Re-Writing Secondaries

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyQC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As re-applicants, are we expected to re-write our secondary essays? I've been reviewing the ones I wrote last year and there's not a whole lot I would change; the answers to questions like "Why this school?" and "What is your favorite hobby?" haven't changed since 2013.

Thanks for any input!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you are (at least that's what I was told as a reapplicant). Maybe you can use parts of your old one, but definitely try to make it sound different.

Reactions: 1 user
many will tell you to rewrite.

anecdotally - i changed nothing for secondary essays. only change on my application was MCAT score.

Members don't see this ad :)
How would they even know that you reused your secondary essay? They're not going to check your first application.

Admissions rep at MSUCOM said they look at your past app to see what has changed since last time you applied. You don't have to change everything, but if it sounds outdated, definitely look it over.

As re-applicants, are we expected to re-write our secondary essays? I've been reviewing the ones I wrote last year and there's not a whole lot I would change; the answers to questions like "Why this school?" and "What is your favorite hobby?" haven't changed since 2013.

Don't forget that you were unsuccessful last time around. It's up to you to figure out whether your secondary responses may have been part of that.

How would they even know that you reused your secondary essay? They're not going to check your first application.

This is false. Plenty of schools actually do compare the applications when making a decision about interviewing and/or admitting an applicant.

I meant the secondary essays; I doubt that adcoms will do a comparison of a reapplicant's secondary essays. I'm sure they'll look at your GPA, MCAT, letters and PS from both applications. That doesn't take a lot of time.

Don't forget that you were unsuccessful last time around. It's up to you to figure out whether your secondary responses may have been part of that.

This is false. Plenty of schools actually do compare the applications when making a decision about interviewing and/or admitting an applicant.

Thanks. My secondary essays are one of the few things that I'm proud of from last cycle. I'll review each and every one, but I imagine that there are a number of other reasons I was unsuccessful this time around.

You may like your essays, but the admissions board may not. I edited a friend's personal statement and thought it was very mediocre, basically a typical 'here's what I've accomplished' essay. He only changed the grammatical errors I pointed out and had multiple interviewers tell him they thought it was outstanding. He ended up going to a great school while I ended up reapplying. I'd ask some people who you know will be brutally honest to read them and see what they think. Even if you end up not changing a thing, it's always good to get a few different perspectives on them.

Thanks for any input!

Ask the others to read it and give you some feed back and try to know more about that school.Is it known for its research, for the quality of its programs, teachers.... Show them that you are want performance and excellence, that is important in the medical field. You have to show them that you want to be an excellent doctor, someone that is worth that seat.