Re-taking Orgo II at CC?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentG_XO

Reaction score
Hi everyone! Had a question for those in dental school or might know a little bit about admissions!

During undergrad, I got a D+ in Orgo II (chemistry is not my strong suit). I am finishing up my application for dental school this cycle and I've read on a few threads here that most schools will require me to retake that course during this upcoming fall/spring semester (since they rarely make exceptions for C- or lower). The problem is I have already graduated (Class of 2020). I attended a pretty competitive university where it was admittedly hard to compete with fellow pre-health student and I was almost always on the low end of the curve in chem classes which is why I never retook it while completing my bachelors.

Would it be a bad move to retake this course at community college? This would be my only CC credit. My local 4 year university places a larger priority on registration for degree-seeking students and I don't think I would even be able to register for a heavily-sought after course like orgo being that I'm a non-degree student. Not to mention CC will be cheaper.

I consulted with a pre-health advisor a few weeks back about it and she said that some dental schools will look poorly on retaking a difficult prereq like Orgo II at cc but I would like to hear thoughts from others.

Might also be important to mention that I'm completing a 1 year SMP during this "gap" year at that local university. Unfortunately, organic chem is not a part of its curriculum.

If it's helpful, my school list is below (yes, I know Tufts and Boston are tough on CC credit)

Case Western
U of Florida
Nova
LECOM
Boston University
Tufts University
Touro
Dental College of Georgia
Medical University of South Carolina
Midwestern (Illinois)
U of Maryland
U of Pittsburgh
Western

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, I hate to agree with the pre-health advisor because it would be so convenient to do it at CC, but most schools do look at community college credits poorly as far as sciences go. I think you should look at the websites of the schools you are most interested in, see the blurbs they post about community college credits and go from there. I would even reach out and contact say your top 3 choices and just flat out ask them what their view is. The worst possible thing they can do is ignore you?

Reactions: 1 user
Hi, I hate to agree with the pre-health advisor because it would be so convenient to do it at CC, but most schools do look at community college credits poorly as far as sciences go. I think you should look at the websites of the schools you are most interested in, see the blurbs they post about community college credits and go from there. I would even reach out and contact say your top 3 choices and just flat out ask them what their view is. The worst possible thing they can do is ignore you?

Thanks so much for your input! I was definitely thinking about reaching out to my top 3 personally and hopefully they'll give me their two cents! Most of the websites have said I can use CC credit but upper-level sciences are encouraged to be taken at a 4-year university so I would assume that includes Orgo II

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, Orgo II is generally 300 hundred level. Honestly, when I was in the days of questions and pre-reqs I thought that asking someone meant I was dumb or that they didn’t care or they didn’t want to help. I‘ve come to find out over the years most admissions offices will try to answer your question in the best way they can and will do so nicely.

Sounds like taking it at a CC is your best bet. Take it from me, I did all my prereq courses save 2, at CC, and failed physics 1 the first time I took it. BU and tufts claim to not accept any cc credits but often they will via special permission, after the fact. And there are like 50 other schools that don’t have any issue with taking classes at a CC. Note, they always “recommend” classes from a four year university, but as long as the rest of your app looks good, believe me when I tell you, they don’t care if you took some classes at CC. Be sure you get an A this time around to not leave any room for questioning your mastery. And be ready to explain why you failed the first time in interviews. And no, the reasoning you gave that you went to a competitive college is not a good reason. Instead say something like chemistry did not come easy to me and I realized the second time through the huge commitment I had to do in my study of the subject in order to master chemistry. Also just explain that you needed to take it at a CC given the fact that you graduated and due to cost.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Sounds like taking it at a CC is your best bet. Take it from me, I did all my prereq courses save 2, at CC, and failed physics 1 the first time I took it. BU and tufts claim to not accept any cc credits but often they will via special permission, after the fact. And there are like 50 other schools that don’t have any issue with it. Note, they always “recommend” classes from a four year university, but as long as the rest of your app looks good, believe me when I tell you, they don’t care if you took some classes at CC. Be sure you get an A this time around to not leave any room for questioning your mastery. And be ready to explain why you failed the first time in interviews. And no, the reasoning you gave that you went to a competitive college is not a good reason. Instead say something like chemistry did not come easy to me and I realized the second time through the huge commitment I had to do to my study of the subject in order to master chemistry. Also just explain that you needed to take it at a CC given the fact that you graduated and due to cost.
Thanks so much for your input! Yep, I think the whole competitive college thing is just my brain's way of reassuring me I tried my best (I really didn't :rolleyes:) I'm hoping explaining my upward trend and good grades in courses like biochemistry may indicate my improved work ethic. Chemistry is my biggest blemish on my transcript for sure and I'll definitely explain to them I had to change a lot of my habits to better myself!

Sounds like taking it at a CC is your best bet. Take it from me, I did all my prereq courses save 2, at CC, and failed physics 1 the first time I took it. BU and tufts claim to not accept any cc credits but often they will via special permission, after the fact. And there are like 50 other schools that don’t have any issue with taking classes at a CC. Note, they always “recommend” classes from a four year university, but as long as the rest of your app looks good, believe me when I tell you, they don’t care if you took some classes at CC. Be sure you get an A this time around to not leave any room for questioning your mastery. And be ready to explain why you failed the first time in interviews. And no, the reasoning you gave that you went to a competitive college is not a good reason. Instead say something like chemistry did not come easy to me and I realized the second time through the huge commitment I had to do in my study of the subject in order to master chemistry. Also just explain that you needed to take it at a CC given the fact that you graduated and due to cost.
I second this from what others have told me that are in MD/DO programs even though this is pre-dental.

I think a lot people on here are overachievers and take it that it’s a MUST for prereqs being completed at a 4-year university. I took my gen chems, microbio, and Physio at a community college, received 6 interviews (although went to 3 and been waitlisted). It really doesn’t matter as long you excel in other courses along with having a solid application.

Ex: I’m pretty sure an A in OCHEM 1 would look better than someone taking OCHEM 1 at a 4-year university receiving a C. That’s just my two cents.

I second this from what others have told me that are in MD/DO programs even though this is pre-dental.

I think a lot people on here are overachievers and take it that it’s a MUST for prereqs being completed at a 4-year university. I took my gen chems, microbio, and Physio at a community college, received 6 interviews (although went to 3 and been waitlisted). It really doesn’t matter as long you excel in other courses along with having a solid application.

Ex: I’m pretty sure an A in OCHEM 1 would look better than someone taking OCHEM 1 at a 4-year university receiving a C. That’s just my two cents.
Thanks for your input! 6 interviews is amazing, that definitely gives me some reassurance! I felt like it was unfair for dental schools to look down on CC credit when that's often what people can afford which is why I definitely wanted a second opinion besides my advisor.

Thanks for your input! 6 interviews is amazing, that definitely gives me some reassurance! I felt like it was unfair for dental schools to look down on CC credit when that's often what people can afford which is why I definitely wanted a second opinion besides my advisor.
Most advisors will tell you take it at a university because you're already enrolled at their school and its more money for their school. Remember, advisors are their to represent their schools and make sure more classes are being taken at their schools.

Reactions: 1 users