1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Re-Taking a non-Pre-Med Science Course?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrAlex86, Apr 13, 2007.

1. DrAlex86

Pre-Medical
    Hey there, there is something that has been bugging me for a long while. I am pre-med at Northwestern University, and last quarter I have taken just one science course that is NOT part of the pre-med curriculum. I had a very bad quarter because I had a death in the family and was also improperly placed into a course that took up all of my time (Which I luckily dropped). So my grades were an A-, B, and B-.

Unfortunately my B- was in Astronomy 101, which I learned will feed into my BCPM GPA. I learned that students are able to retake courses, which the grade out of the two courses will be averaged and it will state that I retook the course.

I was wondering if I should retake the course next year so I can pull that up. I feel that a 2.7 is killing my BCPM GPA... But I also wonder if it would look bad to medical schools if I retook the course? I also think that I have a good opportunity to raise my grades since I'm a late-starting non-traditional student and have yet to take all my core sciences! But nonetheless, the 2.7 really hurts and I do not know whether to let it go or do something about it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! :thumbup:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. chickenlittle84

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi! I really don't think you need to retake that. First, a B- is obviously not great, but also not that bad. Second, I have talked to my pre-med advisor about retaking courses and she really does not think retaking courses is a good thing to do. She said the admissions committee of my university's medical school does not like to see courses taken over. Instead, they would like to see students take an upper level course in the same subject matter and do really well to show they mastered the material. I guess it just doesn't carry a lot of weight to retake since you have already seen the material. If your record is otherwise solid, I really don't think anyone is going to notice a B-...and especially since it is not in one of the basic sciences...

4. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The schools will see your B- not matter what you do. A B- is doesn't look as bad as a C or D. Retaking would only boost your BCMP GPA a tiny bit. However, you could accomplish the same boost by just taking another science course and doing well. Everything just averages. It's a waste of time for you to "master" astronomy, IMO.

5. Agent47

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Those people above me r correct!!! Don't waste your time re-taking the class since it's non-science. And do better in other classes.

Good Luck ..Hope u get in!!

6. Instatewaiter

Instatewaiter But... there's a troponin
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Are you sure that astro 101 will be BCMP?

7. DrAlex86

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies! I appreciate it! :) I guess that I'll just push through with other science courses next year and try to do my best. Also, I was told by my pre-med advisor at NU that it would go on my BCPM, but I guess you can say that it's not 100% then.

8. Institute

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Before you fill out your AMCAS, review your GPA. If it doesn't look up to par, then retake the classes. There's no reason for them to look down upon you for it. Everyone has peaks and lulls in school and in life in general. And IMO, if the admin board can't see that, then it's not a school I'd like to integrate myself into.

9. Tired Pigeon

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not worth the effort. Better to devote your time into doing well in your remaining courses and rocking the MCAT. If you accomplish those things, nobody's going give a **** about a B- in astro 101.:)

10. LexiLuthor

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It'll be fine. I got a C+ (Oh, the horror!) in general chem II and didn't even have a good excuse... still got into an MD school. Just do well in your other science classes as much as possible.