organizations, and while actually attending class?

I work about 40 hours a week, but I don't think I study that amount. Really I started studying about a week before a test and that's good enough for an A. Maybe I'm a weird one though.
 
Bro, you are still 19. There are people who graduated with a bachelor's degree and just started taking pre-pharmacy prerequisites.
 
Bro, you are still 19. There are people who graduated with a bachelor's degree and just started taking pre-pharmacy prerequisites.
Yeah, we have quite a few people in the 30-45 range in my P1 class. Its really never too late if you have the desire and dedication.