Re-taking Science Pre Reqs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Faze2

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I am in the process of taking my science pre-reqs and I am doing well so far. (A's so far)

However, a long time ago I took bio and chem at my first college when I was 19 and did very poorly in them. I think I got a D's in both. (A's in the labs though. Go figure)

I am 25 now, and I'll spare everyone the whole "I'm a different person now" speech, cause that is obvious or else I wouldn't be here to begin with.

My question is how much will Med schools or Grad programs look at those grades compared to the ones that I am getting now. Will they hopefully not really put too much weight on them cause they were so long ago when I was "immature", or will they still come back to haunt me? :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes...They will come back to haunt you. :thumbdown: :(

But...if you ace (get all A's :thumbup:) in upper-level sciences and the rest of your prereqs, and do great on the MCAT (get 30+, 10 or better in every section :idea:), have great extra curricular activities:cool: , and show a genuine interest in medicine:love: ...AND GET YOUR APPLICATION IN EARLY (unlike me who waited around until 9/15 to submit his primary application, yeah the deadlines are in November but go figure:scared: )...you'll have a great chance! :)

As for retaking those classes, if they were prereqs (like sciences, psychology, english, etc) and you got less than a C in the class, I would retake them. If it was a non-science class (like business) and not a prereq, then just forget about it.

:luck:

P.S. isn't it strange that your bankruptcies fall off after 10 years, bad credit after 7 years, statute of limitations is not that long. (between 1-25 years depending on the severity)...but your academic record if FOREVER?